PDA

View Full Version : Scag tiger cub belt issues.

jt5019
10-28-2004, 11:15 AM
I bought my 48" scag tiger cub late 2002.I dont really use it that much.It has about 270 hours on it.

My problem is two months ago the drive belt tore.I took it to my scag dealer waited over a week and finally got the new belt.They tested everything said the mower was good to go.Just last week the belt went again and i have only put 60 more hours tops since the last belt.It doesn't brake the belt but the edges become torn and the belt just falls off while driving(and its a pain to fix in the middle of an account)Its now back at the dealer and they tell me i have to wait another two damn weeks for the belt to come in.I told them something must be wrong, no way should it be throwing belts that fast.All they seem to say is "will look at it".This is my primary mower in the fall for leaves so its killing me to be sitting here waiting.

Has anyone else with tiger cubs have a belt problem? besides this the mower has worked great for me.

Should i contact scag personally and tell them the bs i am dealing with?

J&R
10-28-2004, 01:16 PM
The drive belt or pump belt. That goes from hydo pulley to hydo pulley. If it's that belt you could have bad hydo pulley. thay had a problem with those on my Turf Tiger.You will need to replace them and not at your cost.

jt5019
10-28-2004, 01:46 PM
It's the belt that makes the mower drive.There is a idle Arm assembly that keeps tension on the belt.The dealer mentioned of a problem in that area on other mowers but said mine was ok the first time they changed belts.Cost me 100 bucks for a belt change that time.Thats why im a little annoyed now

ed2hess
10-28-2004, 06:41 PM
This sounds like an alignment problem or bad pulleys. Can't you look at it when it is running to see if everything is aligned? This sounds like an bad dealer you need to get in touch with a SCAG technical rep. and go over the problem. Scag has two year warranty on most stuff...and I would argue that the hydro belt is not something that you can absuse!

BMFD92
10-28-2004, 06:49 PM
sounds like a bad pulley to me. I had the same problem on my old scag once. If its a 2002 it should be under warranty right?

jt5019
10-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Yes, i think warranty will cover it if thats determined to be the problem.I cant look at it because its already at the shop(btw they are taking their sweet old time with it)When we replaced the belt last time they said they checked it over and everything looked fine.Obviously something is off.3 belts and only 270 hours is crazy.If they haven't looked at my mower by Monday i will be contacting a scag rep.I cant believe a scag dealer wouldn't have a belt,both times they had to order it and then it takes like a week and a half to get it in.I can order the damn thing on line and get it in three days :angry:

LLandscaping
10-28-2004, 07:54 PM
We have 2 Scag Tiger Cub both 48/19 Kawasaki's. This past summer the deck belt kept jumping off, so we put it back on two time and on the second time the belt separated. We took it to the dealer it turned out to be a bad idler pulley. They replaced it under warranty.

sawman65
10-28-2004, 08:11 PM
something must be wrong.and it should not take any two weeks to get a belt
they should have it in stock.do they have one on the floor?demand they take it off and fix your mower.if that don't work ask them for there rep's number
or call scag direct.

CathyLynn
10-30-2004, 02:14 AM
Yes--call SCAG direct--they will put a tech rep in touch with you! sounds like your dealer does not care too much about your bsuiness--a sad thing!

jt5019
10-30-2004, 01:33 PM
They left a message today saying it was ready to be picked up,However i wasn't around in time to pick it up by noon.I'm going there Monday morning... from the message they left it sounds like they just slapped another belt on it an thats it.Guess i will find out.

Travis Followell
10-30-2004, 08:19 PM
Sounds like you dealing with a bad dealer. Be sure to keep us posted on what happens.

Green Care
10-30-2004, 10:11 PM
I rebuild one of my pumps when I reinstalled the pump my belt kept jumping off the pulleys was out of lline.

Take a tape measure a measure your pulleys to make sure also I took my belt to a auto store and match it ,cost me 4.00.

mmacsek
10-30-2004, 11:03 PM
A few things to check. Make sure the pulleys on the hydro pumps are tight. I had a problem with one loosening up. It was fixed under warranty. I believe it had about 200 hrs when that happened. Also the tensioning spring was updated. The "hook" part of the spring shouldn't be attached to the coils of the spring. If it is there is a new and improved spring. A scag rep. told me this. I had an idler go on me this past summer. If there is any slop in those pulleys , replace them. The belt was about 15 dollars and takes about 10 minutes to put on. My machine has about 800 hrs. on ot. Hope this helps and good luck. Matt

bwallen149
10-31-2004, 01:08 AM
JT5019, I had a 2003 61" cub. It had the exact same problem, only mine would only last about 30-50 hours. On mine the problem was that one of the pulleys was out of align. I really dont remember which one it was, but it was noticeable just by looking at it. My dealer had to put a washer under the pulley to bring it inline with the other pulleys. By the way, like has been mentioned before, there is no reason a dealer should not stock that belt. Or that it should take a week to do a 15 minute job. If you have to go straight to Scag, that is what I had to do and they eventually bought the thing back. But it had far more problems than just an out of align pulley.

jt5019
11-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Got the mower back today.They said it was the idlers/pulleys. Were off and it was causing the edges of the belt to wear out.They had to put washers under them to make it even.They say the belt is better centered now and it shouldn't happen again. No charge... they smiled and told me to get to work :rolleyes:.

Guess ill find out. BTW this is the only problems Ive had with my tiger cub i love it.

CathyLynn
11-04-2004, 07:49 AM
Always remember that your SCAG rep is totally on your side as an end user! If you are not happy, you will not buy more SCAG, and that will directly affect his pay! Way long before we were a dealer our SCAG rep was one of our best friends and made sure our fleet of SCAGS was always taken care of properly.

I am sure that this would also be true for teh EXMARK rep and the other machines too!

We try to treat all of our clients the same way now, as dealers--your mowing and your bsuiness is very important to us--and a lot of our clients are small set ups and solo operators and do not have a lot of extra equipment to back them up!