PDA

View Full Version : mower lights?

stevesmowing
11-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Since its Dark earlier anyone using headlights on the mowers? Sunset today was about 5:05 and I didn't stop mowing until 5:45 trying to get stuff cut b4 the rain tomorrow. Anyone know of a light kit for the super z?

shepoutside
11-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Yes, we run the walker light option on ours. Not sure about yours. Have made up light brackets for other, and used fog style lights.

lawnkid
11-01-2004, 08:47 PM
I'm sure you could rig something up together with a battery and two lights somewhat like what Frankenscagmachines did to his Scag back a while ago. I ust demoed a Walker again this weekend to se if I was gonna mke the leap and buy one and it had lights on it so I as mowing 2 hours past dark on some days.They ere very bright. I was looking into the 2005 Scag catalog and they are offering lights on their riders now. When I purchase my Wildcat in the Spring, I would like to put the lights on it.

stevesmowing
11-01-2004, 10:06 PM
how do I make sure if I put lights on it won't draw current faster than it can charge? Anyone have pics of their set-ups?

mrgreeninc
11-01-2004, 10:20 PM
I am currently running lights on my Walker. It has the Kohler EFI and it still produces plenty of power to run my lights. All mowers should be able to run at least two headlights. Just run the wires to your battery and mount them where you want and it should work fine.

JR

ALarsh
11-01-2004, 10:25 PM
how do I make sure if I put lights on it won't draw current faster than it can charge? Anyone have pics of their set-ups?

It should be fine, but you will know once you start killing batts once a week. ;) Try not to get the most powerful, or most power drawing lights, get some smaller ones and you shouldn't have a problem.

The LawnSmith
11-01-2004, 10:34 PM
You can mount just about any light kit with a toggle switch that runs from your battery. They dont eat that much power, your mower should be able to provide enough power for them as long as you keep the engine running while the lights are on. I bought a headmounted "miner" type light last week that runs on 4 AA batteries just in case I need it for trimming after sunset. I used it once, and it worked great. Here in Alabama the grass is still growing fairly well and you have to improvise to make up for the lost hour.

Mike

stevesmowing
11-01-2004, 10:36 PM
do you guys leave them on all the time or just put them on for night mowings? Do you tie them into the ignition key switch or not?

JHLC
11-01-2004, 11:03 PM
I just checked my Kohler repair manual. It says that the 25hp engines have a 25 amp charging system. If you keep your lights under 15 or 20 amps you should be fine.

Runner
11-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Mine is run directly to the battery. You can get these floodlight style tractor lights at your TSC store. (or Quality Farm & Fleet). You DO want to run a fuse between the switch and the batt., though. I made the bracket myself, and many people ask me where I got it because they think it's factory. Here's a pic in my post on this thread.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=76622&page=1&highlight=light

Mowingman
11-01-2004, 11:15 PM
I used to add two lights to all my ZTR's. I just used a couple of tractor lights I could buy at Tractor Supply, or some other tractor equipment store. I would run one wire from the positive battery terminal to a toggle switch, then a wire from there to each light. Lights were grounded by bolting them to the mower somewhere. These mowers got used a lot with the lights on, and I never ran a battery down. I was running 22, 23, or 25hp Kohler engines on these machines.
Now, all my machines are Grasshoppers, and you can buy light kits for them from Grasshopper.

CathyLynn
11-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Yes--everyone remember to use an inline fuse--especially with the EFi engines! NAPA has a good set for about 50$ that even have covers, are not real big but sure light up your work area!

PLI1
11-02-2004, 07:50 PM
One thing I've learned is to mount them in a sheltered place where they cant get banged up. I learned this one the hard way.

impactlandscaping
11-02-2004, 09:13 PM
I was just discussing this with my step-dad tonight. We went out to do a leaf cleanup at my parent's house at 5PM, and didn't finish until after 6PM, in the dark. Floodlights and street light helped some, but I am going to Wal Mart tomorrow and getting two sets of driving lights for our Standers, and mounting them tomorrow. 1 extra hour a day times five days times two men is ten extra billable hours each week for mowing and leaf removal.....

proenterprises
11-02-2004, 10:05 PM
I just installed a set of fog/driving lights on my truck. I got them from Wal-Mart for $15.00, they are 55 watts and called "pro burner series". I would get them and wire them right on to your machine, its very easy. They come with an illuminated rocker switch so you can turn them on when you need them. They should be fine and not kill the battery.

fixer67
11-02-2004, 10:41 PM
I just checked my Kohler repair manual. It says that the 25hp engines have a 25 amp charging system. If you keep your lights under 15 or 20 amps you should be fine.

Most lights will state there output in Watts not amps so just remember the formula.
VOLTS X AMPS = WATTS
12 VDC @ 15 Amps equals 180 Watts
12 VDC @ 20 Amps equals 240 Watts

So two 55 Watt Halogen fog lights adds up to 110 Watts which is well below the limit. Remember to fuse your lights.

ALarsh
11-02-2004, 10:59 PM
What does fusing the lights do? I know the basics behind it, but I don't understand why you do it (electrical fires?).

fixer67
11-02-2004, 11:20 PM
What does fusing the lights do? I know the basics behind it, but I don't understand why you do it (electrical fires?).

YES
Do you want to blow a 59 cent fuse if there is a short or have a $5K machine go up in flames. The fuse should be located as close to the battery as possible. I just had to replace the wiring harness in a Walker because of a short on the dash panel and the owner just by-passed the fuse when it blow. It caught some grass and stuff on fire under the seat and the gas tank almost went. He did not even know he was on fire until a passing car stopped and told him. A few more seconds and he would have been mowing lawns on the moon.

smlavin
11-04-2004, 12:16 AM
You might want to check these threads out before mounting lights to you Super Z. Cooling fans and amp draw seems to be a warranty issue. One suggests LCD backup lights that might not draw too many amps. If you mount lights let us know how it works out. I like the Super Z but not having lights is a issue. Hope this helps. :waving:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=74108&highlight=lights

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=85223&highlight=lights

Lawn-Scapes
11-04-2004, 12:30 AM
I don't know... I would feel like an ass mowing in the dark. :(

Mowingman
11-04-2004, 09:22 AM
Lawn-Scapes,
I don't care what anyone thinks of me when I mow at night. When it is 100 degrees + all day, I would rather mow at night and look like a fool, than mow during the day and burn to a crisp. For many years, we have mowed our large commercial properties at night. Usually we start about 3:00 AM. Sometimes, I go out and start about 9:00 pm. and mow till daylight.
By mowing in the dark, we can then finish up the weedeating and edging just as daylight hits, and avoid the worst heat of the day.

stevesmowing
11-04-2004, 01:13 PM
I don't know... I would feel like an ass mowing in the dark. :(

haha yea but I always seem to be finding I have to cut one here or there right after it starts to get dark. I won't feel so stupid if i at least have a decent light kit.