PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever "demo" potential employees?

lawnwizards
11-01-2004, 10:08 PM
just wanted to ask if anyone ever gave a trial interview... have them show up in work clothes then have them cut your lawn. you know, pay them what you would start them out at. watch how they cut, stripes etc... how they trim.. how easy it is for them to start the equipment... how long it takes to cut and trim. (you already know how long it takes)... essentially take out the hassle of the actual first day... so, what do you all think??? all responses appreciated...

lawnwizards

ALarsh
11-01-2004, 10:13 PM
I don't have employees, but my thoughts were that you train your employees, rather than handing them the key to your ZTR, giving them a weedwacker when they show up on the first day and say "get to work".

Am I understanding your post correctly?

lawnwizards
11-01-2004, 10:17 PM
the only problem with training is its a pain in the a$$. this way you already know if they can do it or not... 99.9% will say they have run the equipment before at the interview...

thill
11-01-2004, 10:18 PM
We hire each individual under the guidelines of "we have a temporary overload" and have a slot for just a few days (usually a week).

If they are still interested, then we "know" they do want to work and are not just interviewing to see what we pay.

This gives us a few days to decide whether or not to keep em. It also gives them a few days to decide if they are willing to work at the pace and quality levels we require.

It has worked pretty well in most cases.

Tom

lawnwizards
11-01-2004, 10:49 PM
thill, do you ever have people stop you and ask if you are hiring??? i can't stand it. i go to the grocery store for milk for my little girl and i have 10 people asking me if i'm hiring... is this country that bad or do people think lawncare is that easy?

lawnman_scott
11-01-2004, 11:38 PM
I did that this year. I didnt come up with any story though. I said I was trying out different guys each day. Most didnt show, those who did were worthless. Hired back an ex-employee. But I highly reccomend it. One guy had 3 years exp on the phone, when he got here he had never did this. Some others just did so bad of a job. The good thing is you can quit early if they suck, and you dont have to fire them.