PDA

View Full Version : Why are you kids so Scared of a few leaves?

Fareway Lawncare
10-28-2004, 10:20 PM
You've been cutting an account all year...mabe 20-30 cuts by now...some easy cuts in the Summer...some harder in the Spring. Now you pull up & the leaves have started to drop & there's a few leaves on the lawn...You're Floored...& you start to Sweat!

All of a Sudden World War 3 Starts in Your Head and you bang on the customers door demanding extra money every week...

If I were the customer I'd Tell you to Pound Salt & come back when all the leaves are down for 1 Big Clean-up or cut it weekly @ the price of weekly Cuts....Not my fault...as a customer...you can't deal efficiently w/leaves.

soccerlawn
10-28-2004, 10:46 PM
Hey, I'm 16 and I don't get all nervous about leaves. I don't charge people any extra just to cut them. I only charge extra when it comes time to bag them.

And of cousre when I do their final cleanup that is extra to, and I rarely have any problems with my customers with this method.

Micah

mtdman
10-28-2004, 10:51 PM
You've been cutting an account all year...mabe 20-30 cuts by now...some easy cuts in the Summer...some harder in the Spring. Now you pull up & the leaves have started to drop & there's a few leaves on the lawn...You're Floored...& you start to Sweat!

All of a Sudden World War 3 Starts in Your Head and you bang on the customers door demanding extra money every week...

If I were the customer I'd Tell you to Pound Salt & come back when all the leaves are down for 1 Big Clean-up or cut it weekly @ the price of weekly Cuts....Not my fault...as a customer...you can't deal efficiently w/leaves.

Not that I'm sweating, but what do you do Mr Smarty Pants?

grasswhacker
10-28-2004, 11:01 PM
It is stated in my proposal that in the fall I charge for excessive leaf pick up. I do not gouge them and they know they can trust me to be fair.

impactlandscaping
10-28-2004, 11:05 PM
We grossed an extra $ 400.00 on top of regular mowing today for leaf cleanups before mowing.I'm not sweating, and I'm not your kid... :cool:

mtdman
10-28-2004, 11:07 PM
It is stated in my proposal that in the fall I charge for excessive leaf pick up. I do not gouge them and they know they can trust me to be fair.

Ditto that.

bobbygedd
10-28-2004, 11:10 PM
another one willing to work for free. thank you mr fareway for screwing me and my family. grass is grass, and leaves are leaves, there is no similarity between the two. i wonder if i order french fries at a resturaunt, they will throw a half dozen shrimp on my plate at no extra charge just to "keep me happy". you must be making a ton of money to be willing to give away a free service. i have properties right now, that are so covered in oak leaves and fallen limbs every single week, that it's at least an additional hour over the grasscutting time to get these places in shape. i guess i should just charge the grasscutting fee?

proenterprises
10-28-2004, 11:19 PM
bobby is right, grass is grass and leaves are leaves. you must charge accordingly for each service. a few leaves, yeah sure just grind them up. a blanket of leaves....extra money please?

are you an idiot? how have you managed so stay in business (if you can call it that) if you keep going every week without charging more and just run the leaves over, the place must look like ****, and i bet your spending more time at each place just to deal with the hassle. us others dont sweat leaves, their simply is no reason to, because we charge for them and make money off the extra service.

shepoutside
10-28-2004, 11:25 PM
another one willing to work for free. thank you mr fareway for screwing me and my family. grass is grass, and leaves are leaves, there is no similarity between the two. i wonder if i order french fries at a resturaunt, they will throw a half dozen shrimp on my plate at no extra charge just to "keep me happy". you must be making a ton of money to be willing to give away a free service. i have properties right now, that are so covered in oak leaves and fallen limbs every single week, that it's at least an additional hour over the grasscutting time to get these places in shape. i guess i should just charge the grasscutting fee?

But in another post you said "excellent, that's all i can say. most properties don't require a catcher,cus the meg mo's turn the leaves to dust."

Which is it ? :dizzy:

jpmako
10-28-2004, 11:25 PM
I am not at all scared of leaves either. I would however be scared of doing clean-ups for free. That is why I dont pick them up unless it is a full service client that requests fall clean-up service. So you are cutting these lawns covered in leaves for free? Wow, That's SCARY. Me personally I stop grass cutting around Oct 31st then it is full fledged clean-ups.
And unlike Fairway I charge for this service.

bobbygedd
10-28-2004, 11:27 PM
yup, "excellent" is right, rather than blow, bag, and haul, i double or tripple cut with meg mo's, and i charge accordingly. you people are bizzare

Fareway Lawncare
10-28-2004, 11:31 PM
Here's the Kicker...We charge them Weekly Mow Prices right up until the Big Drop...Mid to Late Nov....Then hit them for addtional charges for final clean-ups when Beds Are Blown...

