PDA

View Full Version : Something I noticed yesterday about my cleanups

LwnmwrMan22
11-02-2004, 07:58 AM
This is the first round of cleanups I've been doing with a Kubota ZD28, 60" prodeck.

Now, this has SOMETHING to do with it, because it has a 4-5" deep deck, BUT, my other observation went something like this.

I'm just starting my cleanups here in MN, mostly because every day for the last 2 weeks we've either had drizzle or flat out rain, and I've been waiting for things to dry out.

Well, they haven't, it's raining again right now, even though the NWS says it's supposed to be mostly sunny right now, guess they're all in line trying to vote.

Anyways, back to my observation. Most of my lawns now are 4-5" tall, with the leaves imbedded in the grass, since I haven't mowed since the first of October. Everyone is on contract, and I've already been paid by everyone to mow and clean-up.

They all know that I wait until at least the 20th of October to start cleanups, since there's no use before that.

Making a long post longer, what I noticed today was, with the grass being as long as it is, there's no blowout from under the front of the deck. The grass that you're cutting into holds everything in.

When I'd run over an area that was already cut, then there'd be some blowout.

I just post this, for you guys that cut every week right up until you start cleaning up, then wonder what you could do about the blowout from the front of your deck.

Maybe next year trying missing a week before you start doing your cleanups, or two, then the grass might just hold all that mess under your deck better.

Again, if you're being paid per cut, you're probably going to want the money, but if you're on contract, just something I'd point out.

griffithtlc
11-02-2004, 08:59 AM
I have noticed the same thing. We have not cut anybodys grass for the last few weeks. The only bad thing is that when the grass is that high you bag allot of grass and not just the leaves.

That's what we have been waiting for to. Things to dry up alittle. There was one lco out this weekend ripping up some places trying to get his cleanups done. He closes up shop the 31st so he was probably givin it H*** to get done.

The one drawback is getting some calls from some customers thinking are we gonna show up but there all fine after you explain to them.

pops56
11-02-2004, 07:01 PM
I have been cleaning yards with a John Deere GT235 with a power bagger. I have also noticed blowout with my mower. This is a newer model. Last year I used the old style and had perfect pick up. Wondering if anyone else has this problem with the newer version of the power bagger.