PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing the equipment...

Up North
10-29-2004, 05:20 PM
Anything special I should do to my equipment before storing it for the winter? I just changed the oil & filter and have about 15 hours on it since. Should I change it again and store with fresh oil? What about the belts or spindles? Was thinking about pulling the spindles and spraying some WD40 on them. What about the hydros?

The equipment will be stored in my heated shop so shouldn't have to worry much about condensation but will add Stabil to the left over fuel. (I've run the tanks down to just having a little bit left in one tank.)

Thanks!

Buck

Forest
10-29-2004, 05:34 PM
Buck, I'd strongly recommend filling the tanks on all of your equipment, along with adding Stabil to the gas. This leaves absolutly no room for any kind of condensation. Also a suggestion would be to head to the auto parts store and pick up some fogging oil. It comes in an aresol can and gets sprayed into the cylinder. All you have to do is pull the spark plug quick and spray, then put plug back in. Come spring time you'll burn out the fogging oil and it'll smoke for a minute and then be normal. It just coats the cylinder walls. Fresh oil is always good. You might also grease all moving parts as well. Sure couldn't hurt. GOOD LUCK with you're next season in our great state of Minnesota!

Up North
10-29-2004, 07:03 PM
Buck, I'd strongly recommend filling the tanks on all of your equipment, along with adding Stabil to the gas. This leaves absolutly no room for any kind of condensation. Also a suggestion would be to head to the auto parts store and pick up some fogging oil. It comes in an aresol can and gets sprayed into the cylinder. All you have to do is pull the spark plug quick and spray, then put plug back in. Come spring time you'll burn out the fogging oil and it'll smoke for a minute and then be normal. It just coats the cylinder walls. Fresh oil is always good. You might also grease all moving parts as well. Sure couldn't hurt. GOOD LUCK with you're next season in our great state of Minnesota!

How much of the fogging oil do you spray into each cylinder? Sounds like a good idea, my buddy does that with his sleds but I've never done it, maybe I'll start now. Was planning on fresh grease in all zirks. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Buck

gogetter
10-29-2004, 07:48 PM
Buck, there may be some helpful info in this thread:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=36876&highlight=winterizing+equipment

Up North
10-29-2004, 11:25 PM
Buck, there may be some helpful info in this thread:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=36876&highlight=winterizing+equipment

Thanks gogetter, lots of good info in that thread, that should set me up. Sorry, I should have done a search myself to save you the time, but thanks.

Buck

Forest
10-29-2004, 11:47 PM
How much of the fogging oil do you spray into each cylinder? Sounds like a good idea, my buddy does that with his sleds but I've never done it, maybe I'll start now. Was planning on fresh grease in all zirks. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Buck

Buck, When you pull the plug just spray enough in the cylinder to give it all an even coat. You'll probobly see a little mist rise through the plug hole. That'll be good. ALSO, I would strongly recommend draining the bowl on the carbs of your gear. To do this you simply undo the drain screw at the bottom of bowl (this was mentioned earlier in the thread link above I believe). The big reason for this is that gasoline as a larger quantity keeps it's basic chemical make-up. Don't get me wrong, as it does get stale and go bad if not stabilized. But, the small quantity of gasoline in the bottom of your carb bowls will break down as it slowly evaporates leaving a gummy mess that vary easily and most often clogs jets and air mixture screws.

ALarsh
10-30-2004, 12:44 AM
I would put stabil in the gas tank and run the engine for about 15 minutes to get the stabil thru the carb. Fill the tank back up to the top. Next, take off the air filter, start the engine and put it at 1/2 throttle. Spray the fogging oil down the carb until the engine kills (should take anywhere from 2-10 seconds, if it doesn't shut off, turn the RPM's down a little while spraying the fogging oil). You will see some smoke coming from the exhaust and hear the engine struggling to stay running, this is ok. Now that the engine has shut off from shooting fogging oil down the carb put the air filter back on. Take the spark plugs out and shoot the fogging oil in each spark plug hole for 3 seconds. Replace the spark plug and you are done.

Keep in mind, after you do this you cannot run the engine until spring, or you will have to re-do the procedure.

Good luck!

Craftybigdog
10-30-2004, 04:03 AM
I wouldnt recommend running 2-strokes out of gas, because that is there oil source. Its not good for them st all.

Forest
10-30-2004, 07:09 PM
Like Craftybigdog said...Running 2 strokes out of gas is like running a engine without oil, so just fill 'er up and stabilize it.

ALarsh
10-30-2004, 07:11 PM
Like Craftybigdog said...Running 2 strokes out of gas is like running a engine without oil, so just fill 'er up and stabilize it.
Fog it also. Do the same procedure I listed above for your 2 strokes.