PDA

View Full Version : how many people .....

bobbygedd
10-30-2004, 04:18 PM
how many people here, rely only on thier lawn business to support thier family. i mean, you know,kids, mortgage payment, health insurence, etc. and, wife stays home with the kids. tell me, i'm curious

Just Cut
10-30-2004, 04:45 PM
I am, we are not getting rich we are just making a living

MLI
10-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Im married with 2 girls... one handicapped with Angelmans symdrone and the other healthy(thank God). Currently my wife stays at home, and raises both children along with the countless visits from theropist and visits to Childrens Hospital in Boston. Basically im the only source of income for my family, and i'd consider my situation pretty extreme.....so im sure anyone with a good plan, and whos motivated could make a living at this! BTW im 37 if thats of interest

bobbygedd
10-30-2004, 04:57 PM
you have a home? health benefits that you pay for? dental, optical? wear brand name clothing (not trying to be a wise ass). trying to figure out if one can truly have a quality life in this business. the last guy (from lawnsite) who claimed to be "doing great", i found out at 35, him and his wife, lived with her mother, and didn't have health coverage. when they got sick, they got charity care at the local hospitol

lawnman_scott
10-30-2004, 05:21 PM
at a few hundred $$$ an hour (gross that is) i would have to say everyone is doing ok at it.

BCSteel
10-30-2004, 05:44 PM
I live in a mobile home. I wear the cheapest clothes that I can find, new that is. My truck is 10 years old. But, my equipment is in top notch order. My truck runs like a dream. I buy only the best of the "things" that I want. And I have more than enough money invested and in the bank. To all outward appearances, I look like minimum wage construction worker when I'm out and about. Actually, I look better when I'm at work than anyother time. I get a laugh at all those guys out there maxed out on their credit limits and paying intrest out the wazoo to look the part of richy rich. I'd much rather play the unasuming yet well off role.

MLI
10-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Id start by saying that each person has their own definition of success and quality of life. I consider mine comfortable, I have most of the things in life that I want, of course theres a few im still working for but in general im very happy :) To answer some of your questions yes I have a home, but what does this really mean?! Houses in this area (Boston suburbs)average 350k+ homes in mid west may be 125k all depends on each individuals situation. I was lucky enough to get into my house 10 yrs ago when the values were 1/3 what they are now. Another situation for me anyways was that I didnt get married until early thirties...I was able to stash $$ away before I got married and had kids(Again...Thank God I did with this handicapp situation)I'll be honest since I got married with this unique situation im in now, it's tough to save alot of $$ but I hold my own and know things will get better. I run my families health care through my business($960 per month...no dental) In a way I really cant complain because healthcare is a writeoff. Im not driving around in a BMW but have a new Honda minivan. My work trucks age from 95 to 02 basically what it all boils down too is that im a jeans sweatshirt type of guy that runs a business that supports his kids, pays the bills, puts $$ into IRA's and goes out to eat once in awhile. I think thats sucessfull for me....and im hungry for more! Again what I think works for me, maynot work for you. If your hungry enough to make this thing work for you and your family, whats stopping you?

Avery
10-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Not me. Too much of a risk for that. I have several other sources of income. As with stocks you need to diversify in business.

J&R
10-30-2004, 05:49 PM
My wife stays home the kids are married my home is paid for. I guess you can make a good living cutting grass.

bastalker
10-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Id start by saying that each person has their own definition of success and quality of life. I consider mine comfortable, I have most of the things in life that I want, of course theres a few im still working for but in general im very happy :) To answer some of your questions yes I have a home, but what does this really mean?! Houses in this area (Boston suburbs)average 350k+ homes in mid west may be 125k all depends on each individuals situation. I was lucky enough to get into my house 10 yrs ago when the values were 1/3 what they are now. Another situation for me anyways was that I didnt get married until early thirties...I was able to stash $$ away before I got married and had kids(Again...Thank God I did with this handicapp situation)I'll be honest since I got married with this unique situation im in now, it's tough to save alot of $$ but I hold my own and know things will get better. I run my families health care through my business($960 per month...no dental) In a way I really cant complain because healthcare is a writeoff. Im not driving around in a BMW but have a new Honda minivan. My work trucks age from 95 to 02 basically what it all boils down too is that im a jeans sweatshirt type of guy that runs a business that supports his kids, pays the bills, puts $$ into IRA's and goes out to eat once in awhile. I think thats sucessfull for me....and im hungry for more! Again what I think works for me, maynot work for you. If your hungry enough to make this thing work for you and your family, whats stopping you?

