PDA

View Full Version : Freaking Meg-mos

rookiemower
10-30-2004, 07:51 PM
All right i take back eveything bad i ever said about megmos. :blush: Today i decided to swap my stock blades for the megmos which have been sitting all season. I used them last year for leaves and when i used them in the spring they just didnt seem to be working that good. Well today changed my opinion totally. i had one lawn that was very long 4-5", well they pulverized they grass into nothing. It seemed as though they work better with out the grass gobbler though. another great thing is they create so much suction for wet leaves. All i can say is i take back anything bad i ever said :drinkup: :cool2:

LB Landscaping
10-30-2004, 07:54 PM
Nice to see all the good Meg posts lately what are you using them on???

rookiemower
10-30-2004, 07:56 PM
on my Gravely 13 hp 36". another thing that might have made a difference is i sharpened them today as well. when they came they didnt seem all that sharp :)

John Gamba
10-31-2004, 06:50 AM
See!!!! Some Members here think i'm paid to say nice things about sponcers here.

Well if thats true then it sounds like alot of us are paid :drinkup: .

Have fun with the meggys!!!!!!!!!

John

65hoss
10-31-2004, 08:24 AM
I got a set of Meg Mo blades about a month ago. There are certain situations that regular blades would be better, but for the most part Meg Mo blades do just as advertised. I'm very happy with them. They destroy leaves and humiliate grass clippings.

When mowing some big properties with Dallisgrass, the Dallisgrass would always win. But the Meg Mo blades seem to be the only blades that will handle it.

I mulched up a leaf job the other day. 1 acre with about 40 trees. After I finished chopping them it looked like times when I had picked them up.

They do take some horsepower. They drop my rpm's in grass down 300-400 rpm but even then they cut twice as good as regular blades at full rpm.

John Gamba
10-31-2004, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE=65hoss]I got a set of Meg Mo blades about a month ago. There are certain situations that regular blades would be better, but for the most part Meg Mo blades do just as advertised. I'm very happy with them. They destroy leaves and humiliate grass clippings.

They do take some horsepower. They drop my rpm's in grass down 300-400 rpm but even then they cut twice as good as regular blades at full rpm.[/QUOT

Eric

Picture them on the new Hustler Diesel :)

John

John Gamba
10-31-2004, 08:51 AM
Has anybody had them in wet grass??

John

LB Landscaping
10-31-2004, 09:15 AM
What are you guys using to sharpen them and how easy are the to do???

stevesmowing
10-31-2004, 09:22 AM
anyone have them on a super z? For spring time how does single blades/double blades/meg-mos compare? How much are they for a 60" ztr?

John Gamba
10-31-2004, 09:24 AM
What are you guys using to sharpen them and how easy are the to do???

4" hand grinder. Easy.
John

gunputt
10-31-2004, 10:00 AM
Is this system lighter than a set of doubles?
John

J.Gordon
10-31-2004, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=65hoss]I got a set of Meg Mo blades about a month ago. There are certain situations that regular blades would be better, but for the most part Meg Mo blades do just as advertised. I'm very happy with them. They destroy leaves and humiliate grass clippings.

They do take some horsepower. They drop my rpm's in grass down 300-400 rpm but even then they cut twice as good as regular blades at full rpm.[/QUOT

Eric

Picture them on the new Hustler Diesel :)

John

Here John I added to your post!

Picture me with them on the new Hustler Diesel
Jeff :waving:

gl1200a
10-31-2004, 12:13 PM
I had great reservations about the Meg-Mo's with the price of them and some of the negative comments, but I finally ordered some to try and am I impressed! They pulverize leaves dramatically and cut grass to very minute particles. But they also dramatically increase the effect of my striping. Even with the use a striping kit, the addition of the Meg-Mo's make very precise stripes like I have never made before.

As far as doubles... they are lighter than doubles for sure and make less noise though more than stock blades. But, the problem I had with doubles on my Z-Trak is that use of double put the lower blade below the bottom lip of the deck so I had blowout all around the deck big time. With the Meg-Mo's you double your blades yet keep them up under the deck and the Meg-Mo's increase deck suction instead of causing blowout as with doubles.

And I'll tell you a very humbling experience I had with my first mowing job with them. I hit a cast iron water shut off valve in a yard that I knew was there until I had to go over it and was thinking of something else for that few seconds. Wham...the deck started shaking and I thought, 'Oh, great there goes about $63.00 for a new disc with four new blades'. I drove up on my trailer and looked underneath to find that only one of the blades had swung back behind the next's blades mounting bolt (as it was designed to do). I pryed it back into place and found only the most minute dent on one blade only. I started it back up and it runs great with no after effects what so ever.

I am impressed and will keep them.

Norm

Envy Lawn Service
10-31-2004, 12:57 PM
OK guys.... all this chopping... mulching... pulverizing....

w/mulch kit?
w/OCDC?
w/side discharge?

