PDA

View Full Version : Getting that first customer

EliteImpressions
11-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Has anyone found that getting the first customer really hard to get? Ive handed out about 300 cards and knocked on about 30 doors to see if anyone needs their leaves removed or other services.

I live in south jersey and was thinking of putting an ad in the newspaper. Would this be too late? I probably have about two or more weeks until all the leaves fall. I was thinking that anyone that was thinking about the service already contacted another LCO? I think Ill try anyway.

Please give me any insight on this. It's not that much money to advertise in the paper, but I do not want to throw it away because Im on a very limited budget until I finish saving for my wedding in July.

Also, if any other people in the area have too many jobs, please send them over to me on a commission basis. I also have a day job near the Granite run mall in Lima, PA if anyone needs help in that area as well.

Metro Lawn
11-01-2004, 10:51 PM
being honest, I would focus on residential snow at this time. It is late in the season for the lawn work. Many of the snow customers are going to end up as lawn customers. Wait until spring and start avertising around March.

HOOLIE
11-01-2004, 11:56 PM
You could try some advertising, you could pick up some leaf jobs and snow accounts. A lot of people procrastinate on their yards. That's why I always get calls into mid-May from people who haven't cut the grass yet (its not that tall...HONEST).

But I wouldn't shoot your whole advertising wad, have enough money to hit it hard in the Spring, too.

EliteImpressions
11-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Thanks guys. Ill wait to advertise untill next year. I might hand out some cards once we get news of snow fall later on this year.

tiedeman
11-03-2004, 02:57 AM
Have you thought about going through friends, family, etc to get those first few customers. Connections do pay off big time for something like this

LCME
11-03-2004, 11:01 AM
It's never too late to sign up weekly mowing customers for next year. I'm currently signing up new and old customers for next years mowing right now. sign them up early. Do not wait till next year because I will have them all. hehehe. :waving:

Team Gopher
11-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi EliteImpressions,

Always consider services you can offer through out the year. The more ideas you come up with the more your business will grow, thanks to you.

EliteImpressions
11-06-2004, 09:48 AM
We'll see what happens, I put another 100 or so business cards out yesterday and left about 50 at a pet grooming place in the area. Im going to advertise a lot come februarty

ALarsh
11-06-2004, 01:48 PM
What about getting some 1/2-sheet fliers instead of business cards?

EliteImpressions
11-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Ive thought about that too. Some people at my regular job told me to use the printers at work. I just dont want to get caught right now. Ill probably do that come spring though.