PDA

View Full Version : is it OK to interchange brands?

TClawn
11-01-2004, 01:16 PM
I went to change out a solenoid at a customers property only to find out that they don't make that kind of solenoid for that zone anymore. so I looked around for another that would fit, and a toro solenoid fit perfectly. Is OK for me to use the toro solenoid on the wheathermatic or should I just bite the bullet and change out the valve?

aquamtic
11-01-2004, 03:55 PM
It might fit, but does it work????

activelandscaping
11-01-2004, 04:16 PM
If it work's then yes, if it doesn't then no. They make " universal solenoids " for almost every out of date valve. Check your local JD Landscape to find a universal replacement, if your's doesn't operate properly. :)

Regards,
Active

jerryrwm
11-01-2004, 06:34 PM
What type of Weathermatic valve is it?

For more than 30 years, Weathermatic has used one thread pattern, and basically only two solenoids for all their valves from the brass 8000 series, brass 7000 series, Plastic 11000, 21000, and 12000 series. The square M series solenoid or the round S series solenoids all interchange. And they are still available in abundance.

As for a Toro solenoid fitting into a Weathrematic valve, I would be suspect. It will probably not function properly over the exhaust port. Electrically it will work - pull the plunger up and down, but it probably will not mechanically work.

Check with your supply house - they should have a Weathermatic solenoid. Tell them you want an M24E solenoid - but hold onto your wallet they are expensive!! Best thing to do is buy a 12000 series valve, take the solenoid off and throw the rest away. It will save you about $4.00.

Jerry

TClawn
11-02-2004, 03:55 AM
I ended up taking out the valve and replacing it with a new one.

their is only one wheather matic supply store here. they only carry on type solenoid, and it doesn't fit. the thing I can't understand if why they woudn't carry them. it's a fairly new system (a little over two years). next time I see them with the same valves that were installed on this system I'm gona' buy me a case or two.

jerryrwm
11-02-2004, 10:31 AM
TC,

Could you tell us a little about that valve you replaced? I am thinking you may have had another make of valve that utilizes the bleed lever under the solenoid like W*M developed. Two that come to mind are Buckner and Watermaster. There is another one or two that also use that design but I can't recall the name.

It it was one of those two, the Toro solenoid would probably screw onto the valve.

Just curious as to what kind of valve it was.

Jerry

TClawn
11-03-2004, 07:34 PM
I'll find out for sure this thursday.

YardPro
11-11-2004, 08:53 AM
if you plan on doing alot of irrigation work, it is a good idea to order a few of the universal solenoids and have them on hand.