PDA

View Full Version : Town is making people bag leaves next year, please help!

ince8728
11-02-2004, 06:55 PM
I recieved a letter from the town I live in that next year it will be manditory that the leaves be bagged or hauled away. I have 20 accounts in this town and I have no way to haul them away. I don't have the money for a truck loader or a dump truck. I also work part time for a landscaper when i am free so i was thinking that if he was willing, I could do the clean-ups & put the leaves on the curb then sub-contract him to do curb side pick-up. What do you guys think?

- Matt

tiedeman
11-02-2004, 07:00 PM
welcome to my world. We don't have curb side pickup, you either have to haul them away or put them into these little tiny bags that they sell for 35 cents each...not fun.

Is there no way for you to build some kind of box on a trailer or a truck for the leaves to haul them away with?

ince8728
11-02-2004, 07:06 PM
well the truck i have is also my daily driver so i don't want to make it work like a work truck, also i only have one trailer which is for my equip. It would also take too much time to dump them, so I think the sub-contract idea would be my best bet.

orangejbird
11-02-2004, 07:13 PM
There's a town in Iowa who's city maintenance dept. took a used Hesston stacker and modified it for leaf pickup. This is a farm machine (pulled by a farm tractor) used to pickup hay, corn stalks, or whatever (cow chips?) with flail knives, blow it into a large 8' x 14' compartment that compresses the stack periodically as it fills. The homeowners simply move leaves to the street and the leaf crew sucks em up and hauls them away. I don't remember the name of the town or where I saw it. Maybe the city needs to come up with a better way to pickup leaves.

PR Fect
11-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Matt, you need to charge by the hour next year for your leaf removal. Its cool that the city gave you the advance warning. Some of our accounts we put the leafs curbside for city crews to remove. Some have us dump them on site (woods). And some we haul away. All get charged by a flat per man hour rate. We would never do leafs on a bid if we can help it. It should be done like snow removal, by the hour. We haul with the Lawn maintenance truck and the mower trailer. We where hauling on a small 4x5 snowmobile ( if you know what that is )trailer years ago. We now have a much larger mower trailer so the rate per hour is much higher. Just like your mower, small mower, low rate per hour, large mower, more bucks per hour. The city did you a favor, they gave you more work, you should be happy. The more work you do the more you make! And you did not have too spend anything to get the new jobs!

all degree
11-02-2004, 07:56 PM
matt what town?

ince8728
11-02-2004, 08:03 PM
if i had the time i would gladly do it but i only do this on the weekends so time is limited cuz i have school. Here's the deal, there's no way in hell i'm going to bag all the leaves and i have no way of hauling them away so i'm willing to sub-contract out to my boss cuz i know he won't try and steal the accounts. I would be doing all the work of getting them to the curb, i just need a way to get them taken away.

ince8728
11-02-2004, 08:04 PM
i'm in central jersey, and yes i do charge by the hr

all degree
11-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Ok central jersey but what town. I am in Neptune.

chuckers
11-02-2004, 09:07 PM
load the truck and find a farm that will accept it. we have a farm so we dump there and then we just add it to the manure pile or put it in the field to be plowed under

proenterprises
11-02-2004, 09:09 PM
maybe on these lawns you could just mulch the piss out of the leaves as best you could, then what ever particles are left either blow them out evenly or put them into a couple of bags. its not my first choice but it sounds like your stuck here.

mtdman
11-02-2004, 10:47 PM
I'm in the same spot maybe next year. Ann Arbor has been trying to eliminate their pickup for two years now, and will try again next year. Most lawns have so many leaves I'd be bagging for days. Sucks when the town goes broke and eliminates services that affect me. They won't pick up bagged grass clippings any more either.

Albemarle Lawn
11-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Just don't do leaves. As the number of people who clean up leaves dwindles down, prices rise, and residents may find it inconvenient and expensive enough to let the town know they want to reinstate the service (and pay for it).

Here we used to have free large-item pick up. (Brush, appliance, etc). You would get 2 free pickups per year. Now, it costs $25. Still it is a bargain and people are willing to pay. Surely there is some middle ground.

Leaves are still pickup up curbside for city (but not county) residents.

STAN1366
11-03-2004, 03:43 AM
Why not mulch the leaves, then put a catcher on your mower and put the mulched leaves into large plastic garbage bags? Then take them to your "boss" and dump them into his truck. You can charge the customer for hauling them away and not have to give up some profit by having your "boss" sub contracting the pickup.

work_it
11-03-2004, 07:40 AM
Sounds like your customers are just going to have to learn that leaves are a pain in the arse, and expensive to get rid of. Just make sure that if you decide to sub out the hauling you bill the customer for that.