PDA

View Full Version : Over Rated Mwers

chief5139
11-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Ok now evreyone step back and take a breath cause i'm probly going to strike a nerve of someone. I was just wondering what evreyones opinion was on if there is some over rated mowers out there. First name that comes to mind for me is John Deere. Is it realy worth it? And I don't mean just Deere just wich ones do you think are over rated? anyways anxious to see what you thinks :blob3:

DLCS
11-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Snapper is the first one to come to my mind.

PLI1
11-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Don't want to mention any names because they are a sponsor to this site, but they are green and the name is 6 letters long. JMO

sodzilla
11-01-2004, 04:29 PM
I agree with you on John Deere. I live in town that is 6 miles away from one of their factories the makes mowers. Alot of the people that live here work at the factory. I'm the only LCO in the area that doesn't have a Deere. The lawns mowed with Deere are not striped and always have clumps of grass. Lets just say my Hustler puts them to shame.

chief5139
11-01-2004, 05:08 PM
not to be rude but snapper residential equipment is right in line with the compitition. now snapper commercial equipment is priced under the competition. by quite a bit but everyone has there opinion

bushtrimmer
11-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Ok now evreyone step back and take a breath cause i'm probly going to strike a nerve of someone. I was just wondering what evreyones opinion was on if there is some over rated mowers out there. First name that comes to mind for me is John Deere. Is it realy worth it? And I don't mean just Deere just wich ones do you think are over rated? anyways anxious to see what you thinks :blob3:

JD HD45, biggest piece of cr$# I've ever had. Homeowner quality stamped deck and hydro's have never worked well for me either. Switched to a couple of scags, now run nothing but Exmark.

orangejbird
11-01-2004, 05:14 PM
https://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=820430&mode=linear&highlight=snapper#post820430

Can't figure out people dis'n Snappers all the time.
They just don't have the numbers out there, but make a quality "commercial" machine.

BCSteel
11-01-2004, 06:03 PM
I have limited experience with different brands but so far its JD that wins the POS award.

rodfather
11-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Scag...overated AND overpriced.

chief5139
11-01-2004, 06:23 PM
another one and i probly going to be hit by lightning i think exmark is over priced and alot of my commercial guys who use them say that

rodfather
11-01-2004, 06:26 PM
Someone better shut this thread down real quick...sh*t is gonna hit the fan any second now.

Itsgottobegreen
11-01-2004, 06:50 PM
I would say its red in color, 7 letters in the name and starts with a G. I hate them more than anything. Then JD (unless it was built before 1992) and then GD.

1MajorTom
11-01-2004, 06:51 PM
The BIASED DEALER OPINION is going to stop. If you sell it, keep it to yourself, cause of course you are going to say you like the brand you sell best.

accuratelawn
11-01-2004, 06:58 PM
Exmark is over priced. Yes they are great mowers and I still own two. I recently purchased a Super Z. Bigger engine and 72 inch deck for less money than a 60 inch Lazer.
The Hustler has worked out well so far (only 60 hours). Speed, hill stability, and ease of operation are a plus for the Hustler.

chief5139
11-01-2004, 06:58 PM
The BIASED DEALER OPINION is going to stop. If you sell it, keep it to yourself, cause of course you are going to say you like the brand you sell best.
were not taking about dealers were talking about mowers

martyman
11-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Ferris is really big here but the quality has gone way down and the price is too high.

1MajorTom
11-01-2004, 07:03 PM
were not taking about dealers were talking about mowers

Yeah in the process cutting down mowers that you don't sell!!!

Your Quote: another one and i probly going to be hit by lightning i think exmark is over priced and alot of my commercial guys who use them say that

and then plugging the mower that you sell!!!

Your Quote: not to be rude but snapper residential equipment is right in line with the compitition. now snapper commercial equipment is priced under the competition. by quite a bit but everyone has there opinion

Fareway Lawncare
11-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Why does Everyone Cry..Boo Hoo, When their Customers look for a Better Price on Lawn Service...& then Spend Half their Life Looking for the Cheapest possible deal on equipment....When it's all a tax Write off No Less...

Hypocrites.

lampeslawnservice
11-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Deere definitly, overpriced. Hustler works for me

sidebuz
11-01-2004, 08:29 PM
I'm not an expert like some you guys. But from what I saw and priced the last time I brought a mower, overated 1# John Deere 2# Snapper (had one, was cheaper in price, but it killed me repairs) I brought a kubota ZD21. Used it for three years (475 hrs). Only time it is in the shop is for basic main. (oil change, blades sharpen, etc.). But that is just my .02 cents.

Travis Followell
11-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Red and gray in color, 6 letters and a sponsor of this site. They are very overrated and very over priced. Not saying they are bad mowers though.

