PDA

View Full Version : How hard was it for you to quit your full time job?

KathysLGC
10-28-2004, 09:56 AM
The thought is in my mind for next year but it's so scary to loose my salary. I no longer need the Ins. cause i'm now married and she has good benefits. Part time is tuff when you have a regular 8:30-5 M-F job. I got close to 9 years with my job but the room for advancement is getting smaller each year as i am already at the top of my pay scale......

Gravely_Man
10-28-2004, 10:12 AM
Stepping out on your own is always a hard thing. Is you have the right equipment and a client base to start with take the plunge. I would however talk with you current employer and let them know what you are planning on doing. They might be willing to leave your position available for you for a short time if things donít work out. I am sure you will never need this safety net. Best of luck to you.

Gravely_Man

KathysLGC
10-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Only have one set customer right now. I'm just now getting ready to start up again. i have some house I do but on a cash basis and they know I'm restarting. They started as favors and seem to be potential customers as soon as I get things rolling. I need to get software next and figure it all out this winter plus I have to get a tax ID, Ins, etc. I wouldn't quit my job till I had too much work to do part time but that was the case two years ago and with many life changes I had to leave the landscaping behind.

Gravely_Man
10-28-2004, 11:42 AM
It sounds like you have everything set up well. Wait until you have too much work to handle the full time non-mowing job first. A fall back plan is always a good thing to have.

Gravely_Man

mtdman
10-28-2004, 09:57 PM
I have the opposite problem. Everyone keeps telling me to quit the lawn biz and go get a full time job. I keep telling them to mind their own business. I can't imagine quitting a situation where I am in control of the money and cash flow to go be a slave to someone else who can fire you on a whim.

:D

EastProLawn
10-28-2004, 10:22 PM
It was not hard at all, I was tired up working my way up and then the businesses would sell or move to another state. I just said enough is enough.

chipk1
10-28-2004, 10:26 PM
It was not hard at all, I was tired up working my way up and then the businesses would sell or move to another state. I just said enough is enough.

Ditto. Thats what made my decision so easy. I was tired of the corporate bull spit! It's been 3 years now and I don't think I could ever work for someone again.

Green-Pro
10-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Gotta say I'm looking forward to being out from under the corporate thumb in a big way. I worked in three different factories for about 15 years and now in an office for the past 6 all for the same company. Two things- it has been a lifelong dream of mine to go into business ownership, and I'm not to proud to have to look for work, manual labor, or whatever if the need should arise (I'm approaching this with the attitude that the need won't arise :) ) Point is I've noticed a lot of people in the office where I work that behave as if this is the only place in the world that gives out paychecks or you can make money at. These folks would be devastated if they were told they were out of a job the next day, and when the shellshock finally wore off the prevailing attitude would likely be one of "that job is beneath me, or I am way over qualified for that, etc. etc.
Anyway thats just my common man's observation of life in an office, remember for listen closely to what your heart and guts tell you, define the risk you are willing to take and finally for every window that closes another of opportunity is opened.

:sleeping: Good night

G-P

boxoffire
10-29-2004, 12:19 AM
Yeah I just recently got soured on the corporate world when I was laid off in this wonderful economy of ours right now after working 14 years for them. I thought about what you mentioned concerning this girl I was dating. Figured if we ended up getting married and she worked full time, I could get on her health plan and leave the office life and just mow and play golf more. Well, neither happened as we aren't even dating anymore, I lost my full time job, and now am forced to do this for now while looking for work in my old field of computer networking. Very competitive these days and I didn't keep my skills up to date as needed. I wondering if this will be my new calling. I'm like some others though, don't feel like kissin anybody else's butt or wait to go in one morning and get canned. Screw them!

KathysLGC
10-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Thats my biggest concern. I work for an out sourcing Co. and i see it all the time. People getting laid off or their job eliminated because of us and the technology we bring in to do their job more efficiently.. We offer low cost solutions to Co.s but to stay low cost our salary's suffer. It's only a matter of time before my job restructures it self and gets rid of high paid employees like all the other companies do..... i just hope i can beat them to it.