Oh, and has anyone put them on a Hustler period?

rookie03
10-31-2004, 01:02 PM
How often do they need sharpened? More so then factory OEM blades or less?

gl1200a
10-31-2004, 01:39 PM
I have a Masterchute OCDC that I use on a side discharge Z-Trak. I think I heard you can't use them with a mulch kit... at least I don't.

mrgreeninc
10-31-2004, 02:28 PM
Will they work on a Walker 48" GHS deck?

JR

John Gamba
10-31-2004, 04:32 PM
Will they work on a Walker 48" GHS deck?

JR

Call Roy at Meg-mo On your Question.
John

John Gamba
10-31-2004, 04:32 PM
Here John I added to your post!

Picture me with them on the new Hustler Diesel
Jeff :waving:

I have :cool2:
John

John Gamba
10-31-2004, 04:33 PM
OK guys.... all this chopping... mulching... pulverizing....

w/mulch kit?
w/OCDC?
w/side discharge?

Oh, and has anyone put them on a Hustler period?

Use them with the Advanced chute Blocker.
John

MOW ED
10-31-2004, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=65hoss]They destroy leaves and humiliate grass clippings.[QUOTE]

I have never seen a humiliated grass clipping but the thought of one makes me smile! :cool2:

Fareway Lawncare
10-31-2004, 05:28 PM
Sharpen them on a Magnamatic 8000....Balancing is another Trick Alltogether...& No This Doesn't Work.

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19756&stc=1

specialtylc
10-31-2004, 08:55 PM
Has anybody had them in wet grass??

John
I put a set on my Kubota ZD21 early this year. First time out was heavy dew and short grass, cutting off maybe 1.5 inches of growth. They did cut the grass into super fine clippings and nothing was hardly coming out the discharge. The problem was the grass was packing under the deck and then would drop huge clumps of crap behind the mower. After an hour of that I put the stock blades back on as they work better for me in the wet conditions. And I end up mowing wet grass 50% of the season. But in defense of the MEG Mos they probably work great in dry conditions.

John Gamba
11-01-2004, 06:11 AM
I put a set on my Kubota ZD21 early this year. First time out was heavy dew and short grass, cutting off maybe 1.5 inches of growth. They did cut the grass into super fine clippings and nothing was hardly coming out the discharge. The problem was the grass was packing under the deck and then would drop huge clumps of crap behind the mower. After an hour of that I put the stock blades back on as they work better for me in the wet conditions. And I end up mowing wet grass 50% of the season. But in defense of the MEG Mos they probably work great in dry conditions.

The reason i asked is they work great on the exmark decks in wet. Ive used them for about two seasons and have known roy about 10 years.
I was just seeing if anybody(like you) Have tryed them in wet. Sorry they didnt work for you.

John

John Gamba
11-01-2004, 06:13 AM
Sharpen them on a Magnamatic 8000....Balancing is another Trick Alltogether...& No This Doesn't Work.

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19756&stc=1

didnt you see how i used a plastic cone to balance the meg's?????? I lost the pic when the hard drive went down BUT i could do another.
John

John Gamba
11-01-2004, 06:15 AM

QUOTE]

Eric
Didnt you have them in wet grass and liked them??
John

65hoss
11-02-2004, 11:28 AM

QUOTE]

Eric
Didnt you have them in wet grass and liked them??
John
Yes, I cut my own lawn about 10-15 minutes after a heavy rain. The mower always clumps some in damp conditions. But this was WET conditions. They did awesome. I had 99% of all clumps gone. Had to make 1 extra pass down 1 area to eliminate all clumps. I was VERY impressed with them. I can see these blades being on the mower 10 out of 12 months.

Gravely_Man
11-02-2004, 11:43 AM
I for one would like to see some pictures from you real users of the Meg-Mo blades. Show us the non-clumped wet lawns that have been cut one time by this product. No I don't doubt you I just want to see.

Gravely_Man

65hoss
11-02-2004, 12:05 PM
I for one would like to see some pictures from you real users of the Meg-Mo blades. Show us the non-clumped wet lawns that have been cut one time by this product. No I don't doubt you I just want to see.

Gravely_Man
Actually I do think I took some pics the other day when I cut after the rain. I was impressed enough to take pics. I'll see about them when I get home later today.

kalyeah
11-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Who here uses the meg mo blades year round? If you don't when do you take them of and for what reason. I'm thinking of buying a set and really confused. I use an exmark 52". Have heard good and bad. Don't know what to do.

Gravely_Man
11-02-2004, 01:00 PM
65Hoss the pictures would be great. Please look them up and post them whenever you get the chance.

Gravely_Man

DLCS
11-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Who here uses the meg mo blades year round? If you don't when do you take them of and for what reason. I'm thinking of buying a set and really confused. I use an exmark 52". Have heard good and bad. Don't know what to do.

I use mine year round, wouldn't have it any other way. Wet or dry the cut is great. I've mowed 12 acres in the rain before and no clumps and no packing under the deck. Not to mention mowing dew soaked grass every morning without clumps.

Fareway Lawncare
11-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Will not use them in Wet Grass..They stick grass to the underside of the deck & Blow Clumps...Work Great in Dry & on Leaves..