PDA

View Full Version : Firewood????

Petr51488
10-28-2004, 07:18 PM
I got a question for you guys.. i wanted to put firewood delivery as a service. Is there a difference in the type of wood you use? I can't really tell what kind of wood it is, but i have a few tree companies here and they will drop off wood at my house. All i have to do is split it with the splitter and deliver it. My question is.. does it matter what wood i use? a special name? or can it be just anything? I use firewood at my house.. and anything that burns goes into the fireplace..

proenterprises
10-28-2004, 07:23 PM
i think their is a difference. i think woods with sap smoke alot, and are not good to burn because they get excess soot in the chimney

LwnmwrMan22
10-28-2004, 07:26 PM
Do a search, there was a topic on this about 5 days ago.

dvmcmrhp52
10-28-2004, 07:32 PM
Type of wood is definitely important.
Softwoods (pine, spruce,hemlock, etc.) can't be sold unless you are out west (Wyoming, Montana, etc.)

Hardwoods vary by location,you need to educate yourself on tree identification and experience the difference in how certain woods split and burn.

Smalltimer1
10-28-2004, 08:04 PM
I got a question for you guys.. i wanted to put firewood delivery as a service. Is there a difference in the type of wood you use? I can't really tell what kind of wood it is, but i have a few tree companies here and they will drop off wood at my house. All i have to do is split it with the splitter and deliver it. My question is.. does it matter what wood i use? a special name? or can it be just anything? I use firewood at my house.. and anything that burns goes into the fireplace..

Oak, Hickory, some Poplar, and some maples. Do not use pine, sweetgum, or any other softwood, they smoke terribly and cause tar and gum buildup in chimneys, which is a fire hazard.

wmsland
10-28-2004, 08:12 PM
Stick with hardwoods. Also if the tree companies are dropping off fresh cut trees, you will have to let it season for a least a year after you split it, so you will need room to store all this wood while it is drying. So what you split this year won't be ready to sell until next year.

Petr51488
10-28-2004, 08:45 PM
WMSLAND: Thats not allways true... i had some wood sit for maybe 3 months and it was fine. It wasn't even split. THey were huge pieces sitting in my back yard for about 3 months and all i did was split them and they were fine for my use.

dcondon
10-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Oak , Ash, and beech are the best three woods to burn :waving:

LwnmwrMan22
10-28-2004, 09:13 PM
WMSLAND: Thats not allways true... i had some wood sit for maybe 3 months and it was fine. It wasn't even split. THey were huge pieces sitting in my back yard for about 3 months and all i did was split them and they were fine for my use.

They were fine for YOUR use.

Trust me, if you try hauling wood to someone that is paying for it, they'll try to light a 5" diameter log with a match and call you because your wood is too wet to burn.

You'll have to split it all, even the stuff that's only 3" in diameter and wait until at LEAST next year to sell it.

I've been doing firewood commercially for a while now and if you have any questions, lets have at it.

out4now
10-28-2004, 09:20 PM
There was a thread on this not all that long ago. When I was younger before the no burn days came about, we used to burn Juniper or oak. One year we tried pine and it was terrrible. Had to have a chimney sweep come out. Stuff smoked pretty bad adn left a lot of tar and pitch behind. Thought we were saving money by not going for more expensive wood, live and learn.

B-MAC
10-28-2004, 09:28 PM
:blob3: Look on www.firewood.com, it has a lot of helpful information on the firewood industry.

Petr51488
10-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Yea, now that i think of it, it makes sence. I also have a house in the poconos. The wood there is great because i cut down dead trees, and i realized that the wood sits there for about a year.. So.. yea i guess no firewood this year... Do any of you guys get alot of demand in North East NJ? Also, theres not really too much room to keep this split firewood for a year..

dvmcmrhp52
10-28-2004, 10:34 PM
If you don't have room to store it you'd better find something else.
You need a good bit of ground to do firewood and make any money at all. The number of hours involved and the equipment makes for a small return on a sore back.

We do 10-12 cords a year for ourselves and Occasionaly sell a few cords to pay for equipment (log splitter,new saw, etc)
but would never consider doing it for income.

Petr51488
10-28-2004, 10:36 PM
Yea, true, but the thing is, that i just bought this new 25 ton logsplitter. It's suppose to be used for our house, but ide figured that i could make some money off of it since we allready have it. I also have a stihl chainsaw that should prob last forever.. so i don't really need to spend any money on equipment. So, basically its me pushing and pulling a lever while my brother puts the wood on the splitter lol.

dvmcmrhp52
10-28-2004, 10:44 PM
If your doing it for yourself anyway and just trying to make a few extra bucks in the process then it's fine. I'm just saying that you won't make any money trying to do it for income.

