PDA

View Full Version : What have you hit?

all ferris
10-28-2004, 09:18 PM
I was just curious if I'm the only one who comes across "hidden" objects under the leaves while I'm mowing? So far this year I got a garden hose, numerous toys, dog chain, beer bottles/cans, and the best one was the news paper that made a terrible mess. Come to think of it, I think all these items were at apartment buildings.

sodgod
10-28-2004, 09:41 PM
I can relate for sure. From coat-hangers, golf balls, my glove (long story but luckly my hand wasn't in it) the usual rocks and stumps none of which sound pretty.

33" troy-bilt
48" encore
2 echo SRM-210 straight shaft trimmers
one 5hp honda leaf blower, one 4hp leaf blower
homlite backpack blower (i don't know why it's lasted so long and still runs great)
22" hedge trimmer
3hp edger
earthway commerical spreader
5hp chipper
10" brick saw
trim mower
22" dethatcher
2 parents that say school comes first (yeah like that will ever happen my brain only thinks about one thing, landscaping)

meathead1134
10-28-2004, 09:43 PM
I've hit beer cans, stumps, rocks that bent the blade, I also hit my work glove, a golf ball

SodKing
10-28-2004, 09:48 PM
I get a kick out of snakes thinking they made it only to see them sucked under the mower deck like spaghetti.

lampeslawnservice
10-28-2004, 09:49 PM
I think the worst buried object I ever hit was a 5/8" socket. Came flying out from under my Lawnboy. Missed my face by about 2 feet. That scared the living crap outta me. Of course it to was at an apartment complex. Another time I was there, I came narrowly close to running over a STEAK knife. And complex owners wonder why we charge so much.

cash_money
10-28-2004, 10:20 PM
the worst thing i hit was a big rock,i was glad i had my odce closed cuz it would have shot out at a car.

Mico Landscaping design
10-28-2004, 10:27 PM
had to mention it did'nt you ..... just today, me and a worker were mowing.. he hit a rock that was under a swing set and covered in leaves.. so changed that blade... so i went back there and was mowing in a different spot BAM i hit 2 rocks.. so ya that was wonderful... 3 gator BLADES GONE! i hate leaves for that reason.... but i have hit golf balls, base balls, 1 newspaper boy was that fun LOL.... thats all i can think of off the top of my head/....

out4now
10-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Wasn't in leaves just tall grass. I hit a lrg quick coupler impact sprinkler like the ones on the opening credits to Caddy Shack. Made a lot of noise and destroyed blades. I had checked the area first for bottles and such and didn't see it.

chipk1
10-28-2004, 10:50 PM
Sucked up a darn concrete sprinkler head donut today. Ruined 1 blade!

impactlandscaping
10-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Clearing brush one time and ran over a nest of bunny rabbits with the Outback Billy Goat..never even bogged down. On the mowing side, it's hard to keep track sometimes.My favorite today was a large mushroom, about 6" across, it just exploded everywhere...

BZB_Helpers
10-28-2004, 11:13 PM
i hit a 3ft long 1/4" diameter steel wire hidden in tall grass. dented the blade pretty good, stalled the clutch but motor kept going.

redoak77
10-28-2004, 11:17 PM
I was clearing a weeded patch once at a new construction sight and my blades got tangled up in some of that light mesh rebar they use in driveways. That was a pain to get undone.

ofishil
10-28-2004, 11:20 PM
Well today I hit a piece of rebar that was holding up a little tree. I was looking at it and I still hit it. Im not sure how. I had a lady call once and i showed up and it was overgrown. I told her how much. Walked it. Started mowing and then i got to the back yard and baseballs everywhere. Just when you think you got them all you get another. I did do a field that was full of field mice.

chipk1
10-28-2004, 11:21 PM
Hit a 8" metal property marker be cause some surveyor left it laying in the grass. What a horrendous noise.

SummitLLC
10-29-2004, 12:39 AM
I had just gotten my new z500 and was mowing for the second day. I'm cutting one of my smaller crappier lawns. I hit something and all of sudden the right side of my seat starts pulling down and the mower feels like its stuck on something. I stop and look around, and I sucked up the stupid seat belt. Bent the blade and the metal part of the seat belt. Who needs that anyways!
Josh

jajwrigh
10-29-2004, 12:57 AM
I have hit a brick, several rabbits, the top of a water meter, concrete, a dog chain, and tons of magazines and newspapers.... :dizzy:

HOOLIE
10-29-2004, 01:21 AM
One time I ran over what turned out to be a metal brace for the underside of a skateboard ramp. I was riding a Z, when I hit it, it made that "FOOMP" sound, where you know you caught it just right. Anyway, the brace hit the trim next to this huge window on the house next door. Both the brace and the trim ending up bouncing around on the roof of the house. Just then the lady who lived there came out and said "What the F*** was that?!?!" Then the brace and piece of trim fell off the roof and missed hitting her head by about a foot.

What a morning that was. I recently drove by that house, the damage has never been fixed. Still a brace-shaped chunk of trim missing. Been over 5 years now.

impactlandscaping
10-29-2004, 01:27 AM
I have hit a brick, several rabbits, the top of a water meter, concrete, a dog chain, and tons of magazines and newspapers.... :dizzy:

I wrapped one of those vinyl coated steel cable tie outs around three spindles once, just once..lol what a pain to remove :realmad:

GrassBustersLawn
10-29-2004, 01:29 AM
I got a garden hose today. Not one of your regular hoses, but one of those "collapsible" kind. It was a new client and it was covered in high grass and leaves. It wrapped around the spindle about 10 times before abruptly stopping the motor. After a couple minutes of sputtering swear words, I whipped out the pocket knife & cut that bad boy off. Had to ride out to trailer & run up on side of ramp to see under deck to cut the remaing pieces off. It was wrapped TIGHT!

Hit a 2 ft long branch and shot it on top of customers roof from about 40 feet away.

Ran over a golf ball and hit it like a 9 iron shot. Went up and hit the gable of the house and bounced off at an angle and flew about 150 feet further.

Worker ran over (Backwards) newspaper once WITH GATOR BLADES. It was a windy day and 1000's of little shreds of newspaper were blowing down the street of the subdivision!

Mike