PDA

View Full Version : JD Quik trak question

Cutworm
11-02-2004, 02:56 PM
I have the opportunity to get a new 657 (23 HP Kawi) with 54" deck for $5000. Is that a good deal or about normal??

Cutworm
11-02-2004, 04:51 PM
I know there are some people on here with knowledge of performance and pricing of the quik traks...help a poor man out! :cry:

TClawn
11-02-2004, 04:53 PM
that looks like a great deal.

Travis Followell
11-02-2004, 05:57 PM
That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

gogetter
11-02-2004, 06:22 PM
For brand new? That seems like a heck of a deal!

By the way, you gotta give people more then 2 hours to respond! ;-)

Let us know if you get it and give us a review if you do.

GreenMonster
11-02-2004, 06:45 PM
yeah, great deal. I paid $6k a month or so ago.

Cutworm
11-02-2004, 08:03 PM
yeah, great deal. I paid $6k a month or so ago.

How do you like it so far? Would you get one of these over a Z mower?

GreenMonster
11-02-2004, 08:44 PM
How do you like it so far? Would you get one of these over a Z mower?

I do like it. It has cut down mowing time up to 50% on some properties, over my 60" bob-cat hydro w/b. Buy it over a Z? yeah, I would, and did. If a Z would have been right for me though, I would have bought one instead. But a Z wasn't what I needed. I think you would be smart to consider your application, and not simply whether or not the price is too good to pass up. I got it because I thought it was a good mix -- does well in tight areas where a "Z" wouldn't fit, and is much faster than a w/b (even with a velkie) in wide open areas. If you're mostly wide open, a z is probably better. I have a bad back and actually prefer the standing.

Here are a few things I don't like about it.

Tires will spin easy. You need to shift your weight around on slopes and such to prevent this. You'll also want to come to a complete stop before turning -- no different than a Z really

While the 7 Iron deck discharges great, it doesn't stripe for sh!t. IMO, no big deal. I'll make a kit in the winter.

I'm having trouble finding hi-lift gator mulching. My dealer says they're going away due to safety issues :confused: This may mean meg-mo's next year?

Again on the discharge -- don't let anyone tell you it won't discharge well cuz it's stamped. It puts my grasshopper and bob-cat fabricated decks to shame (discharge wise).

HTH

Cutworm
11-03-2004, 07:27 AM
Thanks GM...anyone else??

jpmako
11-04-2004, 08:46 AM
I don't own a Quik Trak yet but I do have a 777 Z-Track. I can tell you that I love the way the 7 Iron deck cuts. It disperses clippings nicely, and cuts better in tall or wet grass than any other machine I have ever owned. I will be getting a Quik Trak in the spring to replace one of my walk behinds.
By the way as a lot of people will tell you dealer support matters a lot.
I have ordered parts for my machine from my dealer and every time the part has been on my door step the next day whether they had it in stock or not!
That to me means alot because every other machine that I have, if the dealer has to order the part it takes sometimes weekas to get and it gets shipped to the dealer not me. Go with the Deere you will be very happy!!!

Jason :waving:

jpmako
11-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Mark,

I am interested in the Meg-Mo blades as well. I just put a set of Gator Magnums on 2 days ago and they work really well compared to standard blades on any machine as far as chopping up leaves. I think I am gonna get the Megs though.

This is with standard High Lift Blades and no Stripe Kit.

DuallyVette
11-05-2004, 12:02 AM
I have a 657 JD. It cuts great on the wide open areas. It is NO WHERE NEAR as manuverable as our old Great Dane origional surfers. The front is too heavy, crappy balance. I would go with a Wright Stander next, but I would take one for a long test drive first. My 657 is 2 years old with 100 hrs on the clock. We hate it and leave it in the storage building. Its only used to back up the back up origional surfer.