It takes a real firewood processor to make any worthwhile money at it.

We've been heating with wood for 13 years.

LwnmwrMan22
10-28-2004, 10:56 PM
I'll disagree about the processor part, you can make OKAY money with just a decent splitter. When I say decent splitter, I don't mean the $2000 one at Home Depot / Menards / Northern Tool. I mean a splitter for about $6-9000 from TimberWolf, Iron & Oak, etc. Then get an old hay bale elevator to stick at the end of the splitter to drop the wood up into a pile, so you're not throwing your back out throwing all the pieces of wood.

Anyways, 10 cords of wood can be stacked in a fairly small area.

If you stacked it 6' high, it would only take up an area 15' x 16', with a little space inbetween the rows to let air through.

Hopefully in the next 2 weeks I'll have a 40' x 50' cement slab poured. I'm going to use this to pile my wood on, that way next fall I can use the tractor with the grapple bucket to just scoop wood off the concrete, instead of trying to dig it out of the dirt. I can load a 8' x 16' dump trailer with 2 full cords of wood in 10 minutes then. 2 full cords = 6 face cords, a $700 run.

Again, like was said before, you're not going to make GOOD money, unless you've got 40 acres, a CHEAP supply of wood, and a processor, but you can do OKAY once you've got a customer base lined up, and can stop spending $200 every 2 weeks for advertising.

dvmcmrhp52
10-28-2004, 11:31 PM
It doesn't take all that much to store the split wood itself,I
agree, The groundspace I was more refering to was for splitting, cutting logs, storing logs until cutting, etc. This isn't something you want to do in your front yard..................

Phishook
10-29-2004, 12:49 AM
This isn't something you want to do in your front yard..................

lol lol :dizzy: :dizzy:

depends on your neibors I guess. :realmad:

Tharrell
10-29-2004, 12:59 AM
A little off topic but related, Cutting firewood and all seems to be a big labor intensive job to me. I buy it by the cord and repackage it in bundles for convenience stores. I can get a cord anywhere between 75-100 dollars and get between 125 and 150 bundles at 2.55 each that the stores sell for 3.99. Also, sell the lighter separate if you have any. Going out into the woods with a chainsaw and a truck/trailer, loading it up, splitting it, letting it season etc... Just pay for it and repackage it.

musselman
10-29-2004, 02:37 AM
Im no expert on this but dosent wood type also determine price. I see signs in the stores here and Cedar sells for alot more per cord than Aspen, and pine is somewheres inbetween.

LwnmwrMan22
10-29-2004, 09:49 AM
A little off topic but related, Cutting firewood and all seems to be a big labor intensive job to me. I buy it by the cord and repackage it in bundles for convenience stores. I can get a cord anywhere between 75-100 dollars and get between 125 and 150 bundles at 2.55 each that the stores sell for 3.99. Also, sell the lighter separate if you have any. Going out into the woods with a chainsaw and a truck/trailer, loading it up, splitting it, letting it season etc... Just pay for it and repackage it.

I too buy it by the cord and have it hauled in. I get oak hauled in for $50 / cord, then resell it for $300-350 / cord.

As for bundling it, do you have a machine that does it?? Or just a guy that holds 6-7-8 pieces while someone else runs pallet wrap around it?

Also, if you're looking for kindling, the best things that I've found are at www.fatwood.com , a little spendy, somewhat, but you only have to use 1 piece per fire, just break it in half and light the middle. No need for newspaper, wrapping paper around Christmas time, etc.

GreenMonster
10-29-2004, 10:22 AM
There's no reason you can't sell prepared "green" firewood. Just as long as it's advertised as that, and the customer knows it. It sells for significantly less than dry wood, and a lot of folks by it this way, stack it, and let it season at their own house.

I gotta get going on my own wood. 8 cord. :cry:

Gravely_Man
10-29-2004, 10:52 AM
I sell a lot of firewood due to tree removals that I also do. I love getting paid for the same wood twice. Here is a site that will give you the information on what wood burns the best, how easy it splits and how much heat it gives off. Best of luck to you: http://www.woodstone-corp.com/cooking_fuelwood.htm

Gravely_Man

Petr51488
10-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Thanks for all the posts!!