PDA

View Full Version : I have a decision to make...

wagner17
11-01-2004, 09:17 PM
I have a decision to make and I was just trying to get some input. I know that everyone will have their preferences, but I really could go either way on this, just wanted some feedback.

I have decided on either a Hustler Super Walkbehind 48" or an ExMark TTHP for my mowers. Both are quality machines. A lot of people talk up the ExMarks on the site, but to me it really is a toss-up between the two.

As far as my "accessories" such as blowers, trimmers, edgers, etc. I have to decide between RedMax and Echo. Personally I like RedMax a little better, but Echo is pretty good as well.

Here is the catch, the Hustler dealer is 10 miles away (also a tool rental place, don't know how that effects service) and there is an Echo dealer right down the street from there. Overall, I have heard nothing good or bad about the dealer. A reputable ExMark dealer is about 30 miles away (~40 minutes) and they sell RedMax as well. Have heard mostly good things about the dealer, only 1 somewhat negative comment about them. Which makes more sense to deal with? One is closer, the other I know more about? Also, it may sound stupid, but Hustler and Echo match my truck better than all red equipment - but that is the least of my concern.

Help me make a decision based on your experiences and opinions with dealers in general and the various products mentioned. Also, I figure that the Hustler will cost about 1K more than the ExMark.
Thanks,
Steve

dvmcmrhp52
11-01-2004, 09:31 PM
Tough call.
I wouldn't want a dealer that is 30 miles away.......what happens when a repair is needed NOW.
On the other hand I wouldn't pay $1000 more for a hustler..........

Corporate support from Exmark is a definite plus, don't know about hustler but it does seem to me I've heard some negatives.........could be wrong. We run Exmarks.

kickin sum grass
11-01-2004, 09:46 PM
where at in cincy are you located. Maybe we can find you a closer exmark dealer. I have yet to find a hustler dealer in this area.

stevesmowing
11-01-2004, 10:04 PM
I was going to get a hustler super w/b but then I ended up with the super z rider. I have had great support from the dealer. I would get the hustler w/b if it was me the biggest reason is the H-bar steering.

wagner17
11-01-2004, 10:13 PM
where at in cincy are you located. Maybe we can find you a closer exmark dealer. I have yet to find a hustler dealer in this area.

I live in the Wyoming/Springfield Township area. Bramble Mower in Newton is about 30 miles from me, but is a reputable ExMark/RedMax dealer. Bud Herbert sells ExMark/John Deere and is about 15 minutes from me. The Hustler dealer is about 10 minutes from me in Fairfield.

Thanks,
Steve

P.I.L.C.
11-01-2004, 11:52 PM
If possible, demo both units. I purchased a turf tracer this spring (52" with 23hp Kohler). My dealer is also 30 to 40 minutes away. Great service from him. He also carries the brand of trimmers and blowers that I use. One stop and I am done. I went with the exmark because of the controls. ECS was alot more comfortable to run all day long. I couldn't see myself twisting the handle bars forward all day on the hustler. Didn't seem comfortable to me. The only downside of the ECS is that you will bang your knuckles a couple of times when you get to close to a tree.

PaulJ
11-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Hustler = more hp
" = heavy duty air cleaner
" = larger rear tires
" = larger front tires
" = deaper deck
And Hustler has the best easiest control system to learn and use = the H-bar

I have the 48" super and It's great. works well on properties forn 3000 to 30000 sq ft

Any ?? just ask.

sodzilla
11-04-2004, 12:53 AM
I've never tried the ECS, but I love the H-bar on my Hustler.

Sam-Ohio
11-04-2004, 03:20 AM
Doesn't Klei mower have Exmark down there ?

sawman65
11-04-2004, 07:15 AM
i have sold the exmark for the last 12 years and they are my bread and butter.but in the past 3 years that i have been dealing with hustler i am slowly being won over by them.this year i had a hustler supper walk behind
25hp54" and that thing is a money maker.i don't mow for a living but i do have a 10 acre yard.with steep hills(i live in east TN.).i could have any mower i wanted for the year and i chose that one hands down.
now as far as support,i have had hustler reps.go over to a customers house
to see what was wrong with a unit that was not cutting right and it was in nc.
that to me is above and beyond the call of duty.i don't know about some of the other company's who sell mowers to the dealers but the men and women
of south co sales in Nashville are the best.i have only had to call hustler
once and that was over a unit that was broken right out of the crate
i like exmark don't get me wrong but hustler is hungry and it shows