PDA

View Full Version : TRIVIA?

Ssouth
05-25-2000, 06:26 PM
Have a customer complaining that the clippings that are blown from my deck are sprouting in her flower beds. I have a 48&quot; Lazer Z w/ mulching kit. ( six blades) She wants me to either Round-up or bag w/ a 21&quot; around her beds and fish pond. Every week it's something new but I've gotten several referalls from her so I don't want to drop the account. So will Bermuda grow from mulched clippings or does she just want something extra.<br>Thanks in advance for your help<p>Ssouth

Dennis
05-25-2000, 06:45 PM
As far as I know,NO HYB. bermuda will grow from seed,they are all sterile.<br>Common Bermuda WILL grow from seed,the only way I can tell the diff is the common blades are bigger and stiffer, hyb. is very fine bladed.<br>even Common will not grow from seed if seed head is not present. Is it?<br>Prob. what is happening is the grass is growing under the edging, thats why bermuda is considered a weed in most areas,very aggresive.<br>hope this helps.<br>also good luck getting out of beds,Roundup doesn't work consistently.

HOMER
05-25-2000, 06:52 PM
Don't feel like the lone stranger, I have a customer that seems to think the same thing and I did my homework to find out if it would grow from clippings, it won't. All it does is rot down and become food for the plants. I agree that it didn't look too good when the nice green grass hit the cypress mulch but sometimes you can't help it.<p>We got past it and try harder to keep it out.<p>Homer

Ssouth
05-25-2000, 09:31 PM
thanks for the help. These beds have a natural edge that I trim weekly, so I know it's not going under the edging. I think what's happening is it's just creeping under the ground just like it does at some of my other accounts only they pay for me to pull it out. I think this lady just wants something for free. Anyone else feel free to reply.<br>Ssouth

EarthWorks
05-25-2000, 09:42 PM
Round-up will kill bermuda if you spray it twice at week intervals. Here 75% of lawns are bermuda and it is definatley not considered a weed. The only way you could spread bermuda with a lawn mower is if you shot a whole sprig of grass into the bed which is not likely. I think your customer is just finding something to complain about. Are the beds new? If so existing bermuda amy not have been eradicated well enough. See it all the time

Evan528
05-25-2000, 10:51 PM
what about the possibility that the customer is well informed about the spreading of bermuda.... her assumtion is reasonable if no one has told her otherwise.

geogunn
05-25-2000, 11:17 PM
I'd probably just spray it to keep the woman quiet if I wanted to keep the account.<p>GEO

PLS
05-26-2000, 05:49 PM
We use a edger on the beds and spray Roundup every other week on any bermuda we see popping out in the beds. I much prefer the steel bladed edger over a string trimmer for bermuda because it cuts many of the rhizomes and all stolens. I have noticed a better kill when using the edger because the Roundup is not being transported back to the main turf area by way of the rhizomes and in effect is diluted<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: PLS