Tvov
11-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Then JD (unless it was built before 1992)

Exactly. I still run my two JD belt drives, one is a 48" 1987 and the other a 1988 36", both with Kawasaki 12.5 hp engines. Absolute tanks, much better cut then most new mowers, but slower. They have "lift disks" along with the blades, anyone else here remember those?

It's funny when people talk about prices. My JDs were just under $3500.00 each when I bought them new. :dizzy: But, of course, they are still running great.

To me, the walkbehinds today are dirt cheap!

I've used JD, Bobcat, Exmark, Ferris, demoed a few others. They all seemed to work fine. They all have differences, and when someone says a mower is no good it is usually because it has some feature they don't like, which makes them think the whole machine is no good.

What exactly is the point of this thread???

Lawnworks
11-01-2004, 08:56 PM
I am surprise somebody hasnt said Walker yet. I definately agree w/ the Deere thing. Everybody and their mom wears Deere apparel and alot of their equipment is not exactly superior.

Eric 1
11-01-2004, 09:00 PM

To give the guy (dealer) who started it an idea of what we like to buy/use.He is probably thinking of taking on a new brand and wants to get the feal of what is hot(or not) right now.

But i could be wrong.

GreenMonster
11-01-2004, 09:32 PM

Too piss people off, I think. Let me give it a try.

By far the most overrated mowers are, in no particular order

Exmark, Ferris, Wright, Scag, Dixie, Grasshopper, Deere, Bob-Cat, Walker, and Toro.

Did I forget anybody?

Avery
11-01-2004, 09:32 PM
I am surprise somebody hasnt said Walker yet. I definately agree w/ the Deere thing. Everybody and their mom wears Deere apparel and alot of their equipment is not exactly superior.
Because I have restrained from posting in this thread. It serves no use. Everyone has their own opinion about equipment and what works best for them. :)

GreenMonster
11-01-2004, 09:33 PM
I'm sorry. I forgot the sponsors too.

Hustler and Gravely are overrated. Then there's Lesco. They're just plain junk.

:rolleyes:

Of course, all I've used are Grasshopper, Deere and Bob-Cat. I've been happy with all of them, although each have their problems as well.

Up North
11-01-2004, 09:40 PM

Don't see how that can be possible. My Snapper Fastback Pro ZTR was one of the best machines I demo'd. I demo'd JD, Dixie Chopper, Hustler, Exmark and Snapper. I liked the Exmark and the Hustler, but kept going back to the Snapper. Finally put it in my trailer and would go right back and put another one in there in a heart beat, love it. It was about $500-1500 less then the others to boot.

Sure, I know everyone has their favorites, but just don't see how Snapper can be considered "overrated". In fact I don't know if any particular machine is "overrated", some may be priced a little bit "out there", but like they say..."beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Buck

DLCS
11-01-2004, 09:46 PM
Don't see how that can be possible. My Snapper Fastback Pro ZTR was one of the best machines I demo'd. I demo'd JD, Dixie Chopper, Hustler, Exmark and Snapper. I liked the Exmark and the Hustler, but kept going back to the Snapper. Finally put it in my trailer and would go right back and put another one in there in a heart beat, love it. It was about $500-1500 less then the others to boot.

Sure, I know everyone has their favorites, but just don't see how Snapper can be considered "overrated". In fact I don't know if any particular machine is "overrated", some may be priced a little bit "out there", but like they say..."beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Buck

lmao, when chief started this thread his signature line said "Snapper the other red mower" thats why I made the comment about Snapper. Chief is a Snapper dealer and started this thread to piss people off. He has since now removed his signature line. lol

rodfather
11-01-2004, 09:51 PM
This thread went absolutely nowhere...as I expected.

Eric 1
11-01-2004, 09:55 PM
Gotta love the Greenmonster. he don't give a crap.

p.s. Green, I think you forgot husky, snapper, great dane, kobota, cub, and several others that are not worth typing. :)

Smalltimer1
11-01-2004, 09:57 PM
I have limited experience with different brands but so far its JD that wins the POS award.

You must not have used one with the 7-iron deck.

Up North
11-01-2004, 09:59 PM
lmao, when chief started this thread his signature line said "Snapper the other red mower" thats why I made the comment about Snapper. Chief is a Snapper dealer and started this thread to piss people off. He has since now removed his signature line. lol

Well then WTF? Why don't they just remove him for pulling crap like that? No hard feelings DLCS, I see where you're coming from.

Buck

GreenMonster
11-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Gotta love the Greenmonster. he don't give a crap.

p.s. Green, I think you forgot husky, snapper, great dane, kobota, cub, and several others that are not worth typing. :)

Yeah, I thought of those to. They're so lousy, they ain't even worth mentioning. Husky, they make chainsaws, snapper is homeowner junk, great dane has been bought out by Deere, and everyone has already told us that Deere is no good, Kubota makes tractors, and cub is the same as those lousy Lesco tanks. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Can we close this thread? Otherwise, I'll be compelled to continuously update with smart ass replies.

