PDA

View Full Version : Customer didn't pay sales tax in Ohio....

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-28-2004, 10:46 PM
I searched on this but didn't fine anything....

I have a customer that didn't pay the sales tax on her last invoice.......

I am not worried about losing her as a customer, she is gone anyway......But I want to point out to her that she is breaking the law by not paying the tax...

Is there somewhere to report her in Ohio.....

Thanks

Derek

LLCO
10-28-2004, 11:21 PM
I am not sure that she is the culprit if she is paying the invoice that was given to her. The problem is the other company that is not charging it. That is the violation of law which Ohio takes sales tax very seriously.. penalties are very substantial.

http://www.state.oh.us/tax/

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-29-2004, 07:57 AM
if you are implying that I am not collecting sales tax you are wrong. It was listed on the invoice. I think she forgot about it because she was pi$$ed about the $1.50 fuel surcharge for one week last month. But now she said to just consider her paid up without paying the tax......

This really isn't about the money it is principal now.

Derek

LLCO
10-29-2004, 10:06 PM
My bad... i thought that you were talking about an invoice from another LCO.

Dman1214
10-29-2004, 10:39 PM
My daddy always said - "worry about the big stuff"

LwnmwrMan22
10-30-2004, 01:06 AM
I'd just hand write it on the next invoice "3.40 for sales tax not paid on October 2nd invoice" or something like that, circle it, and add it into the total for the next invoice.

Had to do it many times over the years. It's always been paid, sometimes even with a phone call saying sorry, over looked that part.

The way my invoices are, computer generated, the line item lists out, with a total, and then at the bottom of the page it lists sales tax, then invoice total. Many times people don't take the time to look at the bottom of the page, they just see a total for the line item, ie "monthly maintenance payment for October.......... 234.74." Then don't look at the bottom to see the sales tax for $15.26, and just send me a check for 234.74.

lqmustang
10-30-2004, 12:28 PM
My daddy always said - "worry about the big stuff"

Just as an example, but in my area tax on a $30 lawn is $1.95. If you have 50 lawns averaging $30 each, that would be $97.50 per week you have to eat if your customers are not paying tax. To go a bit further, with a 32 week cutting season that would come to $3120.00. Your daddy was right, I would worry about the big stuff. Doesn't take long to add up. :waving:

Dman1214
10-30-2004, 12:47 PM
Don't take it too literal, all I'm saying if u get F'd out of tax every once in a while, keep it in perspective - it's not a big deal. Keep your energies focused on the things that are going to make you the most $$. Let me put it this way, how is your time better spent? Tied up trying to collect a few $'s, or going out and selling, or coming up with a better way of doing things (systems), i could go on and on. As a told a wise gentleman yesterday (I'm being Kind here), any business, ours especially, is about 2 things and 2 things only - Getting customers and keeping customers - everything u do sould be directed to that goal. And I said I would not pontificate. Sorry

DiscoveryLawn
10-30-2004, 01:27 PM
I have this problem from time to time. I send them an invoice with sales tax balance from previous invoice. If they are no longer a reg. customer I really do not pursue them. If they are on going client I add it to next invoice. If they simply refuse to pay sales tax I guess I would tell them I will have to raise the price to cover the tax that I will have to pay for the sale or drop them?

David

Green Dreams
10-30-2004, 02:39 PM
The point I am taking from all of this is that you let a cussamah walk for $1.50. It costs me more than that to attract one. I Know I am sick of being nickled and dimed. Lesco sure has peezed me off with their tacky charges.

Prices go up. I'd have just said that "I had to go up x% to keep up and you are appreciated."

Lux Lawn
10-30-2004, 07:19 PM
It happens people look at the sub total and not the total on the bottom of the invoice.What I do is just add it to the next invoice if the check there records they will see they did not pay it.

HOOLIE
10-31-2004, 02:10 AM
We don't have to charge sales tax in Virginia, fortunately. I guess I'd probably just eat it this one time since she cancelled. I would definitely note it on your contracts that "as per Ohio state law, we are required to charge state sales tax".

horselady
10-31-2004, 04:09 PM
I have written on the customers next Statement that the sales tax was not paid and we are required by lawn to charge it. I received a check within a week.

MacLawnCo
11-02-2004, 08:15 PM
D,

just call her and explain that she doesnt owe you, but rather the state of ohio. Explain that you are just their agent and that should you not collect what is owed, the dept of taxation will be knocking. If she doesnt pay up, call the department of taxation and find out who takes care of a holes like her.

DiscoveryLawn
11-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Good advice from Maclawn.

David

JustMowIt
11-03-2004, 11:15 AM
When customers sit down each month to pay bills, they dream up all kinds of notes to write you about complaints, tax, canceling, deciding if it is a good value, or placing your bill in the family "bill paying" lottery & not including you in this round of bills to mail.

We put a stop to all that when we went to charging their card the next day for each mow & quit sending anything in the mail to remind them of all those things. Now, they look at their credit card statement once a month & don't have the option to pay or not to pay tax.

I know it is a concept that is not normal for Lawn Guys, but it is very normal in other areas of business & most everyone has a debit card these days. I would urge all to consider doing this to simplify your life. There are many pros & only 2 minor cons.
MJ