PDA

View Full Version : keep her or cancel?

bobbygedd
11-01-2004, 03:01 PM
i was servicing my clients property. cutting the grass, spraying weeds around curb/walkway, putting down granular fert + weed control. the lady across the street came over, asked for service. i don't keep contracts with me, but i know i should. she wanted an evaluation, mowing, etc. i verbally explained to her what we are going to do. cut weekly, put down (at that point in the season it was getting late) 2 weed apps, and 2 ferts, as well as spot spray with selective, and spray curbs etc with non selective. i told her the prices, payment terms, and she would be getting a contract in the mail that needed to be signed, and mailed back asap with her first payment. she said fine to everything. i was there, so i mowed, sprayed, applied fert+ herb. now, in new jersey, you cannot apply without a signed consent form, and pre notification of application dates, and products to be used. i did it anyhow. sent contract, first payment came in right on time. no contract in envelope. i continued, sent next months bill, with a note, "please enclose contract", payment came on time, but still no contract. i can't get her on the phone, or when i knock. the payments keep comming, but she will not send the signed contract back. in new jersey it is illegal to apply without the signed form. would you continue or cancel?

LCME
11-01-2004, 03:12 PM
You have answered your own question. Cancel until the agreement is signed then continue service. Or, stop service but continue billing until you recieve the signed agreement.

Runner
11-01-2004, 03:21 PM
If the payments keep coming, I wouldn't sweat it on the mowing and such, or even the fert., but I would hold off on any pesticides until you get a signed service agreement. You never get an answer on the phone? There is no machine or anything? If you can't then just leave a note to her about it again.

Gravely_Man
11-01-2004, 03:35 PM
I would be cautious on doing anything outside of the law. I would possibly continue to do the mowing and such but no chemicals without the signed contract. I wouldn’t want to risk anything with my business if I knew it was illegal.

Gravely_Man

statman
11-01-2004, 04:22 PM
Add a "no-contract" surcharge.

Duramax99
11-01-2004, 04:28 PM
Bobby,

In New York a signature on a check is good enough for the NY State DEC to see that you got the approval to do the lawn applications.

bobbygedd
11-01-2004, 04:35 PM
not here dua, i got a written warning last time i had an inspection. they went thru my files, found one with no signature, and wrote me a warning. next time it's a fine

Norm Al
11-01-2004, 04:49 PM
why wouldnt you explain to her that it is illegal for you to continue without a contract and that you will have to have it on file prior to the next aplication,,,,,,which is a ways off!

JustMowIt
11-01-2004, 05:00 PM
i was servicing my clients property. cutting the grass, spraying weeds around curb/walkway, putting down granular fert + weed control. the lady across the street came over, asked for service. i don't keep contracts with me, but i know i should. she wanted an evaluation, mowing, etc. i verbally explained to her what we are going to do. cut weekly, put down (at that point in the season it was getting late) 2 weed apps, and 2 ferts, as well as spot spray with selective, and spray curbs etc with non selective. i told her the prices, payment terms, and she would be getting a contract in the mail that needed to be signed, and mailed back asap with her first payment. she said fine to everything. i was there, so i mowed, sprayed, applied fert+ herb. now, in new jersey, you cannot apply without a signed consent form, and pre notification of application dates, and products to be used. i did it anyhow. sent contract, first payment came in right on time. no contract in envelope. i continued, sent next months bill, with a note, "please enclose contract", payment came on time, but still no contract. i can't get her on the phone, or when i knock. the payments keep comming, but she will not send the signed contract back. in new jersey it is illegal to apply without the signed form. would you continue or cancel?

I would mail her a letter that explains that you are obligated by law to have a signed contract, and that you will have to stop service until you have a signed contract on file. This should bring her out of the woods, sure makes you wonder why? she will not sign the contract?

bobbygedd
11-01-2004, 05:04 PM
i've sent notes, and left messeges on her machine with this info. bizarre to say the least. i get paid in full on time, like clockwork, but she wont send the contract. weird

riches139
11-01-2004, 05:53 PM
She might want to make a copy of the contract, but just hasn't got around to it yet. :rolleyes:

Ol'time Lawncare
11-01-2004, 06:17 PM
I think if payment is on time every time then continue service.I my-self had a customer not sign a lawn care contract and she never missed a payment, till one day she beat me on 20 bucks,lol, only once. But i wouldn,t be spraying anything without a contract! payup

mikesturf
11-19-2004, 07:24 PM
Obviously this customer is bothering you and giving you a bad vibes. You seem very concerned about getting fined because of no signed contract. Do you need that additional stress in your life? Listen to your gut feeling and go with it.

Expert Lawns
11-19-2004, 07:31 PM
wouldn't the bobby thing to do be to send her a copy that says "sign here or die"