PDA

View Full Version : unhappy customer

bosslac
11-01-2004, 11:07 PM
i use a classen 25in aerator walk behind that plugs about every 4 inches ihave one customer that was not happy because i did not go over his lawn several times i onlly go over the yard once am i doing it wrong

tiedeman
11-01-2004, 11:25 PM
it really depends on the customer and the type of aerator I feel. Many, but not all LCO's, will make another pass perpendicular with the first one

mtdman
11-02-2004, 12:48 AM
I always overlap when I aerate. Unless the customer asks for double passes, I just do that. I pull a ton of plugs just with one pass overlapping.

work_it
11-02-2004, 12:59 AM
I make a second pass horizontal to my first one. That way I know I've covered my butt, and haven't had any complaints yet. On the other hand there's always a chance I'm going to run across a PITA who's not happy unless they're making everyone else miserable.

kickin sum grass
11-02-2004, 06:36 AM
once with walkbehind, twice with pullbehind as the tines are spaced further apart and I can go 10mph.

MMLawn
11-02-2004, 10:17 AM
They should be upset if you only made one pass esp with just a 25". You should have made at least two passes crossing each other to pull the proper plugs.

hole in one lco
11-02-2004, 10:38 AM
tell them you are aerating not rotating :rolleyes:

pema
11-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Goes to show you cant be all things to all people! I normally do a double pass.

On the topic of unhappy customers: I just got off the phone with a guy who informs me he doesn't want to pay his bill for a seeding job I did last week. He called originally for aeration and overseeding. When I got to the property his back yard was mud due to construction he had done to his house. I said "aeration and overseeding isn't going to be enough". I continued by saying I didn't do hardscape work and gave him a few options and recommended he call a few landscape companies.

He called back a few days later begging me to help him. "Seeding is not Rocket science" was his exact words, and he would rather I do it since he wanted me to do his fertilizer and weed control for 2005. I reluctantly contacted a local guy who does small jobs and agreed to till the yard, level it as best as we could and reseed. I cautioned the guy that it was getting far too late to apply seed, he said he didn't care he just wanted some coverage for winter.

After a week of steady rain, I took advantage of 2 days of sunlight and scheduled the work. The yard was full of construction debris. His wife was home and I explained to her what I was doing and why and there would likely be some "lumpiness" to the yard to which I agreed to come back in the spring and roll it out, or re-till and apply more seed if I had too.

I didn't charge near enough for the job to begin with and inspite of being "Crystal Clear" on the limitations of the job, the customer expected the "Back Nine at Augusta".

Green Dreams
11-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Has anyone bought the newer aerator with the left and right steering? I can't find the info now but it shows how easy it is to steer. It looks sweet but...I dunno...

Gravely_Man
11-02-2004, 01:12 PM
As pointed out you should be making a second pass perpendicular to the first pass. This will give you the coverage you need to properly aerate the soil.

Gravely_Man

mtdman
11-02-2004, 01:38 PM
I didn't charge near enough for the job to begin with and inspite of being "Crystal Clear" on the limitations of the job, the customer expected the "Back Nine at Augusta".

That's a case where if the customer won't listen, it might be best to just walk away.

work_it
11-02-2004, 03:36 PM
Walking away is no longer an option. The work was done by PIMA, and now it's just a matter of collecting. I wouldn't hesitate to take someone like that to court.

bushtrimmer
11-02-2004, 04:19 PM
We try to overlap real well or make perpendicular passes. Then go over main traffic areas and edges by walks and drive (where customer would notice) another time or two to make it look good.

kickin sum grass
11-02-2004, 04:31 PM
I just had a lady get quoted 60 bucks from a guy walking the hood for an aeration job I charge 138 for. She wanted to know why I charged so much. I explained about doing it properly and quaility equipment in working order. I explain that most people, and I did say most not all, that charge these low rates only do one pass and don't over lap any therefore leaving gaps or have worn out spoons resulting in shallow plugs. She is my fert customer so she stayed with me. Her neighbor had the cheap guy and man could you tell a difference. I had I bet 3 times as many plugs and twice as long.
I did a double pass pull behind and walk behind is corners and areas the pull behind could not get. Needless to say she felt she got her monies worth with us.

bosslac
11-02-2004, 10:09 PM
the aerator i have is steerable and very easy to use

Premo Services
11-02-2004, 10:20 PM
Has anyone bought the newer aerator with the left and right steering? I can't find the info now but it shows how easy it is to steer. It looks sweet but...I dunno...

Classen has one, but lesco also has one too, and I have the split drive core aerator from lesco. I love it, the split drive makes it a snap to turn at the end of passes. I had rented a non split drive at lesco and the split drive is worth the couple extra bux....

Also on the first post about double core aeration, I will bid the job higher to compensate for time and other things, to do a double aeration if the lawn is real thin or compacted payup payup payup . Most of the time a single pass is all it needs with my machine.