PDA

View Full Version : it's july 15th

bobbygedd
10-29-2004, 08:13 AM
your customer had asked for a price on trimming. you gave him one. he declined. he has his nephew trim everything. you arrive on july 15th to cut the lawn, there are piles of bush clippings, and tied up branches bundled in spots throughout the lawn. do you 1) pick them up, throw them in the truck, proceed to mow. 2) mow around them, do the extra wacking around them. 3) move the piles off the lawn, then mow. 4) bang on front door with wacker, while it's running, tell him to clean this crap off the lawn so you can mow, and proceed to weedwack. 5) pull up, see obtacles in lawn, drive off, bill them for the visit, return next week

lawnworker
10-29-2004, 08:28 AM
Bobby, I would do 2 without the weed Trimming option.

mtdman
10-29-2004, 08:29 AM
Depends on how many piles there are. If it's just a few, I'd make one big pile and mow around it, no wacking. If there are a ton of piles, leave them and mow around them, no wacking.

lqmustang
10-29-2004, 08:33 AM
Depending on the customer, might offer to get rid of the piles if I had the time, for a fee of course. Otherwise, mow around them.

Wouldn't this also be subject to the $5 'extra obstacles' surcharge? :p

bobbygedd
10-29-2004, 08:42 AM
yes mustang, and a $5 aggrivation surcharge

Mark McC
10-29-2004, 08:52 AM
You waited how long to post on the subject of this July 15 event?

Mickhippy
10-29-2004, 08:54 AM
If there were say 1 or 2 of the tied up piles, close together, I would move them off the lawn. Mow around the other non tied piles. No extra trimming!

It sh!ts me up the wall when they get out in the garden, do some pruning and leave there cr@p on the lawn! I might kick it back on the garden while trimming if its not going to be to much of a strain!

1MajorTom
10-29-2004, 09:07 AM
You waited how long to post on the subject of this July 15 event?

With Mr. Gedd there's always a motive, you just have to look into it a little bit.
His comparison example is a poor one..... as usual. ;)

Mark McC
10-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Okay, Bobby, for the record, my answer is that I mow around stuff like that. Never have heard anything about it from the customer. On the other hand, I suspect you wouldn't pick the debris up, either, which leads one to believe that this thread is another form of entertainment for you.

Having fun yet?

green with envy
10-29-2004, 09:42 AM
If it was really bad I would do # 5 with a phone call to reschedule.

Mike

Gravely_Man
10-29-2004, 09:46 AM
Depending on the number of piles I would pick them up and move them just as I would if there were a few toys in the yard and this was not an ongoing issue. A few moments time is fine but if it takes more then that then the customer needs to step up or pay.

Gravely_Man

desert rose gardening
10-29-2004, 09:49 AM
I would mow around the stuff and no wacking, I don't wack anyway, I have a girl friend, I call it weed eating or line trimmer, that just sounds better to me than wacking.

sildoc
10-29-2004, 10:46 AM
#1......

I have written into my contracts that if there are any obsticles in turf they will be removed if debris or set aside if other than. I have the right to bill for time and fees. Works well when I have JOE I dont want leaves done but there are a ton of sticks in my yard. I pick up haul and bill in 1/4 increments of time. I also use my digital camera to capture the work done. I have never had anyone not pay when they have a printed picture of there mess sent with their bill.

Up North
10-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Bobby, how many Coors Lights have you had this morning?

Let's put different spin on this:

A little old lady calls you to come out and do her lawn, there are piles of full icy cold Coors Light cans throughout the lawn, dripping with condensation due them being freezing cold, and it's a hot humid day. What would Bobby do:

A. Knock on the door with his WB or shovel, and tell the poor little old lady to get out there with her walker and pick up those cold beers.

B. Mow around them

C. Skip this lawn for 3 weeks

D. Move all the icy cold silver bullets into one pile under a shade tree and start consuming them double fisted while his big sweaty helper mows the lawn.

Buck