PDA

View Full Version : Strange how things turn out...

HighGrass
11-02-2004, 01:56 AM
In 1973, I was 14 and alot in the world was happening as you can imagine. My brother was 20 and mowing about 10 accounts. He was the service manager at a Cub Cadet Dealer in Ct and was my greatest hero. Everybody liked the guy and he was always having fun no matter what he was doing. He worked hard and played hard. He bought a new snowmobile (SKI DOO 399 TNT) and a Harley both in cash. He didn't like credit..at all!
If memory serves, he probably worked 12 hours a day all year round always finding extra work along with his full time job.

In mid June, it was a Wed I think, I noticed a State Cruiser pull into or driveway. The trooper and My Uncle who lived next store informed me and my mom that my brother was killed on his motercycle. Two weeks later my Dad died of a stroke. Some say the news of my brother probably contributed to it more than anything else. The pain never seems to go away but I have fond memories of his "New" 1969 Chevy P/U with his Cadet in the back and two large 2X10's sticking out over the tailgate. And, just so that I could always know that it was him, he had the only small block in the nieghborhood with a pair of Hooker Headers! His best friend has restored the pick-up to near perfect condition and once in a while I take a road trip to see it. All of the contents in the glove box are the same as it was 30 years ago.
I have worked alot of jobs over the years and it's strange. Here I am, Mowing lawns.
I probably am a little more picky than I have to be, but I always think he's watching.

work_it
11-02-2004, 02:05 AM
Great to hear that you and his best friend keep your brothers memories alive. You're right, he's probably looking out over you. God bless, and thank you for sharing such an important part of your history with us.

Mark McC
11-02-2004, 06:37 AM
Isn't it amazing that someone gone so long can have such an impact on our lives? My best friend from high school died in 1978, two years after we graduated.

I'll always remember Shane two ways: the way he was at 18 when we graduated and the way he was in the hospital a few days before he passed away. That latter image is not how I think of him, though.

I wonder how he would look now with 26 additional years on his face, what his life would be like. I wonder if he would have managed to make a living as a drummer, if he would have had kids, if he would have endured a divorce.

Those who pass leave wisps of themsleves behind. My father did that, too, when he died in '92. Our memories make us a haunted species, but it's not always negative.

Eric 1
11-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Wow, I could not think of losing my dad now.

Thanks for sharing this memory with us. Keep up the good work.