PDA

View Full Version : Y not just cut the grass and the leaves?

stxkyboy
10-29-2004, 04:06 PM
If they dont want to pay for leave clean up then just cut the grass what is the big deal here.

Wolfie's L&L
10-29-2004, 04:10 PM
Yea but if you are ONLY going to cut the grass, you have to first somehow remove the leaves. That takes extra energy, you have to find somewhere to dispose of the raked leaves, and that all will cost extra.

Jason

fga
10-29-2004, 04:11 PM
If they dont want to pay for leave clean up then just cut the grass what is the big deal here.
for me, we bag everything. having to empty every 10' would kill me..
and when your done, and you dong the final blow of the curbs, drives or streets... how do you not charge for the extra time with all the leaves in the way....... can't work around them unless they are so insignificant that the mowing process is not hindered in the slightest way. period.

Bray
10-29-2004, 04:42 PM
It depends on the way they want the job done. The customer is always right you know. I'll do whatever if they want them picked up or if they want them mulched up I do whatever it takes. I charge a bit more than other LCO's anyway to adjust for all this. I usually blow all the leaves out of the corners before I pull the mower of the trailer. I proceed to mulch them up and do whatever it takes to make the lawn look good. I will never rake or use a leaf loader as they are a waist of money, time, and space. If it's bad I will mulch them and if there is some left over I will bag them on a 1 inch higher setting. Total time of about 15 min extra that I have built in during the season. Some lawns are worse than others but in my bids I add all that into consideration and I make sure they know that. Most people look at bills as an every month thing and I make sure I make the cost the same every month. I try to bid all my lawns that end up giving me 2 extra cuts a year to compensate. This also allows me to send them a gift certificate the movies or to a restaurant for their patronage at the end of the season if I feel they deserve it. Leaves don't bother me at all this way, and if you think about it why don't we charge more in the spring when the grass grows so fast?

rodfather
10-29-2004, 05:14 PM
why don't we charge more in the spring when the grass grows so fast?

I do. It's called a 5-day mowing rotation.

stxkyboy
10-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Yea but if you are ONLY going to cut the grass, you have to first somehow remove the leaves. That takes extra energy, you have to find somewhere to dispose of the raked leaves, and that all will cost extra.

Jason
wht is it nessecary to remove the leaves...if the owner doesnt want them removed just cut them what is the hold up?

Wreak
10-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Well, it takes twice to three times as long to mow right over the leaves. Besides, all the mulched up leaves could eventually kill the grass and in the spring you won't have anything to mow. You need to think of it as a long term thing and what's better for the grass and if you have a future in mowing it next season. It would be in the customer's best intrest and your best interest if they were to pay a little extra for the extra time you spend picking up the leaves.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-29-2004, 06:43 PM
It depends on the way they want the job done. The customer is always right you know. I'll do whatever if they want them picked up or if they want them mulched up I do whatever it takes. I charge a bit more than other LCO's anyway to adjust for all this. I usually blow all the leaves out of the corners before I pull the mower of the trailer. I proceed to mulch them up and do whatever it takes to make the lawn look good. I will never rake or use a leaf loader as they are a waist of money, time, and space. If it's bad I will mulch them and if there is some left over I will bag them on a 1 inch higher setting. Total time of about 15 min extra that I have built in during the season. Some lawns are worse than others but in my bids I add all that into consideration and I make sure they know that. Most people look at bills as an every month thing and I make sure I make the cost the same every month. I try to bid all my lawns that end up giving me 2 extra cuts a year to compensate. This also allows me to send them a gift certificate the movies or to a restaurant for their patronage at the end of the season if I feel they deserve it. Leaves don't bother me at all this way, and if you think about it why don't we charge more in the spring when the grass grows so fast?

Bray, that is the exact same way I do them. My customers (or my area will not pay extra, so you better figure it in a year round price). There are exceptions if I GRRR have to vacumm I charge a little extra depending on the amount of debri. I did one of my PITA ladies yesterday and it took me about a extra 15 minutes to blow pecan leaves away from the house and fence and I mulch the yard year round anyways. I would like to charge all the extra $$$ some of the LCO charge for on here but it dont flush in my neck of the woods.

Danny

rodfather
10-29-2004, 06:46 PM
Danny, you need to relocate to a different neck of the woods IMO...and real soon too btw.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-29-2004, 08:12 PM
Danny, you need to relocate to a different neck of the woods IMO...and real soon too btw.

Rodfather, that is a very real possibility in the near future.

Danny

bobbygedd
10-29-2004, 09:14 PM
great danny, you can hang out with me and rod. i'll show you how to make the big bucks here,catch fish, meet all the hot chics, and rod will show you, umm, rod will show you, ummm, well, rod's a real nice guy. let us know when you're comming

rodfather
10-29-2004, 09:28 PM
No Danny, Rod will show you how to make the large dollars...bobby can take ya fishin'...lol

bobbygedd
10-29-2004, 09:31 PM
yea, but large and LARGE are two different things. i make lots of little large dollars, rod makes the LARGE, LARGE dollars.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-29-2004, 11:21 PM
yea, but large and LARGE are two different things. i make lots of little large dollars, rod makes the LARGE, LARGE dollars.

Hey, Ill take large or small dollars, either one is fine, including change! I actually went down 5 bucks on 2 yards this week just to keep them. Am holding 3 checks until Nov. 20. Our econcmy has really hit bottom in past few months.

Danny

impactlandscaping
10-30-2004, 01:04 AM
Hey Danny, a little off topic, but I see your cyclone rake crapped out. What happened?

QualityLawnCare4u
10-30-2004, 01:17 AM
Hey Danny, a little off topic, but I see your cyclone rake crapped out. What happened?

Impactlandscaping, the cyclone rake did not fit my needs, was to big for my properties.

Danny

bobbygedd
10-30-2004, 08:55 AM
man, you need to get the hell out of georgia. what the heck is in georgia anyhow? you need to come to where the water tastes like wine, where money grows on trees, good ole jersey.