Smalltimer1
11-01-2004, 10:19 PM
People just say John Deere's are overrated because they don't like them.

I have had and/or used numerous John Deere equipment over the past 5 or 6 years (since I've been old and large enough to run them) and the only problems I've had is with engine issues, such as carburetor tuning and stuff like that.

I can understand if anyone uses the old style decks from the 60's-70's, they rusted out pretty bad. I've used everything from a 1969 JD 140 to a 1976 JD 4230 Quad Range Diesel to a 2003 JD 4200 hydrostatic 4x4 and the overall machine is down right awesome--even the old stuff. It's the accessories and add ons that trouble arises from in conjunction with improper PM procedures.

GreenMonster
11-01-2004, 10:25 PM
People just say John Deere's are overrated because they don't like them.

I think that's true. I'm not sure why.

I bought a stander late this year. I got a good price, and I'm real happy with the machine. I think the 7 Iron cuts beautifully. Doesn't stripe worth a sh!t -- so what -- hang some chains and giddy up. This deck has unbelievable discharge. Better than my Grasshopper or Bob-Cat. My dealer is real good to me. I've gotten Little Wonder and Redmax stuff from him too.

mkwl
11-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Don't want to mention any names because they are a sponsor to this site, but they are green and the name is 6 letters long. JMO

It is obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about because Bob-Cat mowers are far superior to all other brands and they are NOT at all over rated.

dvmcmrhp52
11-01-2004, 11:03 PM
As with everything in life, you get what you pay for.
If you pay too much for something it is only your own fault.
I see pricing on here of people that say the bought an exmark and I've got to laugh..............So is the dealer because they caught another fish.............
If the guys that use them say they are over priced,tell me just one more time WHY they are using them??????????
Because they WORK.

another one and i probly going to be hit by lightning i think exmark is over priced and alot of my commercial guys who use them say that

dvmcmrhp52
11-01-2004, 11:07 PM
People Dis'n snappers because the fact is they just DON'T compare.
I got quite the laugh out of a snapper dealer telling me all about his machine while showing me why I DON'T own any.

https://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=820430&mode=linear&highlight=snapper#post820430

Can't figure out people dis'n Snappers all the time.
They just don't have the numbers out there, but make a quality "commercial" machine.

cantoo
11-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Currently I have 2 Walkers, 1 toro wbh, 1 yazoo front, 1 ransomes (steiner clone)front, 1 ransomes bobcat mid, 1 ransomes front, 1 MTD Pro Z mid, 1 John Deere 935 front, 1 steiner front, bunton reel, ransomes electric reel, 1 Ford compact tractor with 6' rear, I think that's about it.

PS the rest are crap. At least until I buy one anyway.

Up North
11-01-2004, 11:48 PM
People Dis'n snappers because the fact is they just DON'T compare.
I got quite the laugh out of a snapper dealer telling me all about his machine while showing me why I DON'T own any.

Don't just look at it, demo it.

Buck

Tvov
11-02-2004, 08:37 AM
Okay, this thread is getting funny now!

Eric 1
11-02-2004, 09:38 AM
PS the rest are crap. At least until I buy one anyway.

And that is the attitude most people have........Funny aint it? :rolleyes:

You guys trying to defend your perfect mower need to relax, you just egg us on. And come on, its just fun.

65hoss
11-02-2004, 12:14 PM
I feel completely stupid now for actually reading this thread.

orangejbird
11-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Snapper wins cause they really never were rated. Being they're maligned all the time makes anything GOOD said about them overrated more than any other machine, so that makes them the most overrated. blah blah blah

END OF THREAD?!?! :dizzy: :pumpkin:

chief5139
11-03-2004, 01:50 PM
well I didn't relize that when i posted this thread it would go to this. I would like tio defend my self in saying that i am not looking for a new brand. I am doing very well with my brands. My sig was taking off by the administer. and the whole reason I started this thread was to start conversation. I never thought it would have escalated to this point. I didn't mean to tick anyone off thats is the last thing on my mind. so lets all calm down have a :drinkup: and laugh about what was said and move on.

thanks Brad

phreak99
11-03-2004, 04:21 PM

half of the mower companies that are sponsors have six letters in there name ie: bad boy, exmark, bob cat

CathyLynn
11-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Just for the record, the list price and suggested selling price of Scag, Bobcat, Bunton, and Exmark has Scag at the low end of these 4 major players, as of this weeks current listings.

Over rated is always a matter of personal choice. That's whats great about this country-personal choices.