PDA

View Full Version : New Gator Blades

LCME
11-02-2004, 09:19 PM
Cutting grass stopped here. Mostly all leaves have fallen. So, I went to the dealer to get my gator blades. Cost was only $8 each. If it is not raining tomorrow I will be mulching leaves with my gators. Never used gators before. But, looking forward to the results.

GreenMonster
11-02-2004, 09:22 PM
You should try them on grass, too.

tinman
11-02-2004, 09:24 PM
They work good when I use them with my leaf collector . Very few clogs. May not last as long as regular high lift blades though IMOA

The Yard Barber, Inc.
11-02-2004, 09:28 PM
if you get a mulching kit put on your mower they will really work great. you can go over spots and it is almost as clean as it is if you bag it. its cool try it. a good mulching kit for my big mower was i think about $120.

tiedeman
11-03-2004, 02:08 AM
you will love them especially for leaves. You will be like, "Why the heck wasn't I using these before."

Travis Followell
11-03-2004, 06:14 AM
How well do they do just cutting grass and side discharging? I am considering getting a set for our Woods mower that just clogs up in thick grass. I'm hoping they will improve side discharging so it will not clog up.

ThreeWide
11-03-2004, 07:37 AM
I just bought my first set this week also.

The subject lawn had no leaves, but the cut quality was great. Those blades striped better than the high-lifts I had been using.

My Exmark mower does not have a mulch kit installed.

Tvov
11-03-2004, 07:54 AM
How well do they do just cutting grass and side discharging? I am considering getting a set for our Woods mower that just clogs up in thick grass. I'm hoping they will improve side discharging so it will not clog up.

Depending on your deck design, they may actually be worse at discharging. They simply have less lift, and don't move the clippings like high-lifts do. We use the high-lift blades under gator blades set up.

KathysLGC
11-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Also check to see if they are real Gators or not. I think the real Gators throw the clippings/leaves toward the center spindle area and the knock offs throw them out-ward.

LCME
11-03-2004, 09:35 AM
Also check to see if they are real Gators or not.

I believe they are gators if there is a stamped picture on the blade showing a gator looking at you. Gator logo I mean.

jt5019
11-03-2004, 09:39 AM
I just put Gator magnums on my scag zrt no mulch kit yet.Even without the mulch kit just have to double cut the heavy leaf areas and they almost disappear.

LCME
11-03-2004, 10:26 AM
I just put Gator magnums on my scag zrt no mulch kit yet.Even without the mulch kit just have to double cut the heavy leaf areas and they almost disappear.

What are gator "magnums" ?. While at the dealer I asked for gator blades. Is there a difference?.

tiedeman
11-03-2004, 10:28 AM
Depending on your deck design, they may actually be worse at discharging. They simply have less lift, and don't move the clippings like high-lifts do. We use the high-lift blades under gator blades set up.

Have to agree, I pull my gators off for during the season and put on high lifts, and then come fall I put back on the gators for leaves.

gator magnums are just thicker, but they do last longer

chevyman1
11-03-2004, 10:36 AM
the gator magnums are 40% thicker and have a high lift panel on the back....they are so thick my Dixie and Ferris actually cut about 1/4 lower than normal I have noticed. They destroy leaves with the side discharge. I run them at the same time as my Cyclone Rake this weekend behind the Dixie and mowed 2 yards before having to dump the 300 gallon wagon, unreal how small the leaves and clipping were between the gators and the impeller on the cyclone, I'm guessing between 7 and 10 to 1

LCME
11-03-2004, 10:40 AM
D'oh! should of asked for magnums. Oh well, just have to do with what I got.

KathysLGC
11-03-2004, 10:59 AM
I prefer the normal Gator blade compared to the Magnums. Less weight and slightly less lift/blow out.

LCME
11-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Gators work great. I first use my 7001 to blow leaves out onto the lawn. Mowed over leaves discharging small bits. Then, attached the catcher and did a final mowing to clean-up. I only discharge the back yard. Chopped up leaves first pass. Was not necessary to bag the back. The purchase was well worth it. All I need now is to get an ocdc or make one. And, I attached a trash can to the front of my mower. Placed a leaf bag inside the trash can. Once the catcher was full I dumped the debris into the bag. Saved me some time and I could pick-up sticks and use the can to hold until I was done.

Tvov
11-05-2004, 04:48 PM
All I need now is to get an ocdc or make one.