GarPA
10-29-2004, 11:21 AM
you need to do a business plan b4 you even think about starting any kind of business. You can get templates on the internet. The plan does not have to be pages and pages but doing the plan will make you think about all the issues asssociated with starting any kind of business..I guarantee you the process will make you think about things you had not thought of

Frosty_03
10-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Playboy the only advise I van give you is to "GO FOR IT", because if you don't then you will always be thinking about it. I think if you go for it and fail at least you tried and you can go about your other business and still keep this as a side thing. For me it has been easy cause I am retire from the Navy and as long as I stay healthy and alive I recieve a pension every month and I have to say it's not to shabby. I would say you have the equipment and a good start, sounds like you have to build up your client base. Always keep it positive and good things will happen. Good Luck and God Speed!!!!!! :cool2:

KathysLGC
10-29-2004, 01:43 PM
you need to do a business plan b4 you even think about starting any kind of business. You can get templates on the internet. The plan does not have to be pages and pages but doing the plan will make you think about all the issues asssociated with starting any kind of business..I guarantee you the process will make you think about things you had not thought of

I remember seeing a post recently about that. It looked complicated but i see your point. I'll look into it. Thanks.

DennisF
10-29-2004, 05:33 PM
Playboy

Looking at your Bio I see you're still a "youngster" so you have a lot of years of earning potential ahead of you. I would encourage you to follow your intuition if you want to strike out on your own. There is no better feeling than owning your own business and being in control of your future.

I don't want to encourage to quit your current position, but if you see no future advancement possibilities then I wouldn't hesitate to go full time in the business. You will never know your possibilities or limitations unless you test them. If you fail (and I doubt that you will) you will always have your past experience in your present field to fall back on. Good luck!

TJLC
10-29-2004, 05:35 PM
I was making $6.00, yes I said $6.00 per hour before I started my lawncare business. Now I make 4 times that and I work for ME. For me it was a NO BRAINER!!!

bobbygedd
10-29-2004, 05:37 PM
playboy fess up. not to be rude, but we're all family here. tell me what you're currently making, and i'll give you a straight foward answer wether i think you should walk or stay. i walked out on my job of 21 yrs on november 15th, 2003. tool box in one hand, middle finger over my shoulder, in the middle of my shift on a complicated job. i was making around $27 an hour. never regreted it. of course, i havn't been sober since, but i'm having the time of my life

mtdman
10-29-2004, 05:47 PM
i havn't been sober since

I think that's the first honest thing I've read from bobby!

:D :D

drsogr
10-29-2004, 07:21 PM
playboy fess up. not to be rude, but we're all family here. tell me what you're currently making, and i'll give you a straight foward answer wether i think you should walk or stay. i walked out on my job of 21 yrs on november 15th, 2003. tool box in one hand, middle finger over my shoulder, in the middle of my shift on a complicated job. i was making around $27 an hour. never regreted it. of course, i havn't been sober since, but i'm having the time of my life

LOL I haven't been sober since! I love it!

Scraper
10-29-2004, 07:42 PM
At first it was hard to do, but this past spring I finally did it as I had the house and everything else where the bank would want securances. So far I have no complaints or worries. Bring on the snow.

Scraper
10-29-2004, 07:43 PM
of course, i havn't been sober since, but i'm having the time of my life

Same here....LOL

bobbygedd
10-29-2004, 08:02 PM
aint it true scraper? i caught more fish, and drank more beer this year, then in the last 20 yrs combined. god bless america

Scraper
10-29-2004, 08:32 PM
aint it true scraper? i caught more fish, and drank more beer this year, then in the last 20 yrs combined. god bless america

Amen brother!

Not to mention the fall striper run is right around the corner. Now that the grass has slowed down...I am game for any day. Bobby...PM me if you'd like to go on a headboat trip. I know you're up north so Id be up for Point Pleasant area if you are.

P.S. To heck with the business plan...it isn't like you're opening up a bank. LOL That is unless you're starting the next Brickman and in that case...I am your angel in disguise!

bobbygedd
10-29-2004, 08:35 PM
headboat? ha ha ha, i got my own boat, went the other day, caught 5 stripers 2 minutes from the dock. the "cows" are comming in soon, 30-40 pound fish, right in my back yard. you are welcome to come on out if you like

Scraper
10-29-2004, 08:43 PM
headboat? ha ha ha, i got my own boat,

Well then...even better...

chefdrp
10-29-2004, 10:41 PM
it is hard for me to quit my chef job but i a m doing it this spring. I have grat equiptment and a reat client base right now. I am ready. I have talked to other LCOs in my town and they all say go for it.

