PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw Bar Oil

Hawkeye5
10-29-2004, 01:05 PM
How many recycle used engine oil (as I do) for use as bar oil and how many buy bar oil? I've used recycled oil for years with no adverse effects and just wondered how many others do the same.

chief5139
10-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi I just thought i would reply to your question i work in a lawn mower shop and most manufactures say use bar oil and if you just HAVE to use something else use 90w gear oil. because what happens is the motor oil is not sticky enough to sticmk to the chain to do any good there are some exceptions though

impactlandscaping
10-29-2004, 03:14 PM
I prefer Stihl oil, but have used 85-90W in a pinch before.I have used Oregon oil in the past, but prefer the Stihl.It's a little more $$, but seems like it goes further..

Chief, I like your sig. line, BTW. :waving:

Grassmechanic
10-29-2004, 04:01 PM
Bar oil only. Used engine oil has contaminants that are harmful to an engine. Those same contaminants will wear out your chains and bar prematurely.

Gravely_Man
10-29-2004, 04:11 PM
There is no way in the world I would use old motor oil for chain and bar lube. If you want to prematurely wear out your bar and chain by using old stuff go for it. Letís think about what old oil has in itÖ.acid and metal flakes. Does that sound like something you want use on a very expensive saw. In case you didnít get my drift I would not recommend this unless you were in a true emergency. If you don't want to take my word for it jump over to http://www.arboristsite.com/

Gravely_Man

out4now
10-29-2004, 04:33 PM
I've used Sthil bar oil, Super Tech bar oil from Walmart, Husquvarna reg. bar oil and their Bio iol as well. The super tech works fine but the best was Huskys reg. bar oil. Like already said ther is not enough lubrication from motor oil and it is full of containiants so I wouldn't use it.

chief5139
11-01-2004, 01:01 PM
I prefer Stihl oil, but have used 85-90W in a pinch before.I have used Oregon oil in the past, but prefer the Stihl.It's a little more $$, but seems like it goes further..

Chief, I like your sig. line, BTW. :waving:

thank you as you can tell i'm a snapper fan.

GreenMonster
11-01-2004, 01:16 PM
How many recycle used engine oil (as I do) for use as bar oil and how many buy bar oil? I've used recycled oil for years with no adverse effects and just wondered how many others do the same.

:o

yeah, I use recycled motor oil. My father-in-law, who is a lifetime logger set me in that direction. He claims to see no difference in wear or life of bars or chains.

He DOES run bar oil on his processor saw, which is a big ass saw with a big ass bar.