PDA

View Full Version : Leaf collection

lotsoflights
11-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Hi,
I was looking to see if anyone had plans on their boxed for leaf collection. I have F550 and was looking build abox for the back. I was looking for any good tips that you all might have. Things to do and things to stay away from... :cool2: :help:

Craig

Greybeard
11-02-2004, 12:13 AM
I just built one. Actually, I extended the sides to make a body 6' high. (First I asked the welding shop for a price for a sheet metal one. He laughed. Said $4-5 thousand. Double last year's price, because steel is so high.)
Anyway, he gave me some tips: keep the inside smooth - all the supports on the outside, it will dump better.

The more vent area the better. I used a full open top covered by a mesh tarp. It seems to work great, and not throw as much dust as small vents. I cross-braced everything because of the open top.

My dump bed is a 14 foot landscaper body, with two sections of fold-down sides each side. I cut plywood down to 7 feet, then glued and screwed 2x3 around the edges, except where they butt together. There I left each 2x3 about 3 1/2 inches short, and ran a 2x8 vertical to cover the seam. everything is bolted through.

For the tailgate I got 3/4 pipe, screwed into floor flanges on each side, then hung a plywood door sandwiched between 2x3 lumber, and attached with pipe clamps. It swings from the top, and hangs a few inches inside the tailgate, which is a lightweight.

The whole thing will unbolt and stack flat in 6 pieces at the end of the season. The loader is a 16 horse Kohler Giant Vac. I was lucky to find one with the extra-long swing away trailer hitch mount. Just clears the dump.

I just noticed - you're right down the road. If you'd like to see the rig, send me a pm. I'm not far from Route 91. And if you need help with curbside leaf pickup, my truck holds 21 yards.

Sorry about the long post. If I get some time, and I can figure it out, I'll try to post a pic or two. Good luck with the project.