PDA

View Full Version : cleaning leaves with my meg mo's

bobbygedd
10-28-2004, 03:35 PM
excellent, that's all i can say. most properties don't require a catcher,cus the meg mo's turn the leaves to dust. those that do require a catcher, disposal is reduced to half a barrel, where it normally was 4 full barrels! these blades are the best thing that ever happened to me(in terms of equipment) . i used to dread leaves, now, i laugh at them

bntt68
10-28-2004, 03:51 PM
I just got mine in the mail today. How are they with grass?I am trying to reduce my clipping size.

John Gamba
10-28-2004, 03:58 PM
I love my Meg-mos too!!!!!!!

John

1MajorTom
10-28-2004, 04:14 PM
How is this billed? As a partial leaf cleanup, or just billed as a cut?

grass_cuttin_fool
10-28-2004, 04:16 PM
Im hearing alot of good things on meg - mo blades im thinking of putting a set in my budget for the 2005 season

affprop
10-28-2004, 04:22 PM
Where is the best place to order meg-mos? also can I put a set on a walker?

chevyman1
10-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Aren't you worried about the mess in the spring time you will have to dethatch? also, leaves that compact like that on a yard will leave you with dead patches.

1MajorTom
10-28-2004, 04:25 PM
Where is the best place to order meg-mos? also can I put a set on a walker?

http://www.meg-mo.com/

bobbygedd
10-28-2004, 04:46 PM
dethatch? dead patches? chevy the clippings don't cause "thatch". and there are no "compact" spots. the leaves are ground up so tiny, they decompose in a fraction of the time they usually would. a good rain and you can't even see them at all. oh, and you, moderator, for your information, it is grasscutting + leaf cleanup. till nov. 1st, then they have a flat price for fall cleanup, and i have the option, do it in several "mini" cleanups, or wait till the end and do it all at once. IT'S UP TO ME. cus i am in charge!

chevyman1
10-28-2004, 04:49 PM
yeah you are in charge all right...only business in America where the customer is always wrong! haha

well actually grinding too many leaves will cause a layer of thatch that will increase the breeding ground for mold. How many years have you used these? what is spring like for you?

GreenMonster
10-28-2004, 04:54 PM
Red Sox World Champs, Bobby & Chevy starting game 2 right now!

Things just keep getting better! :blob3:

bobbygedd
10-28-2004, 04:57 PM
i used doubles the last 2 yrs. my lawns have actually gotten better since i been mulching leaves, and not picking everything up like i used to. lawn quality has been better all around since i started side discharging grass too.there is a very noticable difference in the lawns that get bagged as opposed to discharged. the meg mos mulch much smaller than doubles, so i anticipate an even better spring. btw, the customer isn't ALWAYS wrong, i just make them think they are

grasswhacker
10-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Yup, my megs are doing a nice job on the leaves. When they get too thick I will bag and charge extra for the pick up, but right now it is hardly any extra time at all. Sometimes I will however skip trimming to make up for the few extra minutes since trimming is not really that necessary this time of year.

Meg-Mo
10-28-2004, 05:07 PM
We have used the MEG MO now for 10 yr. and we have the nixes looking yards in the 3 towns that we cut in. The leaves do not have anything to do with thatch. Thatch is poor root systems cause by type of grass seed or soil.

John Gamba
10-28-2004, 06:39 PM
i used doubles the last 2 yrs. my lawns have actually gotten better since i been mulching leaves, and not picking everything up like i used to. lawn quality has been better all around since i started side discharging grass too.there is a very noticable difference in the lawns that get bagged as opposed to discharged. the meg mos mulch much smaller than doubles, so i anticipate an even better spring. btw, the customer isn't ALWAYS wrong, i just make them think they are

I'll second this!! Also if you use the advanced chute blocker (from meg-mo) you will grind them up even more!!
John

Ol'time Lawncare
10-28-2004, 07:48 PM
how strong are these knives? can they be used for commercial use too?

lampeslawnservice
10-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Hey bobby, I heard that you get a discount if you are a lawnsite member when you order your blades was that true for you? Seriously considering these seen them at a trade show in Quad City, IA area. Might be swayed with a discount. 3 sets at $60 kinda makes you think twice

grass_cuttin_fool
10-28-2004, 08:12 PM
Hey bobby, I heard that you get a discount if you are a lawnsite member when you order your blades was that true for you? Seriously considering these seen them at a trade show in Quad City, IA area. Might be swayed with a discount. 3 sets at $60 kinda makes you think twice