Try just taking the shield that came with the mower and bend it down. You may have to cut the sides to do this. Drill a hole, then use either a length of rope or a bungie cord to hold it up or let it down. You may have to take off any spring hinges if it has it. If the shield is plastic this won't help.

A OCDC that you purchase will be better, but this works.

LCME
11-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Tvov, great idea. Why didn't I think of that.

PLM-1
11-05-2004, 05:54 PM
I wished i could have found gators that cheap! Mine were 19.95 each! Is that way over priced?? Where does everybody get thiers? I got mine from my GH dealer.

Tvov
11-05-2004, 06:21 PM
I wished i could have found gators that cheap! Mine were 19.95 each! Is that way over priced?? Where does everybody get thiers? I got mine from my GH dealer.

I missed the $8! That is a very good price. My dealer has them for $15-$19. I found that buying mail order wasn't any cheaper because of shipping and handling.

PLM-1
11-05-2004, 06:25 PM
i'm glad im not the only one that pays that much!

LCME
11-08-2004, 11:14 AM
I was a bit confused at the $8 each price too. Because when I called the dealer and asked how much for gator blades he said about $15 each over the phone. A week later I went to the dealer to pick up the gators and the cost was $9 each. Actually the first ones were $9 each but when I got home they were the wrong size. So, I went back and got the correct size and they credited my account by $3. I should go back and get a second set for that price. Maybe I should buy from the dealer and sell on ebay for a few dollars more. :p

LCME
11-11-2004, 12:58 PM
While using my gators the other day. I first bagged the front yard. But, for some reason I was not sucking up all the leaves. Leaves were being mulched good but I was leaving a trail of mulched leaves. Is it because I have regular gators. Maybe I need more blade lift to pack the catcher better. What do you guys think?.

KathysLGC
11-11-2004, 01:29 PM
you might of been going too fast or the catcher was full. Could also be blow out.

Tvov
11-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Were you using double blades? High lifts underneath gators?

LCME
11-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Were you using double blades? High lifts underneath gators?

No, just regular gators. So, from what you're advising I should put gators on first the a set of high lifts and bolt. Will my blades that came with my mower be fine for high lifts?.

PLM-1
11-12-2004, 10:46 AM
No, just regular gators. So, from what you're advising I should put gators on first the a set of high lifts and bolt. Will my blades that came with my mower be fine for high lifts?.

If they are high lifts. I run that setup in leaves and does an awesome job!

Freshcut Lawn Care
11-12-2004, 11:18 AM
LCME...Maybe your deck was set too high! :)

Tvov
11-12-2004, 12:45 PM

Give it a try, see how it works.

LCME
11-12-2004, 01:25 PM
LCME...Maybe your deck was set too high! :)

Yes it's possible. I never thought of that. Currently have the deck at 2.5". So, maybe 2" will help. I guess I need to do a little trial and error to figure it out. But, thanks to all here for the various adjustments ideas.

LawnBoy89
11-12-2004, 05:43 PM
So you can put the stock blades right directly underneat the other blades?

Tvov
11-12-2004, 08:44 PM
So you can put the stock blades right directly underneat the other blades?

Yes, but at a right angle, so it looks like a "+" (or a "x").

This is what is meant by "double blades".

cleancutccl
11-12-2004, 10:07 PM
So which would you guys say is a better buy, meg-mos or gators? Looking to buy one or the other and have heard great things about both.

Ray & Karen
11-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Would the 20 hp on my Toro 52 in have enough power to turn a set of doubles with high lifts and gators. I would guess no. Any thoughts.

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-13-2004, 06:14 AM
I have not tried Meg-mos for 2 reasons.....cost and the HP question. I have a 61' Stander with the 23hp Kaw. It is under powered in my opinion.....

Double works well for me. I have run double Gators this entire leaf season and it has worked well. The rest of the season I ran hi-lifts and Gators.

Derek

Tvov
11-13-2004, 08:24 AM
Would the 20 hp on my Toro 52 in have enough power to turn a set of doubles with high lifts and gators. I would guess no. Any thoughts.

Try it. If you feel it can't handle it, than switch back. I've been running doubles on my ancient JD 48" belt drive w/ 12.5Kaw without any problems for years. Although, being belt drive I am not losing all that horsepower to run the pumps.

Tvov
11-13-2004, 08:25 AM
So which would you guys say is a better buy, meg-mos or gators? Looking to buy one or the other and have heard great things about both.

Folks that have used both are going to have to answer that. I've only used gators.