Truth be Told the Weekly Visits are Unnecessary as the Leaves are Dropping...So the Weekly Charges are Just Gravy.

& Because We don't Freak Out if there's leaves on Weekly Visits the Customers are Happy Like Sheep.

Envy Lawn Service
10-28-2004, 11:31 PM

Yeah, FREEway Lawncare.... the Ultimate Scrub

shepoutside
10-28-2004, 11:38 PM
yup, "excellent" is right, rather than blow, bag, and haul, i double or tripple cut with meg mo's, and i charge accordingly. you people are bizzare

OHhhhhhh , Double or triple cut ! That's why you charge more. Gotcha now, sheesh

boxoffire
10-28-2004, 11:42 PM
I did a mow and leaf cleanup for a new customer today. His back yard was overgrown weeds however and took me 2 hours going slow with 21" push. Then raked up back yard and bagged 8 large leaf bags. Blew off deck and driveway, and blew leaves in front up to the road for suckup. I just charged a flat $30/hour and worked 7 hours on his lawn today. $210. He was happy. Did I screw myself a bit? Was pretty hard work by the way, but most of it was also moving limbs and sticks to front of his property from the backyard. Lot's of walking. That's what took the most time after I "bushhogged" his back yard with a Yardman self propelled 21". It survived, although my muffler cover lost one screw. :blob3:

LwnmwrMan22
10-28-2004, 11:48 PM
$30 / hour isn't enough, for future reference.

Anyways, in my contracts, I include fall clean-up, and it's stated that they are not started until 10-25. If it snows before the yard is cleaned up, then I'll be back again in the spring.

If I get them all before it snows on the first go-round, then fine. If there's no snow, and I've already done my first rounds, I'll go drive around, and anything that looks like it's got a somewhat heavy load of leaves on, I'll do again, so I don't have any work in the spring.

Everyone knows the spring clean up sucks WAY more than the fall.

Before that, most of October, I'm getting paid with my contracts and the grass doesn't even need to be mowed, since you can't see it under the leaves.

PR Fect
10-29-2004, 12:02 AM
[QUOTE=LwnmwrMan22]$30 / hour isn't enough, for future reference.

Why not? He said he only used a 21 inch mower and a rake. If thats all I used I would only charge $27.00 an hour one hour min. When we run the Z Master with the bagger, a 9K machine, we charge $32.00.

impactlandscaping
10-29-2004, 12:54 AM
Hey Freeway, thanks for the neg. ding. at least sign it next time.I'd return the favor , but you're not worth it..

dishboy
10-29-2004, 01:16 AM
Here's the Kicker...We charge them Weekly Mow Prices right up until the Big Drop...Mid to Late Nov....Then hit them for addtional charges for final clean-ups when Beds Are Blown...

Truth be Told the Weekly Visits are Unnecessary as the Leaves are Dropping...So the Weekly Charges are Just Gravy.

& Because We don't Freak Out if there's leaves on Weekly Visits the Customers are Happy Like Sheep.

This year I mulched up til this week and them darn kits were costing me money , I could not charge any more because I was getting through the lawns just as fast......and with no hauling fees.

That is all done with now as the BIG dump has began with the silver maples leading the way. Now everything is on the clock.

I had to laugh at the leaf dump today as I watch big outfits with two guys in 1/2 ton trucks filled to the top of the side, a measly little pile of grass/leaves for 1/2 day of work?????? that's all you guys did this morning.............

Runner
10-29-2004, 02:48 AM
[QUOTE=Fareway Lawncare]Here's the Kicker...We charge them Weekly Mow Prices right up until the Big Drop...Mid to Late Nov....Then hit them for addtional charges for final clean-ups when Beds Are Blown...

QUOTE]

This is pretty much how I do it. I will roughly blow out the beds just to keep the stuff from getting heavy in there, and to keep them from matting in the event that we get a bunch of rain. I blow the drive and walks off, as well if they are real heavy, and it would make a signicant difference to chop them up. If they are light on the drive, I don't bother, because they can just be blown off after the cut anyway. I figure these costs right into the final cleanup price when everything is done clean. All I am doing is saving myself some work, because each time I go in and chop these, I am reducing my final outgoing load. This is not to mention keeping them shuffled to the top from matting.

mtdman
10-29-2004, 09:21 AM

Why not? He said he only used a 21 inch mower and a rake. If thats all I used I would only charge $27.00 an hour one hour min. When we run the Z Master with the bagger, a 9K machine, we charge $32.00.

Then you are working too cheap.

Mark McC
10-29-2004, 10:42 AM
I'm scared of leaves 'cause my father once beat the he** out of me with a few oak leaves. Ever since then, I awake in a cold sweat about three nights out of four every autumn.

