PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Backpack Blower

The LawnSmith
10-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Does anyone use the Stihl Br340 or Br340L blower? Whats your feedback on them and whats the price on them? I looked up the Stihl webpage, but no prices are there.

Mike

soccerlawn
10-29-2004, 09:48 PM
I have to 420 Magnum, I love the power that it has.

It cost me 400

LLandscaping
10-29-2004, 10:15 PM
We have 2 Stihl BR 420 Magnums. They are great blower and are light weight. I think that we paid about $400, but this time of the year usually they have sales.

grass_cuttin_fool
10-29-2004, 11:21 PM
I use a stihl 340, I really like mine and it does ok. Lots of guys on here are gonna say go with echo, or redmax. They are really rated very high in air volume. I paid $299.00 for my stihl

Bgaz
10-29-2004, 11:36 PM
We use the 420's, but beware they are a hard if not impossible to start when hot. We used 4 of them today blowing leaves, and when they run out of gas and you refuel, you pull your arm off trying to restart them. They will fire but wont run without constant fiddling with the choke. Took me over 50 pulls today to restart mine. I wasted at least 1/2 manhour of labor waiting for 3 of the 4 to start after refueling.

Never have trouble with them for grass mowing, guess they don't get hot enough. They start every time.

stevesmowing
10-30-2004, 12:01 AM
I tired a 420 this spring then bought a shin eb630 b/c i thought it had a little more power. Well this summer I worked for another guy using 420's and let me tell you the only blower I would ever buy would be another eb630. Powerful, reliable, strong, light, and comfortable what more would you want?

impactlandscaping
10-30-2004, 01:08 AM
We use the Stihls with no problems. Not as many CFM's as a 7001 or 8000, but they do the job. I am going to have to get a new Redmax 8000 for next spring.I paid around 3 bills for my Stihls, and get great service to boot...

Lbilawncare
10-30-2004, 01:17 AM
We have several BR400's and BR420's. They've had minor problems, but overall have been really great. We get ours for $329.00

lafrance4078
10-30-2004, 01:19 AM
I had an older model Redmax that could have powered the space shuttle. After it was stolen, I went to look at the Stihls. I ended up buying a BR340. It is a great bp blower. The dealer did explain how easy it was to flood it though. I will most likely buy a 420 next time for the added power. I paid 269.99 for my 340. I would recomend it to someone who needs an extra blower or to someone who cannot afford the 420. PM me if you have any other ?'s about it.

grass_cuttin_fool
10-30-2004, 09:46 AM
The only thing I can say bad about the stihl blower is that the spark arestor screen will clogg up and choke the blower engine down. It is very simple to remove and clean only takes a few minutes

Bgaz
10-30-2004, 12:28 PM
It is not the spark arrestor screen that is clogged, they get cleaned couple times a year. These units (at least ones I have) will not start when hot, without many pulls and constant fiddling with choke. It has to be a carb problem, that only happens when they are very hot, ie used over an hour or through one full tank of gas. Is quite annoying and I doubt I spend $400 on Stihl again.

LLandscaping
10-30-2004, 12:36 PM
You need the remove the screen from the exhaust port, we had starting problems, but since we remove the screens they start 2nd pull.

Steppenwolf
10-30-2004, 07:22 PM
BGAZ , exact same problem,other threads have said the same thing.They are impossible to start when hot with out playing with the choke. Stihl rep said he has never heard of the problem,same with the dealer,so from now on we have to blow the blower engines to cool them off to get them started. The spark arrestors have been removed.Redmax is looking better.Stihl is a proud sponser but I guess they never read these posts..........or don't really care.

khutch
10-30-2004, 09:14 PM
Everybody has different experiences, but my 420 is very consistant, cold or hot.
Choke - one pull
Run - one pull and starts.

gardenprowhistler
10-31-2004, 12:36 AM
I have 2 echos and the stihl magnum. The stihl is more powerful, and better made. The echos are always losing screws etc etc. The magnum in three years hasn't had a problem, it has never had a problem starting even when super hot- ever.

rmullerkc
11-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Try an Echo or Red Max. The Stihl isn't as powerful and the impeller is ungaurded. I had a stick tear up the impeller on the second job with it.

Shuter
11-02-2004, 01:18 PM
I use the BR 400. I have one that is 9 years old and works great. The only problem has been a carb replacement (instead of rebuilding) 2 years ago. I want to buy a new one, but the old one will not die.

Sam-Ohio
11-03-2004, 12:02 AM
We use the 420's, but beware they are a hard if not impossible to start when hot. We used 4 of them today blowing leaves, and when they run out of gas and you refuel, you pull your arm off trying to restart them. They will fire but wont run without constant fiddling with the choke. Took me over 50 pulls today to restart mine. I wasted at least 1/2 manhour of labor waiting for 3 of the 4 to start after refueling.

Never have trouble with them for grass mowing, guess they don't get hot enough. They start every time.

Have you taken your Stihls back to your dealer to find out why they are so difficult to restart hot ?

This is NOT a normal characteristic of these machines - yet , you are having the same problem with several of these blowers. What is it that could make all of your blowers have the same exact problem ?

Is the gasoline that is sold in the Cincinatti area blended with extra alchohol or tertiary ether in order to get more oxygen into it - to make the EPA happy ? These so called oxygenated blended fuels can sure raise the combustion temperature in the cylinder of the engine. If you are using regular grade gasoline for your 2 cycle fuel - it could possibly be the source of some of your problems. Try mixing up 1 gal. of high test - premium gasoline with your normal Stihl 50-1 , 2 cyc. oil and see if the engines run any better and cooler. Also, try adjusting the high speed jet -marked[H]- just a little richer. If the engine is running too hot, this will bring the temp way down.

If you don't feel confident messing around with the carb settings, take it back to your dealer, and explain the problem you are having with all your units, and see what he thinks will help get rid of this condition you have going on.

Finally, make sure that dry leaves aren't plugging the air intake on your blowers. If this air intake gets restricted, then there isn't as much cooling air being pushed through the fins on the engine, and again the engine temp will raise way up.

It may be a combination of several little things that all added together, make the engine get too hot to restart easily.