PDA

View Full Version : Called,ordered,wrote,cancelled=2 LATE

MOW ED
10-30-2004, 10:05 AM
This story is just one more of those "goofy customer" stories that we all eventually get.
I will try and not show bias or insensitivity when I write about this but I am still shaking my head. Now before you get on me for the no contract, tough luck B.S. let me tell you the story.
In the past 8 years or so I have done work for this lady on a one time basis. One spring clean and a fall clean. She takes care of her own yard as far as mowing goes. She is a never married, self described - very particular 50 something retired schoolteacher. The words anal retentive can be used also.

She usually calls about 2 weeks prior and tells me a specific date that she wants the work done. In the past she has left very specific rambling messages about how to do the work. She called on the 15th of October and I talked directly to her for the list. The work for this years fall clean was to be a fall leaf clean and final mow, blow the pine needles off of the roof and apply the fall fertilizer. The date was to be October 28th. or 29th. I always explain the she will be put on the list and that I will try and accomidate her if possible. So this year I was able to be there on the 28 which was Thursday. I completed all of the work that she had asked for(BTW there is a very good profit margin on this job). The yard looked great and I was in and out in under an hour.

Friday afternoon I get my mail and there is an envelope from her. I thought it was odd since I did not bill her yet and I was just there on Thursday. It was odd alright, the letter goes on to tell me that I was to wait to do the final mowing and clean as all the leaves have not fallen as of yet, she suggested a date later in November. On top of that she also said that she had put the fall fertilizer on the lawn herself and I did not have to do that. She had written the letter on Wednesday and mailed it. By the time I got it on Friday, everything was done.

I just about fell to my knees. So now I am waiting to see the result of this mess. I did what she asked, when she asked and then she sends me a letter instead of calling me ANYTIME in the prior 2 weeks to cancel.
Yes, I am bad for not having a contract but I don't work that way. I am not crying that she didn't pay or anything like that, she may well pay for it all. I am just relating a goofy customer story to you. Funny thing is that I could go thru my customer base and pick out which customer would be most likely to pull this type of thing and she is at the top of the list. :dizzy:

Randy Scott
10-30-2004, 10:28 AM
In all seriousness, no kidding, and I totally mean this, some people are fricken' weird! Completely weird, mental, whacked! Do they have some type of chromosome missing?

The things I too have experienced dealing with people makes me wonder how many times they were dropped on their head as a child. The things that come out of their mouths and the way they act freak me out.

Not only is this lady nuts, but now she's going to lie about the dates you agreed on. That's my next problem with the common citizen, they're liars on top of being freaks. Oh well, it does keep things exciting!

bobbygedd
10-30-2004, 11:05 AM
tell us how you will deal with this

mtdman
10-30-2004, 11:53 AM
If she's only an occassional customer, I'd stop working for her. She's a nutbag.

RichmondR
10-30-2004, 12:04 PM
MOW ED --

For what its worth, if your usual form of communication with this person was by phone, and she writes you a letter that you receive after you do the work, then I dont think she has a legitimate legal argument. My response to her would be the same: "if you wanted to delay the work, you should have called me, especially since you knew I was coming." I certainly would expect to have to pay the bill if it was my lawn.

Lawn-Scapes
10-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Man.. that's a strange one ED. Not your fault though... You had a verbal agreement. Maybe she's gone from retired to retarted? :)

Let us know how it turns out. The grass should be green and growing in the spring. :eek:

MMLawn
10-30-2004, 12:17 PM
This is after the fact now, but I don't care how good the money I'd drop this PITA like a hot potato.

rodfather
10-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Tell you what Ed, this woman has some serious "static in the attic" if ya know what I mean. I would have a face-to-face conversation (no phone, no letters back and forth) with her and just spell it out to her in plain english. Period

Like bobby mentioned, let us know what happends. Good luck with this one too...

AL Inc
10-30-2004, 01:11 PM
Ed, kind of a bummer, but time will tell. It is her fault, not yours. If you have to argue to get your money, so be it. And never work for her again. I'm sure you have plenty of other great clients that you can work for AND get paid. I weed out people like this every year, and my client list has very few complainers/PITAs.

mtdman
10-30-2004, 01:16 PM
If you haven't talked to her about it yet on the phone, then this is what you do. Send her the bill, pretend that you never got the letter. You have a verbal contract with her to do the work. If she wanted to change the contract, she was obligated to do so in plenty of time to give you notice. Sending a letter through the mail the day before the work was scheduled is not plenty of time. Even though she sent the letter, she doesn't know you received it.

Then, give her the boot and quit dealing with her.

gogetter
10-30-2004, 01:18 PM
That IS weird! That she would write, and send the letter just 1 day before you're scheduled to be, rather then call you, is wacky.

Let us know how it pans out. Good luck.

Runner
10-30-2004, 01:40 PM
Within reason, she surely could not have expected you to recieve that letter in one day. Even if she did, OR called you at this time, it is still unfair to you as you have already scheduled it and were prepared to do it. What does she think, you just sit around and wait for the 28th to come around so you can run out to your garage and load up your equipment?

tiedeman
10-30-2004, 01:56 PM
I would agree with MTD, call her up and tell her the work is all done, but never talk about the letter. When she brings up the letter just tell her, sorry I haven't received anything yet, maybe it will come today or Monday.

MOW ED
10-30-2004, 02:20 PM
I am always kinda nervous when posting these kind of stories but I do appreciate the sympathetic ears.

My resolution to it is simple, she will get the bill today in the mail as my wife sent it out yesterday. I have no recourse but to get paid in full and I am not going to accept anything less. I still dont believe that happened. If there is a problem I am sure she will call as she had to come home and see that I had everything done.

I'll let you know what pans out. It must be the FULL MOON!!!!

all ferris
10-30-2004, 03:17 PM
If she doesn't pay then take the same amount of leaves from a different job and put them back on her yard......NEXT SPRING. That will piss her off. OR deny ever getting the letter and demand payment or you'll put a lien on her property. What do these people think? As I have said before, God must like stupid people because he sure did make a bunch of them.

prizeprop
10-30-2004, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't lie about not getting the letter. I would have been on the phone with her as soon as I read the letter, so she knows you did the job. The more time that passes means leaves will continue to fall and soon it will look like you were 'nt there on the 28th. Also save the envelope with the post mark just in case you have to pursue this legally.