Are we now working it vigorously enough? Puhleeeeeeeeeeze.

Gravely_Man
10-29-2004, 10:51 AM
The leavesí falling is not something to be scared of. It is something to be excited about. More money for a fairly easy job as long as you have the right equipment. Per the title of the thread I thought there would be some great story about a clients child being scared of the leaves on the lawn.

Gravely_Man

lawncarepros2004
10-29-2004, 11:51 AM
What if i am involved with a mow contract that doesn't mention leaves or pine needles in the fall. Next year my contracts will be amended. I am supposed to mow till 10/31 for all clients. Do i swallow the pride and work addionally or give them a surprise $45/hr cleanup fee on top of weekly mow charge or tell them you'll clean em up after there all down after mow season. couple of my clients relize they don't need a mow but are really enjoying the leaves being removed. Seems to be adding on about 1/2 hr per 4,000sqft.

Smalltimer1
10-29-2004, 12:04 PM
I use a Agri-Fab Leaf Sweeper which takes care of leaves pretty quickly and effectively. And since its over 10 years old, its paid for, and I don't have to sweat trying to charge to pay for it. Then after I finish I take them to the farm or to the back yard at home and have a nice little bonfire in December.

LCME
10-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Agree here with charging extra for leaves. I called all my customers to let them know leaves are falling. And, an additional weekly leaf charge will apply then a final leaf removal charge once all have fallen. Half of my customers said, stop the service and wait for all to fall. And, the others said, please continue with weekly leaf removal. These customers did not ask how much they just said, I'm in. Extra work = extra money. It's a no brainer.

BigEd
10-29-2004, 01:35 PM

Why would you charge a lower hourly price for your service because of the equipment you used??In your way of thinking you wouldd let your 9k dollar machine sit idle($32 hour) to make 27 dollars an hour with a push and a rake which is more labor intense.

Mark McC
10-29-2004, 01:43 PM
What if i am involved with a mow contract that doesn't mention leaves or pine needles in the fall. Next year my contracts will be amended. I am supposed to mow till 10/31 for all clients. Do i swallow the pride and work addionally or give them a surprise $45/hr cleanup fee on top of weekly mow charge or tell them you'll clean em up after there all down after mow season. couple of my clients relize they don't need a mow but are really enjoying the leaves being removed. Seems to be adding on about 1/2 hr per 4,000sqft.

If your contracts do not mention leaf removal, you're not obligated to do anything about the leaves. Besides, if the contract term ends October 31, your obligation is kaput as of sundown Sunday. I've mowed my jobs without leaf removal because the last two invoices have said something about leaf removal and to call me for an estimate. I think they understood that I wasn't going to pick up leavs when I mowed this past week.

My contracts also say that the service includes mowing, edging, trimming and blowing, and that catching anything at all is not included unless the contract is worded to cover it.

If you like your hourly rate for mowing, just add the appropriate charge for the additional time. Tell 'em about it first, though. If they object, tell them to find their rake.

proenterprises
10-29-2004, 07:35 PM
I use a Agri-Fab Leaf Sweeper which takes care of leaves pretty quickly and effectively. And since its over 10 years old, its paid for, and I don't have to sweat trying to charge to pay for it. Then after I finish I take them to the farm or to the back yard at home and have a nice little bonfire in December.

smalltimer, how does that leaf sweeper work, what do you pull it with, the only dilema i could se with it is that it would fill up pretty quick?

Scraper
10-29-2004, 08:23 PM
Fareway isn't even in the business....he is just a webmaster.

1MajorTom
10-29-2004, 08:29 PM
Come on Glen,
Is that comment really necessary?

rrhonda
11-15-2004, 11:05 PM
I'm scared to death of leaves! I see them and freak . I knock on peoples door and go...." Oh my God there are leaves in your yard " what the hell is this . I'm not cleaning these are you crazy? Then I light a match , throw it and run like hell!

EastProLawn
11-15-2004, 11:08 PM
We grossed an extra $ 400.00 on top of regular mowing today for leaf cleanups before mowing.I'm not sweating, and I'm not your kid... :cool:
I second that :cool2:

rrhonda
11-15-2004, 11:11 PM
No, seriously . I spend at least twice the time just mulching them in to the grass. And you don't think I should charge more for that? Are you saying that if a lawn normally takes half and hour , that now takes me at LEAST 1 hour and uses twice the gas for mowers and blowers should be done for the same price. Because if that's what your saying than I want to hire you to do my lawn.

bobbygedd
11-15-2004, 11:14 PM
hello rhonda, welcome my dear. if there is any way i can help you, please, don't hesitate to ask

EastProLawn
11-15-2004, 11:21 PM
[QUOTE=rrhonda that now takes me at LEAST 1 hour and uses twice the gas for mowers and blowers should be done for the same price. Because if that's what your saying than I want to hire you to do my lawn.[/QUOTE]
LOL, now that's funny stuff :p

impactlandscaping
11-15-2004, 11:39 PM
Easy Bob, I think it might be rr-honda? Dude alert!! Hey welcome to LS anyways!!

rrhonda
11-16-2004, 12:04 AM
It's all good . I'm a chick.

