PDA

View Full Version : When collecting money on old debts

ToroLover
10-31-2004, 12:55 AM
Do you send your wife to collect the money off of the deadbeat, or do you go yourself to get the money? I am just wondering cause I think in today's society it is unsafe to put your wife in a potential angry situation. Guys what are your thoughts?

HOOLIE
10-31-2004, 01:07 AM
You don't want to let old debts get too old. Best way to head this off is by having a policy that you enforce everytime. Like, if they are X days past due or whatever suits you, they get a friendly phone call, plus you suspend their service. If that doesn't work, don't mess around too long, a personal visit never hurts, or take them to court.

My wife wouldn't do it if I asked her to.

battags
10-31-2004, 01:09 AM
Are you kidding?!?!

It is much safer for me to go instead of my wife. Safer for the customer, that is!

If I let my wife go to collect, it might turn into a homicide investigation. My wife gets pretty pissed when payments arrive late! :angry:

Brian

gogetter
10-31-2004, 01:23 AM
Huh?! Why would you be sending your wife to collect debts in the first place???

impactlandscaping
10-31-2004, 02:13 AM
Here's my bill collector. When he can't collect , he just sings a crappy karaoke version of " Jailhouse Rock", until they give in and pay. If that fails, he just eats them...

bobbygedd
10-31-2004, 07:57 AM
hmmm, interesting. ok, because cancelling service, and collecting from a deadbeat, usually involves threats of involving the police, adding late fees, etc there are usually hard feelings involved. it is human nature to seek vengence, so i prefer not to put my self in a position to allow a FEMALE deadbeat to start making up false charges against me. this is our policy: if it is a male, i will personally go and collect. if it's a women, my wife goes. i do the negotiating, collection procedures, the wife will just pick up the money order. reason: at this point things tend to get a bit messy. i will not put myself in a position for a female to say i tried to rape her, or i touched her breasts, etc, that will end me in jail. quick story: a guy here got 18 months in prison for something very similar. being very persistant on a collection. the lady was a wacko, she said the guy tried to forcefully enter her house, and take out the debt in "trade". the guy was found guilty, sent to jail for 18 months. the girl (who i worked with) bragged openly about this,admitted to me she made the whole thing up cus the guy was "being a scumbag", and thought it was funny.

ToroLover
10-31-2004, 08:18 AM
So let me get this straight bobbygedd you think that a woman won't do something crazy if your wife is sent? Only a man can get mad and turn violent? The way to handle the situation you are talking about is to have TWO people go so one can be a witness, but sending your wife alone shows carelessness on your part.

bobbygedd
10-31-2004, 08:27 AM
torolover, it's not someone turning violent that scares me. if she wants to fight, i'll be happy to accomodate her. my fear is this sexual harrassment stuff. it's about the only "tool" a woman has. you are correct, 2 people should go. the collecter, and a nuetral party. where will i find a nuetral party? bottom line, if women weren't so evil, i'd have nothing to worry about. another scene, true story: a guy is going thru a divorce, stops at home tp pick up his cell phone. argument occurs, he doesn't touch her. she TAKES HER OWN FIST, and proceeds to PUNCH HERSELF in the face several times. calls police, man in handcuffs. no thanks. i don't mean to bust your bubble, but women in this world, aint nothing but trouble. my policy stands. anyhow, my wife needs to justify her exsistance somehow

PLI1
10-31-2004, 01:00 PM
Just info to anyone who may be interested, you can go to legaldocs.com and get a FREE demand for payment letter to send to customers that don't pay. I've used it and it has worked well. It's a good step before proceeding further.