PDA

View Full Version : Leaf blowing

Keegan
11-01-2004, 08:54 AM
My first year doing fall cleanup. what do you guys find easier, blowing the leaves before you mow the grass or after mowing?

Thanks!

mastercare
11-01-2004, 11:11 AM
If you're picking them up with a bagger, blow the beds into the lawn first, and out of all corners/borders. That way your mower can pick everything up on the lawn. IF you're using bags/rakes/blowers/tarps, or something like that, then clean the leaves first, and the mower will chop up any straggling levaes you missed.

Pecker
11-01-2004, 11:15 AM
I just blow them off the street, walkways, and beds into the lawn. Then mulch them to smitherines (no more the 2 passes though) and it looks at if I had bagged.

work_it
11-01-2004, 11:29 AM
I just blow them off the street, walkways, and beds into the lawn. Then mulch them to smitherines (no more the 2 passes though) and it looks at if I had bagged.
That's fine if you only have a small amount of leaves on the ground, but anything more than that and the leaves should be removed. Mulching too many leaves and leaving them on the lawn can mess up the chemical ballance of the soil. Applying lime will help to neutralize the acid in the leaves but I haven't found it to be 100% effective. Not only that but too many mulched leaves can build up at the soils surface and create a barrier which will choke out any new grass growth.

Runner
11-01-2004, 02:30 PM
I find that if you are moving them by air, it is well worth it to mow first. This does two things. First it mulches them a bit for better compaction in loading, but most importantly, it shuffles them up to the top for easier moving. When you blow them first, there are just two many of them that stay tangled and/or matted in the grass. They just move so much easier and cleaner after being mowed.

work_it
11-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Good point runner. Also helps to go over them once if you're having a problem with wind catching the leaves and making more of a mess than you began with. Had that problem last week where the wind direction kept changing on me. Went over them with the mower once, and then was able to blow them into neat piles. Go over them a second time with a bagger attached to pick up the piles. Then anything I can't pick up with the mower I rake onto a tarp.

Kelly's Landscaping
11-02-2004, 12:24 AM
Height of the grass is the deciding factor if its say 2-4 inches Ill start the clean up and blow off the lawn and do the final cut at the end. If the lawn is much taller then you need to cut it first. Sometimes your get the cheapskates that call you for a one time clean up and you find the lawn is 12 inches long on its side and entangled with leaves that requires mowing first.

HOOLIE
11-02-2004, 12:32 AM
For the customers with a lot of trees, usually the first week they fall I can mow & bag, after that I have to deal with the leaves first. Thankfully around here you don't have to haul any away. Either blow them to the curb, bag them (not fun) or drag into woods.

I can't imagine how many times I'd have to run over a lawn to mulch the leaves into nothing, unless there were just a smattering of leaves.

chefdrp
11-02-2004, 09:54 AM
for me it depends on how many leaves are there. If alot, i would blow them off then mow. Small amount i would mow then put on the catcher and mow again.