PDA

View Full Version : Do NOT powerwash my mower

dfor
10-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Every time I bring my mower into the dealer for work I say "don't powerwash it", but still it gets powerwashed. Personally, I would rather have a dirty mower than to have high pressured water all over it. Getting into places where water should not be. I've had water get into an ond Scag peerless transmission that eventually froze in 3rd gear. Anyone else feel this way about their equipment?

mpblass
10-30-2004, 02:27 PM
I used to powerwash my mowers all the time. Then I had a drive bearing go out twice in two years on one of my wb's. My dealer said it was probably from powerwashing it all the time. I now only powerwash once at the end of the season.

Critical Care
10-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Generally they suggest compressed air to blow out the dirt and crud from the engine area, not water. Before I got my air compressor I'd simply use my backpack blower and it would do a pretty good job.

But, it is common to use a pressure washer to clean the underside of a deck. It may be that some people get carried away with pressure washers thinking "Geeze, as long as I have this thing going, why not clean the whole mower?" The Walker manual doesn't suggest this.

lafrance4078
10-30-2004, 02:34 PM
I think that if I was to powerwash my older model WB, all of the dirt would fall off. That would be a huge problem bc I think the dirt is all that holds it together. It stills puts a great cut on some grass though.

Critical Care
10-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Heh heh, Clip "n" Trim Lawncare... the bubble gum and duct tape is used for the times that you do clean that WB.

Richard Martin
10-30-2004, 04:03 PM
A lot of mechanics like to clean a machine before they work on it. I don't blame them.

J.Gordon
10-30-2004, 04:10 PM
I power wash mine all the time. If youíre worried about getting water in your spindles, just keep them greased up.

sailinstud420
10-30-2004, 07:42 PM
As far as greasing those spindles up, i would love to do it, but to the best of my knowledge exmark spindles are sealed, correct? Anyone grease these? Short of taking em off the deck and dissasembling them?

CathyLynn
10-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Our mechanics also like a clean machine. We charge a cleaning fee if teh machine really needs washing! We would not clean a machine just to repair a flat tire or some other simple procedure.EFI engines should not have high pressure aimed at them but the rest of the machine can be cleaned!

We have cleaned our machines really good several times per season with no adverse effects on any components. It also rains on us occasionally and the machines do not die from a little water! We waqsh our trucks too--and amazingly the paint stays on!!

Lawnchoice
10-30-2004, 09:18 PM
When I am finished blowing off the driveway at a customers house, I always blow off the mower then load up and onto the next stop.

I believe that excessive pressure washing can do a number on a bearing/belt/pulley, etc. as well so I only pressure wash the deck and other areas that can take the high powered water.

j_loppy
10-30-2004, 09:49 PM
I usually take mine by the carwash after mowing my last yard before the scheduled maintenance. Their degreaser is biodegradeable and the pressure is not that strong. It's nice to have it up on the trailer (no bending over!) and the trailer gets a wash as well. The best thing is I don't have to put all that stuff up when I get done washing. Everything is nice and dry when I get home, too.

As far as under the deck, I'll carefully (while wearing my PPE) squirt water under the deck with the PTO engaged. This is all the thing really needs. At the end of the season I'll get the scraper out and clean under the deck really good, and coat the bottom of the deck with a light oil to prevent rust.

Just my $.02

mtdman
10-31-2004, 12:42 AM
I'll blow the grass and debris off the deck, occassionally wash the dog crap off the tires, but other than that I never clean the machines. One time I actually took 'em to the car wash to clean. They didn't get so clean, and the next day, they were dirty all over again. I've got better things to do than wash a machine meant to be dirty, and the machine still cuts just fine.

I think if I suggested to my dealer that he wash the machine before working on it, I'd get laughed outta the building.

:D

65hoss
10-31-2004, 08:30 AM
I blow them off and keep them working. These are tools not show cars.

Do not use powerwashing around the spindle areas. Especially if you have a spindle assembly that is non greaseable. Forced water will get in, and there is no way out. Thus you can get an early bearing failure. I've seen it personally a few times and eXmark backed it up. They tell you forced water can find its way into the spindle and over time a lost bearing. Research shows that its true.

Richard Martin
10-31-2004, 08:45 AM
As far as greasing those spindles up, i would love to do it, but to the best of my knowledge exmark spindles are sealed, correct? Anyone grease these? Short of taking em off the deck and dissasembling them?

You can drill and tap them for a grease fitting under the deck. It works well and the spindle bearings last a lot longer when you can grease them.

SCAG POWER
10-31-2004, 08:52 AM
At the end of the week .The last yard to be done is mine thats when i hand wash my mowers with Eagle One wash then follow it up with their tire gel so the tires shine, a quick spray wax and then its back in storage for the next week. Also i try to blow off the mowers after every yard. :sleeping:

scottishmaximus
10-31-2004, 09:35 AM
You can drill and tap them for a grease fitting under the deck. It works well and the spindle bearings last a lot longer when you can grease them.

Can you cite a source for this. I have been looking for studies for a while. I think i would rather have the sealed because i hate finding the zirk fittings and always getting dirty. I see zirk fittings as another place for dirt to get in.

sailinstud420
11-01-2004, 10:59 AM
I agree sealed would be better, but in my opinion one way or another water is going to find its way inside, I think i'll choose grease zerks for me.

grassaholic
11-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Even if you drill and tap the spindle housing on an Exmark spindle you CAN'T grease the bearings. The bearings are sealed. All you would be doing is pumping grease into the housing around the bearing. No grease would actually make it into the bearing because the bearings are sealed bearings.

Gautreaux's LNG
11-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Make sure the engine is running while you're spraying the mower. When you're finished get on the mower and run your blades long enough for them to heat up! This will burn off any water that may sit just inside your bearing!

Gravely_Man
11-01-2004, 02:29 PM
Presurized water and bearings don't go together. I clean my equipment off with the blower and when I want to wash it I use a regular garden hose. I like my equipment to be clean but also to work....hence no presure washer.

Gravely_Man

orangejbird
11-01-2004, 04:22 PM
I carry 1" and 2" flexible putty scrapers in the truck to "clean" the deck. Much faster than dragging out the power washer.
Compressed air to blow off "chaff."

No water for my machine.

Critical Care
11-02-2004, 06:22 PM
How about mounting a stream rotor upside down on the deck with a hose adapter on it? Just hook a hose up to it and the rotor will pop up (down?) and clean the deck.