Ditto........ :drinkup: :drinkup: for the most part!!

I pay all the bills.... :) ;)

Steppenwolf
10-30-2004, 05:55 PM
We do it full time, been in business 16 years, got medical and retirement plan.
If you run it like a business, it is a business just like any other.If you are in it for beer and cig money, that is all you will make. If you take seriously what you do,you should do ok, not rich but get by and enjoy a few things in life.You must be a little self motivated on the days when you want to say **** it,that seperates the men from the boyz.......so to speak.So yes Bobby you can make a living,have a quality of life,enjoy your family and house if you make the comitment to the industry.Never give up and never give in....

bobbygedd
10-30-2004, 06:15 PM
well then you guys are doing ok. all the guys i know in this business are doing ok, but, they are single with no responsibilities. the others that are married, send thier wives to work for bennies. i was just wondering if a husband in this business could do it all himself, and keep the wife home with the kids. anyhow, thank god i finally sent the wife to work, those 4 day work weeks were killing me, and cutting into my fishin time

rodfather
10-30-2004, 06:22 PM
anyhow, thank god i finally sent the wife to work, those 4 day work weeks were killing me, and cutting into my fishin time

You're a piece of work robert lol...btw, I make a decent income even for living in NJ too.

DennisF
10-30-2004, 06:59 PM
I'm retired and doing this for extra income. If I had to make a living at it...I wouldn't be doing it here in Florida. Too many cheapskates here to make any real money in this business. Most of the customers I have live in homes that are $200,000 or more and have a new Cadillac or Mercedes in the garage. They scream like a banshee when you qoute $25 for lawn care. I honestly don't know how the LCO's in this area can earn a decent living.

bobbygedd
10-30-2004, 07:17 PM
i know what u mean, the only one here that makes good money is rodfather. it's like, in march he's 6'1". by december, he's 6'6", he ran out of room at the bank, under his mattress, and in the trunk to hide all his money, so he starts lining the bottom of his shoes with $100's

PLI1
10-30-2004, 07:33 PM
We rely the income from my business to cover most everything. My wife stays at home and does not work, therefore I need to cover health insurance as well. We're in our mid 30's live in a 550K log home on 5 acres that is more than half paid for, zero credit card debt, all vehicles and equipment are paid for except I owe 8K on my JD front end loader and have $ in the bank. I am invested heavily in stocks but I don't live off them at this point since I am building up a nest egg so I can hopefully retire at 55 best case scenario, 60 worst case. I have 5 employees and don't plan on growing much more. I am pretty much content where I'm at now. I have a freind with a Landscaping business and has 38 employees and does not pull in a whole lot more than I do, plus he has about 10 times the headaches and has spread himself out pretty thin.
I've been doing this full time for 4 years now. Before then I had a full time job and did landscaping on the side, but it got to the point where something had to give so I ditched my full time job. It was a nerve racking first year but I've never looked back. The most important thing I can say is it has taken lots of hard work and time to get here, but its been very rewarding. I started mowing lawns in 8th grade with a 21" lawn boy and a K-Mart weed eater. Since then I've always saved money and paid cash to buy new equipment except my tractor and a couple trucks, but I always put at least half down. I think it has helped me a lot not to get loaded down with debt. Probably my biggest regret is sometimes I don't stop to smell the roses.
I'm working on not laboring so hard in the fieldand spending more time on getting estimates out sooner and spending more time with family during the growing season. This is my goal for next year, well see how it goes.

Tonyr
10-30-2004, 07:33 PM
I could not support my family (wife, 2 daughters) with my biz.

I can bring in a good single income and pay many household utilities, mower lease etc, but we need wife's income to help, and give stability.

Btw, i'm just a solo opperator, large lawns/acreage, no landscaping etc, different industry over here.

If wife didn't work I'd have to go back driving bloody trucks! And that stuffs up my :drinkup: time! LOL!

