PDA

View Full Version : where do i start?

cypresslawncare
10-31-2004, 01:26 PM
I have no clue about landscaping, I just mow yards, but people are asking me about landscaping. Where did you guys learn how to do all this stuff? I'm young and inexperienced!

Coffeecraver
10-31-2004, 02:24 PM
Lawnsite is a good start here is another

http://www.txnla.org/green_industry/certification.html

SodKing
10-31-2004, 04:08 PM
I have no clue about landscaping, I just mow yards, but people are asking me about landscaping. Where did you guys learn how to do all this stuff? I'm young and inexperienced!

Start with friends who want landscapes built, good clients. etc... do the project at a discount with their full understanding that you are new to this, any comments/critique would be appreciated. Follow the project up with a survey: do they like it, what could be better, etc..

I would suggest taking a simple landscape design course at your local community college. When I was in college I started out in engineering, did 2.5 years in civil engineering and was bored stiff. I discovered Plant biology/ biochemistry and found my calling. I mixed in a couple design courses and I was off and running. I started in pesticide applications and now my company is a full service landscape solutions company.

When we added irrigation, I approached my 10 top clients and told them that we were adding this service but we were new to it. Would they mind being Guinea pigs for a 50% discount? They all said yes and now we install about 10-20 systems per year.