PDA

View Full Version : Is this Grapple Bucket worth it?

thepawnshop
10-29-2004, 07:45 AM
I found this grapple bucket online, and it is about 1k more expensive than any of the others I have found and I was wondering if any of you pros out there can tell me after looking at it if it is worth the extra $$$$$$.

"The ANB Grapple" (http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/pages/7/index.htm)

http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/images/550_ANB_4.JPG

http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/images/273_ANB2.jpg

Also, if this isn't posted in the right place, please tell me which forum to post questions regarding attachments.

Thanks!

Tigerotor77W
10-29-2004, 10:15 AM
It'll take a pretty good bite out of your loader's ROC. It looks extremely strong, however, and if you plan to do work that involves abrasive materials (demolition, scrap handling, forestry work) then it's likely a good bet. However, if you are planning on using it just to clean up home sites, it might be excessive and even useless because there is no solid floor.

thepawnshop
10-29-2004, 11:25 AM
With the weight kit (which I am getting), the ROC of the JD 320 is 2450#. My main use would be for moving rocks, busted up curbs, uprooting brush, etc.

I have considered the one with the bucket below, but this monster looks like it could do some damage!

Tigerotor77W
10-29-2004, 12:14 PM
Okay. As long as you don't try to move rocks that are too small you'll be okay. I would think of this tool more as an uprooter or a fork than a bucket. I'm not sure if rental yards would have it -- but I do suggest trying it out. You'll get pretty far with curbs and rocks (and definitely brush), but I'm not sure how much you'll want to switch to a regular bucket to get all the small stuff.

UNISCAPER
10-29-2004, 09:30 PM
What is it you will be grabbing? We have one we use out in the burn zones and for demolition and it is a time saver for sure. I picked up an torched chevy 4x4 frame, after the body and engine had melted to the ground duiring the blaze. Grabbed the whole thing ans tossed it in a recycle bin no problems.

EngDave
10-30-2004, 09:17 AM
Hmmmm.....as with every thing there are pros and cons.
Pro - I've done business with skidsteersolutions and found them to be honest and accurate about the workmanship and capabilities of their equipment. I'm a satisfied customer. This is a root rake style grapple with a huge opening.
Con - Is this the correct design for your use, no bottom horizontal tine. This thing doesn't look cheap!
I guess if you were picking up really big objects this style grapple would be helpful. However, based on your intended use, I think an "L" shaped grapple with a horizontal bottom tine might be more suitable. The bottom tine helps the hydraulics hold the load in the grapple particularly if you have odd shaped material.
I use my grapple every week and found that the bottom tine is mandatory for my use. I use it to clear sites of loose debris, stumps, logs, brush, construction material, etc. Many times I've stacked 2x material on the bottom tine and lightly secured it with the grapple to transport over rough terrain. I haven't found it suitable for raking or digging probably because my soil is too hard and/or my SSL doesn't have enough push.
I found my grapple at an equipment auction for $800 w/o hoses and couplers. All in about $1000. It's weight does take a big bite out of the operating capacity but it definitely does the job. Definitely one of my most used attachments.
Dave

thepawnshop
10-30-2004, 03:25 PM
Dave, is there any way you could post either a photo of your grapple, or of one similar? John Deere has one similar to this one, but it has two "two-tooth" hydraulic prongs on top. Here is a photo:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere_const/skidsteers/skidsteer_attachments/media/images/grapple_skidsteers_t.jpg

Or is it more useful if it had the bucket in the bottom like so:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere_const/skidsteers/skidsteer_attachments/media/images/scrapgrapple_skidsteers_t.jpg

Thanks!

EngDave
10-30-2004, 08:05 PM
Doug - I'm having trouble attaching photos of my grapple to this post. I'm doing something wrong, just don't know what! Let me know and I'll try and re-send. I can e-mail them to you if you send me your e-mail address if that's more convenient. Anyhow, my grapple looks like the top photo in your post. As far as the bucket style grapple is concerned, it's not for me. My guess is it would be used on concrete slabs or other improved surfaces where the likelyhood of picking up unwanted material is unlikely, say a recycling center for instance. When I tried picking up debris in my GP bucket I always ended up with more dirt than I wanted or I chased stuff around a lot. With the grapple, I just pick stuff up and shake off the dirt.
Here are a couple of websites with similar designed grapples, www.loflinfabrication.com and www.solesbeesequipment.com. I probably would have bought one from Solesbee's had I not found mine at auction.
Dave

thepawnshop
10-31-2004, 01:29 AM
Dave,

My email address is:

thepawnshop@hotmail.com

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

ksss
10-31-2004, 01:46 AM
I have two grapple buckets one for the larger 95xt and second for the smaller 70xt. These grapples are similar to the smaller pictures shown above. The buckets have two separate grapples that operate independent of each other. That makes them perfect for loading concrete. They are invaluable for me. The picture shown is actually used for grubbing and perhaps specialized demolition. The more typical closed bottom with independant grapples will be useful for your described intent. You can see a photo of our grapple while doing an interior demolition of a school. The grapple is on an 1840 on the second floor dumping out a window. The website is kaiserskidsteer.com

thepawnshop
10-31-2004, 01:47 AM
FYI...the ANB Grapple from SkidSteerSolutions.com starts @ $2,995 & up...not cheap. I definately would like to save a few bucks, but like I said, this thing looks like a monster (and I mean that in a good way!)

EngDave
10-31-2004, 07:30 AM
Doug - I just sent the pictures via e-mail. Feel free to post if you want. No matter what style you choose, I think you'll find this is an invaluable attachment. For clarity, I would have chosen Sosebee's over Loflin only because they manufacture in Georgia and closer to me. I think both products are similar from design, function, and durability standpoints. I think Loflin is in North Carolina, not sure though.
Dave

EngDave
10-31-2004, 08:09 AM
Doug - I forgot to add that the prices I received for new grapples were in the $3,000 - $3,500 range. Your price is typical from my experience. That's why I bought the one at auction. Then I bought the stiff arm hoe from skidsteersolutions. For the price of a new grapple, I got both attachments. I dig with the hoe and pick up with the grapple, terrific combination and doen't beat up my SSL.

KSSS - Excellent website! I'd like to talk with you about how you built your business. Topic for another thread?

Dave