But I do think husband and wife teams could do quite well from mowing alone, but wife needs to bring in $$$, not sit home watching oprah or dr phil while I work my butt off! LOL!

KenH
10-30-2004, 07:39 PM
The lawn biz. has been very good to me. In it for 21 years, wife is home, 2 kids, and I dont put in that many hours anymore. But I already did my time.

CathyLynn
10-30-2004, 08:24 PM
Have a plan--work hard---buy quality equipment--treat everything you do as a business--recognize the difference between wants and needs--have spending controls and yes you can have a nice life! Painters, carpenters, plumbers and the like all make a living--treat yourself and what you do professionally and you too will make a nice living! Aim high--there is a lot of good high quality work out there! The higher up you get in the residential market, the more loyalty (job security) you will encounter. We have ALWAYS lived off the residential side of the business, and always used the commercial stuff to immediately pay down debts, savings and so forth!

JustMowIt
10-30-2004, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=bobbygedd]how many people here, rely only on thier lawn business to support thier family. i mean, you know,kids, mortgage payment, health insurence, etc. and, wife stays home with the kids. tell me, i'm curious[/Q

Our business supports our entire family (myself, my wife, my dad, and my mother), but I would have to say that it would have been impossible working as a "1 truck operation". I would say to live well you will have to expand into more than 1 crew & "multiply" yourself. If every dollar that hits your bank account was physically made by you, then there are not enough hours in a day to make a living that will support an entire family.

Just my 2 cents, maybe we spend too much!!!! ;)

mmacsek
10-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Bobby,
My wife is my helper and we have 2 kids. They are both in Christian school. This is our only income. We have a mortgage and just bought a VW Passat GLX. Our health insurance covers catastrophes. We have a retirement plan that we fund. Also in the spring and summer we have 2 college kids working for us. We can't afford the country club but live very comfortable. Matt

Eric 1
10-30-2004, 11:14 PM
i know what u mean, the only one here that makes good money is rodfather. it's like, in march he's 6'1". by december, he's 6'6", he ran out of room at the bank, under his mattress, and in the trunk to hide all his money, so he starts lining the bottom of his shoes with $100's

lol. " Ran out of room at the bank", heck he IS the bank. :dizzy: :laugh:

I think he needs to start spreading it around. I will even take the smelly $100s from his shoes to do my part of relieving his foot pain.

LAWNS AND MOWER
10-30-2004, 11:41 PM
Good thought provoking thread Bobby!! I'm solo and support the wife and kids ( 2 boys 8 and 12). Been trying to get the wifey to get a real job, but it's like trying to raise the dead!! She subs at the elementary school and gets in quite a few days. When she got her last check, I asked her for some $$$. If you could only see the expression on her face!! Told her to use the $$ for groceries and etc... She has come to learn a new appreciation for money. Will I get rich doing this?? Probably not. Is my quality of life where I want it?? YES!!! I was amazed when I was drinking beers with a college professor buddy of mine, and learned I was making more then him, and he has his PHD. Health insurance premiums are $515/month, $1,200 deductible.

mtdman
10-31-2004, 12:38 AM
My wife works, but I wouldn't have it any other way. What the hell is she going to do at home all day, eat? I work, she works, and we have a nice life together. I make plenty of money doing this, but I don't know of too many couples around here where the wife doesn't work. That's the way of the world these days, double incomes are a necessary evil.

KenH
10-31-2004, 06:52 AM
My wife works, but I wouldn't have it any other way. What the hell is she going to do at home all day, eat? I work, she works, and we have a nice life together. I make plenty of money doing this, but I don't know of too many couples around here where the wife doesn't work. That's the way of the world these days, double incomes are a necessary evil.

Do you have any children???? Ages????

bobbygedd
10-31-2004, 07:33 AM
i'm glad to see so many people doing well. i don't know many with families, etc, that's why i asked. i too, am not interested in the country club. i don't want a million dollars. i just want my boat, pool, house, family and my time. i want something more valuable than money, i want time, and freedom, and now i got it. and i want what park says, " liberty= freedom from the control of others." you young guys will never appreciate this part of it, you really have nothing to compare it to.

mmacsek
10-31-2004, 07:50 AM
you young guys will never appreciate this part of it, you really have nothing to compare it to.[/QUOTE]
Well put Bob. As 20 years as a machinist I couldn't have said it better. Matt

mtdman
10-31-2004, 10:12 AM
Do you have any children???? Ages????

