PDA

View Full Version : I feel Guilty (Dealer Support)

Husky03
11-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Alright, I live about 5 minutes form a Gravely dealer. I bought my edger from them and they are pretty nice guys. It takes them about a day longer to get things fixed verses the other dealers in my area, but I am small so it is not a huge problem for me. I went to them first to get my Gravley 34Z and they told me the price was $4078 plus $150 for shipping. They had a floor model for $3500 with obviously no shipping fee. I wanted to go with a new one, but I was undecided. Anyways, being that they are kind of slow I decided to check out another Gravely dealer. The next closest place was about 30 minutes away. I drove out to see the guy and he was a great guy. He was very informative and he even told me he could help me out with some problems with my trailer. He told me he could get me a new one from another dealer for $4000 even with no shipping charge. I was very interested. He told me he would have to do some checking and give me a call back on Wednesday. Today is Monday and I decided to go out once more and check out the 34Z at my local dealer 5 minutes away. Come to find out they cleaned it up and got the little surface rust off and it looks almsot brand new. Only 1 1/2 hours on it. The reason it had rust on it was because it had been stored outside sometimes. I decided I wanted it. They are delivering it to my door in a few days. I feel bad about the other dealer now. Should I call him back and tell him what happened or what? I am sure I am not the first person to do this and afterall that is his job. I feel like a real ASS calling him back to break the news, :blush: but I feel bad not telling him something and having him calling me. What would you do??? ;)
After all that do you think I got a good deal for $3500 delivered? I know that I am very excited :blob3:

Thanks...

lawnprosteveo
11-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Business is business. It was nothing personal. A business person (the other dealer) should have been quicker to get back with you. How many times have I heard a guy say he lost a job because he took too long to go bid it and another guy swooped in and took the business.

Husky03
11-01-2004, 06:45 PM
He asked me if it was an emergency and I told him no. I would have felt stupid saying he needed to find out right away with it being the end of the year. I talked to him on Friday so I can't justify this as being my reason for changing my mind. It has only been 2 work days. I get excited and just can't help myself :p

Thanks...

twwlawn
11-01-2004, 06:46 PM
I would not be bothered by that. Business is Business and don't let personal thoughts get in the way. Your after the best deal you can get. I got a 34Z also. Congrats to ya.

martyman
11-01-2004, 06:51 PM
I agree, don't feel bad. I love my 34Z!! not a problem and cuts my time way down..

CathyLynn
11-01-2004, 07:07 PM
1) you got a good price and you seem happy

2) you bought from the dealer closest to you--in time that may be worth a lot.

3) From the dealers side--if we took this real personal we would be in counseling all the time. We give lots of quotes, are real nice people but still do not close 100% of sales(not hardly!!)

4) everyone else here is right--business is business!

Husky03
11-01-2004, 07:12 PM
You guys are making me feel much better. What should I do when he calls?

Pecker
11-01-2004, 07:24 PM
If he's waiting till Wednesday, its obviously not that important to him. He may not even call anyhow. Don't call him, it's his turn to call. If he does, just tell him thanks for all his help and time, but you stopped in for supplies at your local dealer and came across deal you just couldn't pass up. He'll understand. . .and if he doesn't. . .oh well - snooze ya loose.

Pecker
11-01-2004, 07:34 PM
By the way, there's no way I'd pay a dealer for shipping on a mower. If MSRP is $3999, then I'd expect to pay no more than $3999 plus tax. I know and respect that they need their profit so I've not been one to haggle with my local dealer. But anything over MSRP is a screwing. :dizzy: