PDA

View Full Version : Wanting a few more customers

BobbyKnight
10-28-2004, 05:01 PM
I know things like this have been asked before, so sorry to be redundant, but I am wanting to try and pick up just a few more customers. Mowing is not my full-time job; teaching is my full-time job. I have 10 customers at this time. I have a few small neighborhoods I mow in. What would be the best method that I could use to pick up a few more in these neighborhoods or else where? Should I go door to door, hang flyers on mailboxes (is this legal), or what? Due to time restraints, I don't want to go "big time" in the mowing business. But, for the last two years, I have been taking care of 8-10 lawns. I feel, on my own, I would have no problem taking care of 15-20 lawns each week. During the summer it is no problem since I am off for 2 1/2 months, but in the spring and fall it is a little tougher due to my full-time job. Any advice would be appreciated. Side note: I like mowing grass better than teaching!!!! :)

Frontier-Lawn
10-28-2004, 05:17 PM
have your sudents give flyers to there parents....... just kiding

BobbyKnight
10-28-2004, 05:23 PM
Good one! I hadn't thought of that.

boxoffire
10-28-2004, 11:03 PM
Seems to me if you already have got 10 customers, they might be able to help you out if they like your work. Just tell them you are wanting a few more accounts and word of mouth should get you those other ones you want, or at least a couple of them. In NC, I got busted messing with flyers on or even near a freakin mailbox. Good luck with that one. I just started putting small rocks in baggie with flyer/business card and throwing in driveway as I selectively choose from my Jeep riding through neighborhoods. I also put a ad in 4 straight sundays for Leaf and Debris cleanup (that time of year now), and have one of those customers who called ask me back to do more and says he'll definitely keep me in mind next cutting season. I'm heading out tomorrow and put that same Fall Cleanup flyer I've been tossing in driveways and posting it at 10 local supermarkets (if they'll let me) on their bulletin boards. At bottom I've attached a mini-pocket stapled to flyer to hold some little strips of paper with my company name/number on it for people to take. I'm writing on the bottom of flyer where pocket is, "TAKE ONE IT'S FREE!" Maybe I'll get something there too?? Anyway, that's all I got for right now. I am at deadline for adding just a 1 line yellow page ad for next years edition and am leaning toward doing it since it's not too much (like $14 a month). Called another lawn guy closeby who has a 1 line name/number in yellow page and he said it's worked great for him. Sure you get plenty of 1 time cuts there too which some you may not really want. But you can decide if you don't want too I guess. Good luck and if you really needed to pick up many many more accounts cause you were doing this full time to feed yourself, I'm sure you would find what you needed. :)

Oh and good post by icc too. That was an excellent idea. Better than everything I said!

LLCO
10-29-2004, 12:03 AM
Saw an article in L&L Mag that talked about a guy that has had success by offering vacation mows.. when they see the quality and the cost, the sign up for the remainder of the year.

Refer-a-friends also work well.

KINGjosh
10-29-2004, 12:21 AM
[QUOTE=LLCO]Saw an article in L&L Mag that talked about a guy that has had success by offering vacation mows.. when they see the quality and the cost, the sign up for the remainder of the year.

this is very true, i have had some snowbirds letting me cut thier grass seasonal, and all of them have turned to year round clients

CrazyBlonde
01-30-2010, 04:04 PM
:nono: This is what the customers think of those who put rocks in a baggie with a flyer and throw it. Look! NOT Happy!:nono:

http://www.goodexperience.com/tib/archives/2007/02/lawn_care_adver.html

tinman
01-31-2010, 10:16 AM
:nono: This is what the customers think of those who put rocks in a baggie with a flyer and throw it. Look! NOT Happy!:nono:

http://www.goodexperience.com/tib/archives/2007/02/lawn_care_adver.html

Many don't like it. But you only get a tiny % of response from them anyway so you are not going to please everyone anyway. Advertising is generally intrusive. I realize this is an old thread and an often repeated one.

mow2nd
02-01-2010, 08:13 PM
When I was mowing and building my business I would offer one time mowings. Once they seen how good a job I did they would sign up for a regular service. I would just pass out flyer that said I'm going to be in the area this week so if you'd like a one time mowing call me. Once I did the yard I'd tell them about my on going service, worked everytime.

clean_cut
02-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Maybe try some flyers or door hangers, ask you customers if they know of anyone who might be interested in your service and you could talk to them. Try putting a freebie on your flyers, like first mowing is free or 3rd mowing is free, or something like that to get somebody interested.

Hope I could help, God Bless

mow2nd
02-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Man I'd never work for free. You better off offering a one time mowing, at least you'll get paid. And if you do a good job, you'll get the regular business.

DieselLandscaping
02-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Door hangers.
Get some friends, their teenages, wife etc.
Go hit the neighborhoods a few hours a day.

Works well for me.

anything on/in mailboxes is against some laws

openbook
02-04-2010, 01:18 PM
A simple letter to your customers stating you would like to expand your business and would appreciate if they would refer you to their friends could yield a few more customers. I then try to give a little extra work to those customers who are helping you out.