PDA

View Full Version : Discharge for Residential?

Omaha_residential
11-02-2004, 09:55 AM
I'm new to the business and am shopping for 36" walk-behinds for residential jobs. Since I am targeting the residential market I am wondering if a discharge setup is going to meet customer's expectations. Do you guys bag or discharge for residential.

The shop down the street has a used 36" Great Dane WB for $1400 (2 years old), seems to fit my needs and budget.

Frontier-Lawn
11-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Personally i mulch. i put my bag and chute in the shed

gogetter
11-02-2004, 10:33 AM
You should be able to side discharge without anyone complaining. That's if you cut at the right height, at the right intervals, and the right blades help (you can even go with double blades if you find that you need to).

Don't take on bi-weekly lawns and expect to be able to side discharge and have it look good. You've got to cut weekly (maybe even more often on heavily fertilized lawns during spring growth).

Bagging and hauling all that grass around is a LOT of extra work, and if the customer insists on it, make sure you charge them a premium price because they are getting premium service.

I myself won't take on any customers that want bagging. Too much trouble for me.

chevyman1
11-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Jonathan the gogetter is absolutely 100% correct on this point. I see all these guys in this area bagging and dumping. My Dixie with high lifts, and an occasional double cut with the deck up leaves lawns just as nice, and far more healthy. NO way am I going to haul that stuff around all the time

HOOLIE
11-02-2004, 11:30 PM
I guess I'm lucky, they pick up grass clippings around here. If I had to haul them away, well, I wouldn't. Most of my bagging comes during the Spring. On a lot of lawns its just easier and faster to bag vs. double/triple cutting and having all that crap blown into all the beds and all over the sidewalk. By the time summer hits I've pretty much put the bagger away.

tiedeman
11-03-2004, 02:55 AM
I have to agree with gogetter..I try to only side dicharge, but if customers want it bagged, then they are usually charged anywheres from 1/3 to 2/3 of their regular mowing price depending on the thickness and height of the lawn

Rustic Goat
11-03-2004, 03:16 AM
99.9% of the time, I mulch.
Wether you can discharge to the customer's satisfaction will depend on the general mower cut quality, turf conditions, blades, etc.

If you do bag, you really must charge more, time and disposal drives your job costs up.

man of stihl
11-13-2004, 09:26 AM
i ususally bag in the spring. it looks to bad if you dont. most of my accounts i bag the front lawn then discharge the back. they dont notice, since my wb does very will with the gators. i would like to go strictly discharge or even mulch bagging is a pain. i have a couple of bi-weekly accounts and i must bag those before i leave. next season i may drop these and get better accounts.