PDA

View Full Version : One Branch

lafrance4078
10-30-2004, 04:11 PM
I really over bid this job. Customer wanted a limb removed that had fallen due to wind damage. I bid her 100.00 to remove it which included the haul fee. It only to me 45 min to complete the job and another 20 min to haul it off and dump at the greenwaste recyclying facility. Guess I made some ok money for 1 hour of work. The picture is what i cut up from one branch. Big branch!

bobbygedd
10-30-2004, 04:20 PM
what was the dumping fee?

impactlandscaping
10-30-2004, 05:05 PM
For that amount of brush, I don't think it was overbid.As Bobby said, what was the dump fee, b/c you may have underbid...

lawnman_scott
10-30-2004, 05:13 PM
Sounds like that is a free dump site. $100/hour is too cheap now? Whats the going rate in WV?

bobbygedd
10-30-2004, 05:17 PM
$100 an hour, may be too cheap. it depends on the number of hours. if i prune a tree, it takes 2 hrs, and i make $200, that sounds good. but, how many hours a week can i get, at the rate of that $100 an hour? if it's only two, i'm in big trouble. now, if i can charge $40 an hour, and secure 40 hrs a week at this rate, i'm doin ok. a load like that would cost me $70 to get rid of. i couldn't do the job for $100

impactlandscaping
10-30-2004, 10:51 PM
$ 100.00 sounds good until you consider your time, truck, gas, ins., taxes,dump fees(if applicable)..etc..I would have charged at least $ 150.00. It's just not worth servicing the saws for anything less, much less a 20 min. drive to get rid of it. If you felt you made an honest profit for the 65 minutes, that's all that matters, not what I or anyone else thinks or says.Now, if you could only line up 25 jobs like that each week!! :drinkup:

KINGjosh
10-30-2004, 10:56 PM
looks more like a small tree to me. dumping down here is $2.50 per every 100 pounds of material. $100 is o.k. i guess. like the others said what was your dump fee?

LwnmwrMan22
10-30-2004, 11:11 PM
Hmmm.... gotta love the fact that I own 16 acres. No dumping fees. I suppose though, since my customers don't know I don't have any dumping fees, that I should still charge them, huh Bobby??

KINGjosh
10-30-2004, 11:16 PM
Hmmm.... gotta love the fact that I own 16 acres. No dumping fees. I suppose though, since my customers don't know I don't have any dumping fees, that I should still charge them, huh Bobby??

boy that must be real nice. what do you have a chipper you shred it up with or let it rot in the back corner?

lafrance4078
10-30-2004, 11:50 PM
My standard hourly rate is 45.00. This is used most of the time, becuase I work solo usually. The place where I dump usually charges me 20.00 to dump. They do have scales, but they look at my truck and trailer and I guess they think "how much can he reeaally have in that thing. They never make me stop to weigh, just wave me threw. I feel like I made a pretty good profit on this job. The job was at one of my great weekly mowing customers home. She wants full service all the time. Hedges, planting, mulch, mow, ferts (which we contract with True Green for) I was happy to do it.

KINGjosh
10-30-2004, 11:56 PM
sounds like they do alot of pocketing of the money over ther at the dump! If they dont weigh you. I would hope they give you a reciept so you can deduct it.

MMLawn
10-31-2004, 12:21 AM
So you actually did it for $80 before your other expenses.

Rustic Goat
10-31-2004, 12:31 AM
From the looks of that load, the job was not overbid.
You drove to this job, (time/labor/equipment)
cut 'the' branch, (time/labor/tools)
loaded it, (time/labor/truck/trailer)
drove to dump site, (time/truck/trailer/labor)
drove back to point 'A' to start next job. (time/truck/labor)

If you really think you can MAKE money doing this type job for what you charged, considering all that was involved, I respectfully submit, you have no clue.

Above list did not even include any overhead figures.

NOT over bid.

gogetter
10-31-2004, 01:37 AM

If you really think you can MAKE money doing this type job for what you charged, considering all that was involved, I respectfully submit, you have no clue.

NOT over bid.

While I agree that it wasn't overbid, I would hardly say that someone can't make money at $80 for 65 minutes work solo.
You can sit there and list every single step he took, and every single thing required to get the job done, but in the end, it was 65 minutes.

bobbygedd
10-31-2004, 07:45 AM
lwnmowerman, you most certainly SHOULD charge for the dumping. just because you get something for free, doesn't mean you pass this savings on to the client. you should pass this saving on, to your bank account! at one time, i had access to a huge property with woods. the guy let me dump, basically for free, but every couple of months, if i ran into him, i'd throw him a $50 (which he never asked for). but, most of the time, to avoid this, i went there at like 5 am when he was sleeping. i would pull behing the house, drive back into the woods, and unload. this was totally free. HOWEVER, i charged the clients $90 for a full truckload, and $45 for a partial truck load. i loved it when i did tiny cleanups, and billed 10 customers for a partial load, it would take all 10 to fill the truck. i'd scrape out a smooth $450 for getting up at 5 am, and unloading the truck(20 min work)

LwnmwrMan22
10-31-2004, 08:12 AM
boy that must be real nice. what do you have a chipper you shred it up with or let it rot in the back corner?

I just dump the dump trailer, push it all into a pile, then where there's about 6-8" of snow on the ground, we have a nice fire, usually New Year's Eve, Christmas, roast marshmallows, hot dogs, that sort of thing.

Right now I've got a pile about 20' L x 40' W x 15' H. Takes about 4-5 days to burn / smolder down.

grasswhacker
10-31-2004, 08:18 AM

I have 24 acres to dump my material on, but still charge a haul and dump fee because it takes time to unload, takes up space, and I have to go burn the debris. I usually charge 25.00 for that fee.

lafrance4078
10-31-2004, 12:41 PM
Rustic, thank you for letting me know about all of the extra steps I took that faithful day with the branch. Next time I will be sure to formulate a plan of action so that I have the ability to properly establish an organized monetary payment structure. Thanks to all of the other members also, I now feel sure that I in fact did not overbid the job. Bobby, you are right, discounts go straight to my bank account.

lawnman_scott
10-31-2004, 05:14 PM

NOT over bid.
how did you come to the conclusion that he has no clue? Im sure he knows what he did, and even how long it took. Also, how is time related to labor in your formulation?