CathyLynn
10-30-2004, 01:46 AM
Why not try to find a 2nd shift job or a part time evening job so that you have some sure cash coming in and prime times free to develope your business. If you have your "plan" on paper and have worked it through yoyr mnind well, then you will know in your heart when you are able to stand alone--it's scary--yet a great feeling. At some point in time, you may need credit and having other employment may help you get the loans/leases that you may need to have suitable equipment.

Precision
10-31-2004, 07:23 PM
Last year I decided my ex and NYC were not for me anymore. I packed my backpack and got on my motorcyle and moved back to Florida. Started a lawn business and have not been happier.

No more $1600 a month rent. My mortgage is $800 and I have half an acre not 400 sq ft.

I work 20 less hours per week. (60 not 80).

I am the BOSS.

One year in and looking to put in a second crew for next season. Money was kinda sparce this year with all the equipement purchases to keep from getting a helper, but next year should be sweet. Looking to net $45-50K. Still way below $75K I was making, but the cost of living is so much lower here, and the taxes, it should be a wash. Not to mention I am not at the top of the pyramid here.

Chef work was fun (but 10 years was enough) and 3500-4000 hours and $75K and 45% taxes bites.

Do the business plan, work the money end and get out there and do a good job. ADVERTISE and ask for referrals. The accounts and money are there.

MiracleMan
10-31-2004, 10:00 PM
11 years ago I quit my non-profit suit job and started cutting grass. Big step from breakfast meetings, Rotary Club and Chamber of Commerce to shorts, picking up trash and grass covered socks. I don't ever want to go back to corporate america. Five years ago I got married. The wife was making $50K a year, we had ins., 401K and things were Whooppie!
Then came her company's bankruptsy and her ultimate lay off. We had a 3 month old baby girl, and had just acquired our $1,200. monthly custom built mortage to boot.

Today my wife is a stay at home mommie and moi is trucking along bringing home the bacon. Alone! Wheeewwww ...
Life! Life is good.
God has a way of taking care of the honest man.

To all of you guys AND GALS who question whether you can do it. YOU CAN.
NO FEAR - NO DOUBT!

Evergreenpros
10-31-2004, 11:58 PM
I have the opposite problem. Everyone keeps telling me to quit the lawn biz and go get a full time job. I keep telling them to mind their own business. I can't imagine quitting a situation where I am in control of the money and cash flow to go be a slave to someone else who can fire you on a whim.

:D

People are wired differently. Some can't, for the life of them, imagine why anyone would even own or start a business. Others can't imagine NOT owning a business. Thankfully we live in a free country where we can do as we see fit.

KathysLGC
11-01-2004, 09:44 AM

LoL not hiding anything. I make $18 an hour right now. My biggest reason for hanging onto this job was for the Ins. but now thats taken care of. So you where a mechanic huh?

bobbygedd
11-01-2004, 11:12 AM
i was a journeyman printer. $18 an hour, and you don't need the bennies? what the hell are you waiting for? if you told me you were making $30 an hr i'd say think hard. so you're grossing like $720, taking home perhaps $500? stick it out till march 1st. on march 1st, walk in, start gathering your personal belongings. when your boss asks wtf you are doing, tell him to go screw himself

Precision
11-01-2004, 11:52 AM
you may want to take a slightly less bridge burning approach than god ole BG, but his point is correct. If you have the discipline it takes to get out of bed and do the job when you are your own boss and you are willing to live lean for 6-18 months, Then you are crazy not to do it.

But be honest with yourself. If you won't work if someone isn't behind you riding your butt, you better stay where you are.

bobbygedd
11-01-2004, 01:04 PM
precision brings a valid point. i am going thru this right now. i was a ball of fire back in march, april, and may. as i started to realize there was nobody forcing me to go to work everyday, it became harder and harder to get out of bed in the morning. when i started to realize it was 100 degrees, nobody was forcing me to be there, and i had a nice cool swimming pool and a fridge full of silver bullets, it became easier and easier to quit early. you need discipline, big time, or, you need to really need the cash.

KathysLGC
11-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Discipline is not a factor for me. I can't sit still. I need to be out there working. I like to work. I've always hated the corporate world but having a kid at 19 was tuff. I'm now 30 and need to make more money. My girls father (my father in law) got laid off after working for a Co. for 22 years. He's 55 and SOL. Had to sell his Mobile home because he can't find a job that will pay him even half his salary. Yeah thats not happening to me. I really appreciate all the encouragement you guy all have for me. Thanks.