PDA

View Full Version : calling at night, unprofesional?

bobbygedd
11-01-2004, 09:00 PM
i try to keep things looking like we are profesionals, and have "business hours." i try not to call anyone after like 6 pm. i don't want them to think i'm some putz running my business from my basement (even though i am). but now, my leaf cleanup adds are drawing an enourmous amount of phonecalls. these are one timers who will pay handsomely for the fall cleanup. alot of them work, so getting in touch with them means calling 7,8, 9 at night. is this unprofessional? also, since i am getting so many calls so quickly, i thought about thinking ahead to next season. i plan to add perhaps 30-40 new clients to my schedule next season, at least 10 of my exsisting clients will be getting the boot. should i use these fall contacts, and, perhaps offer them a more desirable leaf cleanup rate if they sign for a full pkg in 2005? example: estimate leaf cleanup = $350. with signing of 2005 service pkg, leaf estimate =$275. any thoughts?

Eric 1
11-01-2004, 09:09 PM
Oh-oh, thats scary, i do the same thing as BG. :eek:

Dont call after 6, offer discounts on cleanups if they sign up for a year.

lawnman_scott
11-01-2004, 09:38 PM
I will call till 9. They know your not in an office all day, or will know soon enough. If they dont want ya, the hell with them.

jajwrigh
11-01-2004, 10:34 PM
This spring I had a customer call me around 2 am!!! She was talking about some landscping that I was going to do as if it were 3pm!! Crazy people! :dizzy:

Runner
11-01-2004, 10:37 PM
People just see you as a busy contractor, not an "unbusinesslike" person. All this shows is that you are going to give a more personable service, because it is YOU that is the maitre' de, the head cook and the dishwasher.
As far as the incentive, I'm not really sure...I think I would give an incentive that is payable in the spring rather than one that they would get right now. 1. It's money in your pocket for over winter. 2. You didn't give that money away if they decide on something else or something happens during the winter.

The LawnSmith
11-01-2004, 10:47 PM
I call anywhere up to 9PM. (Example): Ma'am, I'm sorry to call so late, but I just got your message, and I'm going over my schedule for this week, How would Saturday morning work for your leaf cleanup? (Or something like that).
I haven't had a problem yet using this technique, and although 9PM may seem late, it lets the customer know that you are interested in their business. I have a couple older customers though that I wouldn't call that late, as I think they are in bed prior to that.

Mike

LB Landscaping
11-01-2004, 11:05 PM
Most people realize that this is a crazy season. I usually don't call after 7:30 and have never had any problems. I like the discount idea, sounds logical plus it will save time in the spring since you will already have accounts signed.

desert rose gardening
11-01-2004, 11:32 PM
I don't call afte 8:00pm Cus I don't want to be called after that time my self. But in the Summer I will call till dark, if the sun is till up I would say its ok to call. And these people that you are talking about calling are clean-ups so you wont be calling very often.

chefdrp
11-01-2004, 11:43 PM
I dont see anything wrong with calling at night. If you are like me you work late. Do paper work and make calls. And on the discount i would do that.

tiedeman
11-02-2004, 12:27 AM
I have some customer that call me after 9pm because that is how they know to get ahold of me. Most of the time I just let the answering machine get it, and if I like the sounds of who it is on the other line (a good customer) then I will call them back right away, if not, I will wait until tomorrow

HOOLIE
11-02-2004, 01:15 AM
Bobby,

If you're still collecting old debts at 2am, I see NO PROBLEM in calling a client during Jeopardy.

mtdman
11-02-2004, 01:55 AM
My cutoff is 8pm usually. The discount idea is a good one, bobby.

Island Lawn
11-02-2004, 07:04 AM
In theory, I figure if telemarketers can call up to 9pm, so can I.

In practice, I rarely call past 7:30...

BryPaulD
11-02-2004, 07:43 AM
I'd call up until nine, but try to skip maybe 6:30 - 7:30 because of dinner time??