PDA

View Full Version : Which attachments

jerome
10-31-2004, 07:21 PM
for your skid steer makes you the most money and which attachments is a must have.

UNISCAPER
10-31-2004, 09:42 PM
6 way power angle dozer blade. Forks, and tooth bucket. Then the vibratory roller, concrete breaker, and trencher.
The first three are the only ones we could not live without. The last three could easily be rented for the times we use them.

thepawnshop
10-31-2004, 11:53 PM
Is there any advantage to buying name brand attachments (Cat, John Deere, etc.), or are aftermarket attachments just as good....or better? Who are the best aftermarket suppliers of attachments in your opinion?

Dodgemania
11-01-2004, 12:50 PM
teeth for a bucket and harley rake to grade yards at 75 hour

TerraFirma Excavating
11-01-2004, 12:56 PM
teeth for a bucket and harley rake to grade yards at 75 hour

Raking in the $$$$ :p

I have to agree a tooth bucket is essential for any excavating. It will outperform a smooth edged bucket for digging undisturbed earth. I also feel forks are essential. You'll find so many uses for them, I can't imagine being without them.

My Brushcat attachment is awesome for clearing brush and small trees. I look forward to using this with a grapple/root rake next year in land clearing operations.

UNISCAPER
11-01-2004, 06:05 PM
After seeing several kinds of buckets, the Caterpillar buckets are made better. the teeth actually bolt to the straight cutting edge, so, if you wanted a straight pucket, all you would need to do is unbolt those teeth. Tooth bars are a grossly under engineered piece of equipment that continually gave me trouble. So, we went to a tooth bucket and will stay there. Now comparing the Bradco 6 way blade to Caterpillars, Bradco looks just as strong, and there is really no cost advantage. The trenching attachment, Cat is made far better than the Bradco, and has rock teeth from the factory. Forks are forks of you ask me. Most manufacturers know the abuse thier attachments get, so I think they many will do the jobs for you. The advantage to using Cat attachments are simple. When you buy the machine, we qualified for 0% financing. If we chose other brands of attachments, we would not have gotten 0%. Keep it simple, and then go to one source of you have trouble, unless of course something clearly exceeds anyone elses product.

Randy Scott
11-01-2004, 07:41 PM
for your skid steer makes you the most money and which attachments is a must have.

That solely depends on what services you offer. That will decide what makes you money.

We have standard and tooth buckets, harley power rake, forks, gear drive auger with 12" and 36" bits. Next item purchased will be a power broom and/or grapple bucket. Once the demand is there we'll add those items.

Dollar for dollar, I would say for us, the auger with the 36" bit makes us the most money.

ksss
11-03-2004, 01:44 AM
I also believe it depends on where your focus is in your business. For us the Preparator and concrete breaker make us good money. The grapple bucket is also very important. Regards to tooth buckets, I stated using a Reslo edge. It digs like a tooth bucket but backdrags like a smooth bucket. Best of both worlds. The only real issue is picking material off of asphalt. Have to watch so you don't stick the bucket in the asphalt.

Tigerotor77W
11-03-2004, 08:20 AM
I was always interested in seeing how that Rezloh would work out... is it a metallic material or rubber?

TerraFirma Excavating
11-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Here's the link to Rezloh (http://www.rezloh.com/). I just checked it out and it looks pretty neat. Doesn't look like it would have the penetration that standard bolt on teeth have, but may do a better job on backblading. I think it would be awesome for snowremoval, especially on the hardpack snow.

EngDave
11-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Good advice here. I couldn't agree more that your application will determine what attachments are important. We seem to have a good mix of applications on this board so the various opinions will reflect their use. For me, I'm in the dirt most of the time so I carry four attachments on my trailer most of the time, a tooth bucket, stiff arm hoe, grapple and forks. Sometimes I trade off the grapple and forks for an auger w/36" bit depending on what I'm doing. I don't consider my tracks an attachement but I definitely consider them invaluable for mud and slippery conditions.
Dave

Scag48
11-03-2004, 08:11 PM
I can't live without a combination bucket. They're so usefull that I couldn't imagine doing things any other way. The ability to grab odd sized objects easily is a big plus. Also, if you're moving a pile and you get down the last of it, it's tough to get that half of a load into the bucket. With a combo bucket, you split it open, drop it on the pile, then close. You get every last bit of it. Also, our forks and Cat T-9B trencher are must haves. Bradco trenchers aren't built nearly as heavy duty as Cat and the Cat units have hydraulic side shift that is very nice.