PDA

View Full Version : I think the hardware store got me

rdran5
11-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Okay, I bought a Stihl KM85R, with the 24 inch 0-90degree hedge trimmer on a 6 ft extension. I did not get the trimmer attachment with it. Another dealer told me I paid way to much. I also did not receive the trimmer attachment, he (dealer) said I was supposed to have received it with the unit.
I bought from a smaller hardware store, the info came from a reputable outdoor power eqip co. in my area.
I paid 509.00 total incl the hedge trimmer attachment. Am I entitled to receive the trimmer attachment as well ?
If anybody knows thanks. I probably got Screw__

RichLandscapes

Runner
11-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Boy, I don't know, but it sounds like you came in close to the price. The hedge trimmer attachment is much more than the string trimmer head. This trimmer goes for just over 4, I think.

promower
11-02-2004, 10:14 AM
I paid $350 for mine.

geogunn
11-02-2004, 11:28 AM
for that price did you get the trimmer attachment with it?

GEO

rdran5
11-02-2004, 03:29 PM
GEO, No I didn't get the string trimmer head with the unit. I had no idea, until the other dealer told me I was supposed to have gotten the trimmer head no matter which attachment I bought. I am just going to take my receipt back up to the original dealer and find out if he tried to stick me....

MMLawn
11-02-2004, 03:31 PM
GEO, No I didn't get the string trimmer head with the unit. I had no idea, until the other dealer told me I was supposed to have gotten the trimmer head no matter which attachment I bought. I am just going to take my receipt back up to the original dealer and find out if he tried to stick me....

I think GEO was asking that to the other guy (promower) that only paid $350 for his.

promower
11-03-2004, 07:17 PM
sorry think I read the post wrong, I bought a stihl hedge trimmer attachment to put on my trimmer which was $350

Likestomow
11-03-2004, 08:00 PM
RDRAN5 --- you might have taken it in the shorts, but you will get good service, right? ....or will you that that in the shorts too?

I always check prices out-of-town to find the best buy. Big merchandisers who move lots of pieces per year have much lower prices than the corner hardware store. Get on the mailing list for Russo ACE hardware in Chicago and you will see some really low prices.

I've had warranty issues on equipment where parts have gone bad, like gas caps that have started leaking during the warranty period, and have been sent new parts for free, no questions asked. I've even had to take mail order equipment for local warranty work and have had no problem doing that either. Just keep your receipt to prove you are in the warranty period.

Learn to operate a new, cheaper way. Reduce your costs as much as you possibly can.

Sam-Ohio
11-03-2004, 09:39 PM
You didn't get screwed at all !

The Stihl, KM series [split boom engine units] are priced with NO attachment. The idea is that you are supposed to pick the engine that will best fit your needs - and then pick whatever attaching tools you want for the type of work you need to do with it. Many people buy these machines with no thought of ever using them as a string trimmer, so they are sold only the attachments they need in order to keep the price down.

Stihl's promo price on the KM 85R engine unit is $309.95
The HLV-KM 0-90 deg hedge clipper attach. is $209.95

Total $519.95

So you got it for a saw buck less than promo price. At least you got a free lunch at Mc Donalds that day.

The guy at the other dealership, that BS ed you about their policy of including the FS trimmer head attachment with the engine unit, is just bitter that you bought your Stihl elsewhere.

If you want to test this guys truthfullness - offer to take him up on the deal !! If you can buy the KM 85 R , and get him to throw in the FS trimmer head for free, for $309. all properly assembled, set up, and running , you will have bought it AT HIS COST ! If you really want to see him puke, pay for it with a Discover Card ! If this dealer has any clue what his true costs are, he will be about $10 in the hole, by the time you are through with him.
DO NOT OFFER TO BUY ANY OTHER ATTACHMENT AT THIS TIME ! Just take the complete KM 85 and the free trimmer attachment and head for the door out of there.

You might tell him how many relatives and friends you are going to send his way for this same deal - Just to make his day complete !

Turf Medic
11-03-2004, 09:51 PM
You didn't get screwed at all !

The Stihl, KM series [split boom engine units] are priced with NO attachment. The idea is that you are supposed to pick the engine that will best fit your needs - and then pick whatever attaching tools you want for the type of work you need to do with it. Many people buy these machines with no thought of ever using them as a string trimmer, so they are sold only the attachments they need in order to keep the price down.

Stihl's promo price on the KM 85R engine unit is $309.95
The HLV-KM 0-90 deg hedge clipper attach. is $209.95

Total $519.95

So you got it for a saw buck less than promo price. At least you got a free lunch at Mc Donalds that day.

The guy at the other dealership, that BS ed you about their policy of including the FS trimmer head attachment with the engine unit, is just bitter that you bought your Stihl elsewhere.

If you want to test this guys truthfullness - offer to take him up on the deal !! If you can buy the KM 85 R , and get him to throw in the FS trimmer head for free, for $309. all properly assembled, set up, and running , you will have bought it AT HIS COST ! If you really want to see him puke, pay for it with a Discover Card ! If this dealer has any clue what his true costs are, he will be about $10 in the hole, by the time you are through with him.
DO NOT OFFER TO BUY ANY OTHER ATTACHMENT AT THIS TIME ! Just take the complete KM 85 and the free trimmer attachment and head for the door out of there.

You might tell him how many relatives and friends you are going to send his way for this same deal - Just to make his day complete !

Then take your reciept for the original purchase and return the new one to the first dealer, still in the box :cool2:

Sam-Ohio
11-03-2004, 10:07 PM
What box ?

You don't buy Stihl equipment in a box !

You get Chinese Mc Cullochs at Sam's Club in a box !