The last blades I bought from a dealer was $54.00 for regular blades, and the last grass hawgs i bought online were 3@$9.00 = $27.00. So are the meg- mo's $60 per mower or does it take 3@60 = $180 per mower?

bobbygedd
10-28-2004, 08:16 PM
lamp, i don't know about no discount, don't even remember what i paid. but, i think they are well worth it. if i remember, like $130 to blade up my 36". not sure though. you'll save that in disposal fees the first 3 days anyhow

lampeslawnservice
10-28-2004, 08:25 PM
How hard are they to sharpen do you have to take the blade off the disc or what. That seems like a pain, wonder if you can still use a magna-matic to sharpen them?

J&R
10-28-2004, 08:44 PM
well actually grinding too many leaves will cause a layer of thatch that will increase the breeding ground for mold. How many years have you used these? what is spring like for you? If you let the leaves all fall you will get too much buildup of thatch and cause a mold problem.

grasswhacker
10-28-2004, 09:03 PM
The leaves do not have anything to do with thatch. Thatch is poor root systems cause by type of grass seed or soil.

The primary component of thatch is turfgrass stems and roots. It accumulates as these plant parts buildup faster than they breakdown. Thatch problems are due to a combination of biological, cultural, and environmental factors. Cultural practices can have a big impact on thatch. For example, heavy nitrogen fertilizer applications or overwatering frequently contribute to thatch, because they cause the lawn to grow excessively fast. Avoid overfertilizing and overwatering. Despite popular belief, short clippings dropped on the lawn after mowing are not the cause of thatch buildup. Clippings are very high in water content and breakdown rapidly when returned to lawns after mowing, assuming lawns are mowed on a regular basis (not removing more than one-third of the leaf blade.
And Bluegrass the worst for causing thatch problems.

1MajorTom
10-28-2004, 10:08 PM
oh, and you, moderator, for your information, it is grasscutting + leaf cleanup. till nov. 1st, then they have a flat price for fall cleanup, and i have the option, do it in several "mini" cleanups, or wait till the end and do it all at once. IT'S UP TO ME. cus i am in charge!

Ok millennium member,
how much extra per lawn are you charging when the meg mos are used?
If it's a $30.00 lawn normally, what is the additional amount you are adding on? What is the additional charge based on? How many leaves there are, how many times you have to run them over, etc?

bobbygedd
10-28-2004, 11:04 PM
the additional fee is based on $45 an hour, broken down into 75 cents a minute, charged to the minute, on anything over the normal grasscutting time. example: i'm working alone now, so the lawn normally takes me 30 minutes, they get billed grass fee for the first 30 minutes, then the cleanup fee for each additional minute.

macaw
10-29-2004, 08:24 AM
Been using Meg-Mo all year will not mow with out them.They bust up leaves real good. The grass around here just keeps on growing and the leaves are falling so these blades help keep the yards looking good.

mole
10-29-2004, 09:21 AM
to sharpen them is a breeze I use a hand held grinder two swipes over the knife and they are sharp. It takes me all of 15min for the set. Just did it yesterday. Actually did it at a customers house just took the blades off the skagg rested it on the deck plugged in and sharpened on the spot while the guys used the the z on the property. Love these blades

chevyman1
10-29-2004, 09:40 AM
thanks for the info guys. I mean I have been using my gator magnums and they do a great job too for now, but I thought you meant doing nothing but mulch all year. Now that most of the leaves are down and I am about to do cleanups, we will vacuum everything up on the final run. This was very imformative thanks!

Greenmonster, congrats to your Sox. You should continue to cheer for them instead of trying to start fights

GreenMonster
10-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Greenmonster, congrats to your Sox. You should continue to cheer for them instead of trying to start fights

I ain't "starting" nothin'.

And yes, I will continue to cheer for them. I cheered for all those years they stunk (over 25 for me) I certainly ain't gonna stop now that the finally did it.

chevyman1
10-29-2004, 10:30 AM
Ok man, we just need to keep this professional. Bobby and I weren't feuding, we were discussing a topic so we could learn. Yeah, I was happy for the Sox too. As a Mets fan, they Red Sox are my second favorite team

GreenMonster
10-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Ok man, we just need to keep this professional. Bobby and I weren't feuding, we were discussing a topic so we could learn. Yeah, I was happy for the Sox too. As a Mets fan, they Red Sox are my second favorite team

oh that.

yeah, I still wasn't "starting" it. Just trying to fuel it. :D

Meg-Mo
10-29-2004, 11:47 AM
We are going to try and answer some of your questions, so please bear with us.