Why does that matter?

I don't, my wife does. The oldest is 21 and gone from the house, the youngest is 12. She goes to school all day, in the summer she's gone at her father's house. I came along after the formative years for both, but when they were younger my wife did not work. When I did start seeing her, that was one of my issues, her working. Especially since at the time I was just getting off the ground and not taking a large amount of profits for income, but rather reinvesting in the business. In a town like where we live, with a standard of living so high, there is no way we'd be able to afford standard things like a house (without wheels), etc. Trust me, we are no where near being rich or even well off, but we work hard and we manage to pull a nice income and live a nice life. The choices are just me working and having much less, her doing nothing all day, or we both work and have a nice life. We got the nice life.

And honestly, I can't imagine not working at least some sort of job. During the winter when I have so much free time, I go nuts without something to do. Why would anyone not want to work, when faced with the opposite?

DLCS
10-31-2004, 10:21 AM
My wife works full time, i don't think she would have it any other way. She has her career too. Yes, she does provide the medical insurance benefits for me. I suppose she could quit her job but the money helps fund the extras. I decided to quit my job and do lawn care full time a couple of years ago. I too liked the freedom and doing something I enjoy.

mtdman
10-31-2004, 10:40 AM
Something else to think about too. Most businesses don't turn a profit for several years. Most business owners don't draw a salary from that business at first, either. The smart thing to do is to reinvest in the business, help the business to grow. When you expect to draw a salary to support you and a family, pay benefits and health insurance for yourself, etc from the get go, you are going to shortchange the health of the business. I am glad I was able to reinvest in the business and not have to draw a salary at first. I don't know how I would have been able to grow if I was taking all the profits at once. I was part time for a while at first, worked another job, and I was single for the first few years as well. That helped me to not need the profits for myself. If the fact that my wife working helped me to keep the business healthy for the long term, I am more than fine with that.

musselman
10-31-2004, 11:43 AM
Started part time while I went to school, my wife with no kids at the time worked full time. I finished school got a "real job" teaching had a couple of kids. My wife stayed home with them. I couldnt make the bills...we were doing better as poor college students than the "real job" was giving with alot less hour worked. So I went full time and did vry well. Then more kids came one life flighted at birth (He is ok now) my retirement fund was gone and medical cost killing me. I went back to teaching...take care of medical cost (Im diabetic also) get my retirement if I last and have a great time working with kids and coaching wrestling. I also mow part time...I do have summers off and very busy spring and fall. This combination seems to work well for me and I am doing pretty good. Im able to save enough throuth the season to get me through the winter and some extra in the bank. Could be better but were happy.

The C Man
10-31-2004, 01:34 PM
I mentioned it before in another thread... if you need benefits and live near a UPS facility send the wife there. It's the most boring way to spend 3-4 hours, but the benefits package is quite good.

KenH
10-31-2004, 04:39 PM
Why does that matter?

Makes all the difference in the world.

mtdman
10-31-2004, 06:57 PM
Makes all the difference in the world.

You can say that again. It sure is a lot noiser and more stressful with them around.

KenH
11-01-2004, 07:02 AM
"What the hell is she going to do at home all day, eat? "

This is why I was asking about kids. My wife stays home with 2 and I can tell you if she even gets a chance to eat during the day, she is lucky....hehe. Id rather go to work than stay home with a 4 and 2 year old............it is less tiring.

WeatherMan
11-01-2004, 08:23 AM
I'm in my late 30's, Wife, 1 Girl and 3 Dogs. I started this biz when I was in college for the intent to grow it large and sell it to retire.

That was 16 years ago and guess what I retired last Freida, but my wife has never stayed home she is a plastic surgeon so we have always had good cash flow, and every thing I made from my biz went into investments.

We just bought a new home in Ilse of palms S.C. little over $600,000 bought with the money from the biz and profit from last home.

My life will consist of fishing, fishing and guess what more fishing from now on :cool2: