PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys weld if not you should?

CharlieBingo
11-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Just curious how many scapers can. It's one of the best things, I ever learned and assumed all of us did. My friends are always asking me to weld this and that; it's such an easy thing to learn,I was surprised that not everyone does!

fga
11-02-2004, 08:05 PM
i'm getting alittle one for christmas. :angel: its at homedepot, "severe duty" :cool: i really don't know where it ranks, but i'm sure it will knock out any task that may need it for. Minor projects mostly. i'll be learning as i go. i did read alot on it though.

cantoo
11-02-2004, 08:24 PM
I can build or repair most things. I always have a ongoing list of projects to work on. Last year I built 8 trailers and many attachments for my mowers and tractor. I also buy stuff repair it then either use it or sell it.

lqmustang
11-02-2004, 08:30 PM
I don't weld currently (no pun intended :rolleyes: ), but it is one of the things I am looking at doing during the off season. Gonna see if I can find a course that I can take at a nearby college or adult ed class. I always try to do something in the off season to keep me busy and expand my knowledge, otherwise I'd just sit around and get fat. lol :drinkup:

GreenMonster
11-02-2004, 08:31 PM
It may be more accurate for me to say I can stick metal together :o

I have an old-timer buddy that does fab work for me. B/P blower boxes, tool racks, ramp gate, etc.

proenterprises
11-02-2004, 09:01 PM
i plan on learning soon, their is welder at my dad;s shop that he uses, im sure ill get him to teach.

LB Landscaping
11-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Funny you mentioned that, I just drove an hour each way to a buddy of mines house so he could do some repairs on my trailer. I will definatly be learning over the winter, comes in very handy.

Itsgottobegreen
11-02-2004, 10:48 PM
I am right now taking a Welding class at college. I am trying to get my structural welder license. I bought a Miller 210 Mig welder w/3035 spoolmate. So I can weld aluminum and steel. I plan on buying a Miller 200 SD DC TIG/Stick welder this winter. I weld on the side in the winter months. Along with building some more toys for the next season. If you have a license you can get a job any where. Thats my current back up plan until I am out of college.

Its something everybody should know how to do. Easiest way is to find yourself an old timer to teach you. They know all the tricks. Or plan on spending $250 to $1000 on a class.

What ever you do when you buy a welder. Stay away from the cheap welders. Trust me, been there done that. Get yourself a Miller or a Lincoln or ESAB. Remember DC is your friend. AC buzz boxes (seems like everyone has one) create weak welds.

I am forever welding equipment back together for friends. No welding shop is open after 5 pm on a Friday around here. You just broke the frame on your ZTR at 7 am Saturday morning and have a full day of mowing. Just what are you going to do. Call Me. Never fails. When ever I get a Saturday off, somebody I know breaks something. So when you buy a welder, plan on getting some real good new friends.

pjslawncare/landscap
11-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Ive got a Lincoln 220, a mig welder & a acedeline gas setup for cutting. Id be lost without welding capabilities

Leone LawnCare
11-02-2004, 11:13 PM
i may only be 18 but i can weld like the best of them i went to a technical school specializeing in welding my senior year. My tig beads are perfect. If you guys have a welder but cant weld something pm me and i can help.

Runner
11-03-2004, 12:12 AM
I'd be lost without it. The stuff is just too expensive to have done to not learn it and do it yourself - or atleast have a friend that does it well. One thing about it, though. It takes lots and lots of practice. You have to have some time to be good. The more you do it, eventually, the better you are.

STAN1366
11-03-2004, 03:33 AM
Being able to weld is like working on your own equipment. Sometimes you need to be able to fix something and the time it takes to bring it to a shop to get it done isn't worth it. I bought a small Daytona mig unit 15 yrs ago and while I'm far from being a pro welder, I can fix or make things at home when it's just not convienent to take my equipment to someone else.

Travis Followell
11-03-2004, 06:11 AM
I consider myself to be a pretty good welder. I can stick weld and MIG weld. I've never used a TIG welder. Welding sure is a good thing to know how to do.

ScCo
11-03-2004, 06:41 AM
while most of my welding time comes from helping build Dirt Track Modifieds, I do on occassion have to weld on some of the equipment. Knowing what our local welders get per hour...i'm glad I know how.

I consider myself a decent welder...however in comparison to the two guys that build the race cars full time...my welds suck. Those guys are absolutely awesome at every part of fabrication and welding.

Richard Martin
11-03-2004, 07:01 AM
I have the area's premier welding company right around the corner from my house. I am also a very good friend of both owners. They do welding, I cut grass.

Island Lawn
11-03-2004, 07:31 AM
It's something that I would like to do.

Mostly for trailer repair, add ons, etc.

Maybe all I would need is a "AC Buzz box"?

I've visited weldingweb.com through these forums, but that's a diff crowd over there, and not very focused on lawn equip.

but I dunno really...