Ol'time Lawncare-Due to the free swinging knives, Meg-Mo's don't get the nicks and the damage that most regular blades do. We run a commercial lawn care business and we use them every day. Meg-Mo's will out wear 3 to 4 sets of regular blades and the replacement knives are $3.95 each. Meg-Mo's stays sharper longer so they are very cost effective. Your time is money. Why be in the shop sharpening when you can be out mowing and making money?

grasscutiingfool- The price depends on your blade length. And prices are per spindle.

bntt68-Meg-Mo's cut the grass 4-5 times smaller so no need to bag. Meg-Mo's blows the grass farther and finer than regular blades which means Meg-Mo's leave very little residue on the lawn.

affprop-You can order Meg-Mo's by calling us toll free 877-625-0125 or email us at megli@coiinc.com

lampeslawnservice-You don't take each knife off the disc, you take the whole disc off, fold the knives back and sharpen them on a bench grinder or elevate the deck, fold the knives back and sharpen them with a hand grinder. You only have to touch them up you don't grind the heck out of them.

If you have any questions please call and Roy or I, we will be glad to talk with you.
Thanks, Kalah

John Gamba
10-29-2004, 05:22 PM
We are going to try and answer some of your questions, so please bear with us.

Ol'time Lawncare-Due to the free swinging knives, Meg-Mo's don't get the nicks and the damage that most regular blades do. We run a commercial lawn care business and we use them every day. Meg-Mo's will out wear 3 to 4 sets of regular blades and the replacement knives are $3.95 each. Meg-Mo's stays sharper longer so they are very cost effective. Your time is money. Why be in the shop sharpening when you can be out mowing and making money?

grasscutiingfool- The price depends on your blade length. And prices are per spindle.

bntt68-Meg-Mo's cut the grass 4-5 times smaller so no need to bag. Meg-Mo's blows the grass farther and finer than regular blades which means Meg-Mo's leave very little residue on the lawn.

affprop-You can order Meg-Mo's by calling us toll free 877-625-0125 or email us at megli@coiinc.com

lampeslawnservice-You don't take each knife off the disc, you take the whole disc off, fold the knives back and sharpen them on a bench grinder or elevate the deck, fold the knives back and sharpen them with a hand grinder. You only have to touch them up you don't grind the heck out of them.

If you have any questions please call and Roy or I, we will be glad to talk with you.
Thanks, Kalah

One more thing!! If you use the advanced chute blocker you will keep the leaves out of mulch beds and other areas that you dont want them in. It will even allow the leaves more time under the deck so they will be chopped up more.

Thanks Kalah
John

Scraper
10-29-2004, 08:49 PM
One more thing!! If you use the advanced chute blocker you will keep the leaves out of mulch beds and other areas that you dont want them in. It will even allow the leaves more time under the deck so they will be chopped up more.

Thanks Kalah
John

Are we looking for more freebies? LOL

edward hedrick
10-29-2004, 09:22 PM
I'm using Meg-mos on my Walker. Great for leaves. My friend

Kevin bought a set for his Walker. Glad to see more time was spent cleaning burrs on the disks. I can almost park my Fradan. Ed

Fareway Lawncare
10-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Had to take Meg Mos off the Mowers...Too Much Dust Coming through the Accelerator's.....Just Got Dust Covers for Accelerators so Will Be Putting Meg Mos Back On....Meg-Mo's=Leaf Dust & Great Suction...

Can't use them on the Units w/Mulch Kits Though because they Hit the Side of the Kits !

CathyLynn
10-30-2004, 03:04 AM
The meg-mo can be sized for your SD decks on the WALKER but will not work on the GHS decks.

John Gamba
10-30-2004, 08:00 AM
Are we looking for more freebies? LOL

I wish i would get something for nothing. Like YOU do on all this info on lawnsite.
John

edward hedrick
10-30-2004, 11:14 PM
CathyLyn: I have a 48" Walker Mt20 ghs Meg-mos work great.

They provide a left and right disk. Ed