PDA

View Full Version : Who can do this? Tulip Bed

twins_lawn_care
11-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Anyways, I was asked to make a tulip bed, and this would be my first.

I was looking for any advice to proper ways of doing it, time of year, and any tips you may have. It's going to be a 6' diameter half circle shape.

Basically, I am wondering how deep to plant, what kind of bulbs, any fertilizer, mulch, etc you have had luck with. I don't just want to dig a nice patch of dirt, plop in some bulbs, and collect the money if there is more to it than that.

Thanks for any help or suggestions. I'm getting close to being done for the year, and want to wrap this one up before I start to hibernate!

PLI1
11-01-2004, 04:35 PM
I get my bulbs from Netherland Bulb Co. in Mc Phadden Pa. Top size bulbs are 12 cm+ in circumfrance. We plant them 4-6 inches OC. We use a gas drill and plant 6-8" deep and add a little bulb booster fertilizer. For small areas, you can excavate the whole area 6-8" deep, spread out the bulbs and then put the soil back over the top of the bulbs. Only one thing though, it's getting somewhat late to be buying bulbs so you may have to settle for whats left vs. exacly what you want. Be sure to explain this to your customer. Generally we charge $1.25 per bulb planted. Hope this info helps.

twins_lawn_care
11-01-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the help PLI1, I figured this should be done asap, and I was thinking along the same lines as you described. I will have to look locally for the bulbs being late, but wanted to get in before the ground gets cold.
Thanks again!

PLI1
11-02-2004, 07:07 PM
If wholesale distributers have run dry, you can always try Home Cheapo, Menards, Lowes ect. Not by all means the first choice but it's better than nothing. Good luck!

GrazerZ
11-02-2004, 09:27 PM
Go to Van engllen on the web for wholesale. Awesome tulip bulbs!! they will tell you anything you want to know about tulips

tiedeman
11-03-2004, 02:09 AM
go to www.bulb.com

Some useful information here