PR Fect
11-16-2004, 02:56 PM
Why would you charge a lower hourly price for your service because of the equipment you used??In your way of thinking you wouldd let your 9k dollar machine sit idle($32 hour) to make 27 dollars an hour with a push and a rake which is more labor intense.
Yes I would, and do all the time. So in your way of thinking, my $32.00 an hour mower should sit, because I should be running my $60.00 an hour back hoe?

rodfather
11-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Fareway, you are an a** and always have been. You do nothing but stir up trouble here and provide erroneous and misleading information to many of these young people who look to gain useful information to better themselves.

The ONLY contribution you have made under all of your many screen names is your thread (fell out of my chair laughing hysterically) about getting your WB stuck in someone's backyard cause you were too stupid to think a WB might not go UP the stairs as well as down.

You give new meaning to the term, "a couple fries short of a Happy Meal"

locutus
11-16-2004, 06:38 PM
With regards to clean-up pricing, I look at it like this. It's not how long it takes me to remove the leaves from the property, but rather, how long would it take them. I get $60.00 an hour solo for leave clean-ups. What would take a man and wife all day, takes me 1 1/2 hours. They see it as a bargain when presented in these terms.

K c m
11-16-2004, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=Fareway Lawncare]Here's the Kicker...We charge them Weekly Mow Prices right up until the Big Drop...Mid to Late Nov....Then hit them for addtional charges for final clean-ups when Beds Are Blown...

QUOTE]

This is pretty much how I do it. I will roughly blow out the beds just to keep the stuff from getting heavy in there, and to keep them from matting in the event that we get a bunch of rain. I blow the drive and walks off, as well if they are real heavy, and it would make a signicant difference to chop them up. If they are light on the drive, I don't bother, because they can just be blown off after the cut anyway. I figure these costs right into the final cleanup price when everything is done clean. All I am doing is saving myself some work, because each time I go in and chop these, I am reducing my final outgoing load. This is not to mention keeping them shuffled to the top from matting.

I understand what you are saying? Surely when you chop them up they can still be seen. Im guessing you don't have enough time on your run to make 3 passes on them?
My rule of thumb is that if its going to look bad when i get done mowing i might as well skip it and write them a nice email saying. I apologize for skipping the lawn but we will take care of the lawn and leaves this weekend. or something along those lines. There is nothing i hate more then seeing a lawn with leaves on it. Everyone is happy their lawn will look nice again and im happy cause their happy.

cantoo
11-16-2004, 10:24 PM
rrhonda, we're a pretty doubting group. We'll need pictures on the chick thing. Different angles would help so we can make sure you aren't photoshopping.
We also have another test we use here.
Just guessing how long are these two lines?

FYI, the first one is 10" and the second one is 12"

Jamesgateslandscaping
11-16-2004, 11:49 PM
I offer mowing for 3 weeks and a final cleanup for a flat rate. Regular mowing stops second week of Oct. Customers have the option to continue at the same rate(leaves are not down as much as november). This year we have had some good wind storms taking away 80% of the leaves on the lawn, saving me time. Calculated cost for clean ups are $100/hour which includes 5-6 men,rakes and tarp, 2 Redmax 7001 BP blowers, JD 445 tractor/48" w/ bagger, 48" WB cub cadet. Im a senior in high school and have 21 cleanups total, 10 done, 9 left, getting calls daily. Wish me luck :help:
James
PS, had to take a 3 day break because of a quick snow (about 2 inches), the stuff wouldnt melt...worse part was that it was to much to do leaves, not enough to plow :cry:

NolansLawnLandscape
11-17-2004, 02:56 AM
This is how I have done it for the past few years and seems to work out nicely. When I come to do a clean up I charge for the lawn (lets say $30) - then $10... covers some blowing and raking, then I charge $3 per bag (45-55gal).

So if they had 7 bags of leaves on their parkway when we were done... it would look like this - 30+10+21= $61.

Now, on a different note... if the customer is on contract, which I wish all were, and we have serviced them last winter... we add that amount into the contract. If they are a first year contract I leave myself the option of adding on that 10+3/bag.

One more thing... I've seen alot of guys saying that x amount is not enough per hour or whatever... every part of the U.S. is different - you guys gotta remember that. I've seen one guy on here talking about $40/lawn in S. Carolina... I WISH! :blob3: