PDA

View Full Version : christmas decor?

tennissippi
10-28-2004, 06:55 PM
Have any of you thought about offering Christmas Decor to your list of off -season (mowing that is) money making projects? The company I work for begins hanging Christmas lights on homes around the first week of October til the 15th of December. It's a huge money maker. We price houses anywhere from $500 ( zero lots and small homes) to $5,000+. That includes installing the lights, taking them down, and storing the lights until next year.

ArchiesLawns
11-02-2004, 08:40 PM
I have a friend that works for a company as well thay does the same thing. They can keep all there employees busy thru the slow season, plus it is a very profitable business. He said the guys with the most senority get to chose what they want to do, spray preemergent or do lighting. Did you get to choose or what kind of system do you have? They also do lanscape lighting as well. Does your company do that too?

Thanks

MacLawnCo
11-02-2004, 09:10 PM
christmas decor is the franchise. my clients pay out the nose for "holiday lighting" (must be PC). i personally dont like it though... so uniform and always the same from year to year.

superiorlawns
11-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Hello...I am just getting into the lighting installation and I was unsure how to do my pricing? Also, do you by the lights and so to say rent them to the clients or do you purchase them and give them to the owner when the season is over? Any other advice you could give me?

tiedeman
11-03-2004, 12:05 AM
I have thought it about, but once I checked into things regarding safety, liability with hanging the lights and electrical work I decided not to do it. Just asking for trouble I feel

Bene Boys
11-03-2004, 12:52 AM
I have been pondering the thought of starting a christmas light business to do durring the off season also. I was wondering what liabilities you have ran into.

tiedeman
11-03-2004, 12:55 AM
I have been pondering the thought of starting a christmas light business to do durring the off season also. I was wondering what liabilities you have ran into.

there were a few that jumped out

possible fire from not properly connecting lights or overloading them, and also whether the electrical connections are up to code. Another thing is possible property damage to roofs.

Bene Boys
11-03-2004, 01:17 AM
I have thought about many ways of putting up lights without causing any harm to the roof. So I think putting the lights on the house shouldnt be to big of a problem. Although you do have the worry of walking on an icy roof.

I have found that you probably shouldnt link more than five strands together. If you do much more than that you could blow the fuse in your lights. One thing I do worry about is how many strands of lights can you run out of one outlet before blowing a home fuse? What are some things you can do to not run into this problem?

sailinstud420
11-11-2004, 12:23 AM
I have a question regarding lights. I started putting some outside of my house today, and when i dug the lights out of the basement about 20 of my usual 70 strings were either all dead or half dead. They all worked last season when I took them off the trees however. I messed around trying to put new fuses in and replacing some of the light bulbs but I couldn't make em work. These things aren't rocket science but they sure piss me off!! Every year I find myself buying more and more new lights. For those that do decorating for a business what do you do with these problems? Buy new every year? Is there such a thing as commericial duty christmas lights? If not, I call the patent, they'd be a huge seller I bet.