PDA

View Full Version : how much an s185 cost

travis strecker
11-01-2004, 08:48 PM
how much does an s185 cost with a cab heat,air conditioning also can u get joy stick controls in a s185

thepawnshop
11-01-2004, 09:22 PM
I think each dealer will be different, but here in Roanoke, VA, the S185 with the options you listed would go for about 28k (actually higher, but they give a "dealer discount" of about 10%). As far as the joystick controls, my understanding is that they only offer them currently in the S"2" series...(S205, 220 and 250 models).

Tigerotor77W
11-02-2004, 12:01 AM
Wow, 28k is quite a bit... I know our dealer had a special in April for about $20,000 or so...

And I do believe pawnshop is correct; selectable joystick controls are only available on larger models. HOWEVER -- you CAN get hand controls on the S185.

thepawnshop
11-02-2004, 06:43 AM
Xing, keep in mind...he asked about air which adds about 2k to the base price. I did just go through the shopping process and the S185 was in consideration (just without air...)

Tigerotor77W
11-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Duh... ooops. :goes back to hibernation:

ksland
11-02-2004, 07:15 PM
I paid $27k for a S185 cab heat no AC. Yes joystick controls are an option on the S185

Tigerotor77W
11-02-2004, 10:40 PM
ksland, just wanted to verify, the joysticks you are referring to: does the left one control the drive system (all drive functions) or just the left side drive?

travis strecker
11-02-2004, 11:17 PM
will an s185 pickup a pallet full of pavers and haul a pallet of sod around and will it do landcaping or should i go to a bigger machine

TerraFirma Excavating
11-03-2004, 12:17 PM
will an s185 pickup a pallet full of pavers and haul a pallet of sod around and will it do landcaping or should i go to a bigger machine

How much does a pallet full of pavers or a pallet of sod weight? I was unloading 2,220# pallets of crushed rubber from a semi-trailer with my 773T (same as S185). These were large bags with loops on the top of the bag. I would then stick my forks through the loops, lift the bag about 4 feet off the ground and slit the bag while backing up to spread it. Worked great. Did not notice any tipping even when the load was up high.

I do have the optional counter-weight on the rear door also, suppose to raise the ROC to 1950#. ROC of wheeled skidsteers is 50% of tipping weight. You will notice the rear end getting "light" and the front tires getting spongy with heavier loads before you reach the tipping weight. I have tried to lift large pieces of concrete (??????#) and just had the back of the machine come off the ground. 2,200# is the heaviest load with a known weight which I have picked up. Have picked up heavier, but were unknown weights.

TerraFirma Excavating
11-03-2004, 12:24 PM
BTW, I purchased a 2001 Bobcat 773T new for $28K. It was the loaded 500K anniversary model. Airconditioning, heated cab, power Bobtach, super float tires, selectable hand or foot controls, deluxe instumentation, 74 lo-pro buckets, and pallet forks.

This was a few years ago, so prices could have only gone up. Especially since the price of steel has skyrocketed.

Tigerotor77W
11-03-2004, 02:28 PM
I guess NH really is giving their machines away for cheap... you can get an Ls180 (similar to S250) for about 28k as well. :shakes head:

EngDave
11-03-2004, 06:42 PM
I was just told last Thursday by Perimeter Bobcat in Atlanta that they are selling new S185 with heat and a/c, tooth bucket, and foot controls for $24,195. Without a/c about $21,500. Apparently a new factory discount program has just started, I don't know how long it will last. Perimeter Bobcat is a factory store, not an independent dealer.
As for lift capacity is concerned, I feel the 5000 lb tip machines are better suited for pavers, sod, etc. My 773T w/foam fill and Grouser hard shoe tracks probably has a 3900 - 4000 lb tip (2000 lb operating capacity) and is at it's limit with either of these. Being palletized, these loads are distributed out over the length of the forks. As the load moves out over the forks, it also moves further from the front tire contact patch (and machine center of gravity) making it easier to tip. Don't forget that the load location of the SAE tip test protocol may not represent where the load is located on the front of your machine.
I can get a load of palletized landscape rocks off a flatbed truck but it's not comfortable. I would never try and lift them through the total lift range of my machine. Add uneven terrain and things can get uncomfortable quick. The bigger machines will provide lift capacities more suited to this type work.
Dave

Tigerotor77W
11-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Definitely agreed... pavers are best left for larger machines. Maybe except the Deere 317 which lifts like a mother and weighs around 6300 pounds... :sigh:

YardPro
11-19-2004, 01:32 PM
How much does a pallet full of pavers or a pallet of sod weight? I was unloading 2,220# pallets of crushed rubber from a semi-trailer with my 773T (same as S185). These were large bags with loops on the top of the bag. I would then stick my forks through the loops, lift the bag about 4 feet off the ground and slit the bag while backing up to spread it. Worked great. Did not notice any tipping even when the load was up high.

I do have the optional counter-weight on the rear door also, suppose to raise the ROC to 1950#. ROC of wheeled skidsteers is 50% of tipping weight. You will notice the rear end getting "light" and the front tires getting spongy with heavier loads before you reach the tipping weight. I have tried to lift large pieces of concrete (??????#) and just had the back of the machine come off the ground. 2,200# is the heaviest load with a known weight which I have picked up. Have picked up heavier, but were unknown weights.

the s185 has a tip capacity of 1850#.
that's where they get thier name.
i could not get a 2000# palet of muclh off of a isuzu npr. the back wheels just kept on coming up.
with the weight kit, mabey.

Tigerotor77W
11-21-2004, 05:50 PM
the s185 has a tip capacity of 1850#.
that's where they get thier name.
i could not get a 2000# palet of muclh off of a isuzu npr. the back wheels just kept on coming up.
with the weight kit, mabey.

No, the S185 has a ROC of 1850. Its tip capacity, like that of the S175, is 3900 pounds according to J818. (I believe J732 refers to J818... it could be the other way around.)

I am somewhat doubtful that the pallet was 2,000 pounds, but I wasn't there and consequently can't say anything about whether it was or wasn't. (Just another explanation for why the S185 wouldn't lift the pallet, NOT an attack on you.) More likely the reason for why it wouldn't lift it is that you were using forks. Keep in mind that with pallets, the load center is farther away from the machine -- with a bucket, the load center is roughly midway into the bucket; with forks, it's >24" away from the attachment plate -- a distance of over 12" more than with a bucket alone -- and so you will NOT be able to lift as much with forks. The short wheelbase of the S150-S205 doesn't help, either.

travis strecker
11-22-2004, 11:54 PM
can u get one to make a little money on side and just break even also how do u get work for it

Tigerotor77W
11-23-2004, 12:48 PM
There's a few threads on this, but the general consensus is to get out, make phone calls, and make ads in local papers advertising what you would like to do with the machine. (Snow removal and brick-paving, for example.)