PDA

View Full Version : I think I goofed!

Little o
11-02-2004, 10:23 PM
I'm in the process of laying out the business plan for this Spring of 05'. Trying to cover all my bases. Truck, trailer, pesticide licensing requirements, tools, advertising, etc.. Kind of the worrywart type that I am, I decided to go down to City Hall and ask about City ordinances on parking my lettered truck and soon to be lettered enclosed trailer in the driveway of my house.

Code enforcement officer wasn't in, lady at front desk dials the direct number to the guy, and I left a brief message. Haven't yet communicated with the guy yet, but he leaves a voicemail stating that he has some ordinances about a home business with commercial vehicle parking at a residence.

Driving around the city, I'm all eyes now, observing all kinds of people either parking their work rig at home or taking home a company truck, ie, mechanic trucks with cranes, welding rigs, trucks with lettered doors etc..

If his beef is about the home business, I can title the Master Business License at another piece of property I own in the adjoining City. Then I'm thinking that he can't say that the physical location of the business is in town. Now I'm just taking home a company truck or company car like everyone else. If his beef is the lettering I'll tell the guy I'll buy a custom cover for the truck and trailer and cover it at night.

My original intention was to look at all the potencial potholes in the road in front of me, maybe a neighber calling and squealing on me, and having the guy knocking on my door, telling me I'm in violation unprepared but I'm thinking I just screwed myself.

Man, I don't want to have to rent a space, lose security of the rig with all my tools, just want to get up and mow.

Anybody else run into this problem, or have any suggestions.

Doug

mtdman
11-02-2004, 10:40 PM
Shoulda kept your mouth shut and not said anything. You might have been illegal in parking at your house, but it would have been up to them to find out.

I don't keep my stuff at my house, per my preference.

tiedeman
11-02-2004, 11:02 PM
I really don't see a problem with parking a commerical vehicle at your residence. What's wrong with that? Now, whether you can have a home business there is another question though

HOOLIE
11-02-2004, 11:14 PM
In my town a commercial vehicle is considered to be more like a large stake-body or box truck. Regular pick-ups w/ lettering are OK. They keep changing it from year to year. Not sure about trailers, don't have one yet myself.

Like tiedeman said, I'd just park it at home, if you're in violation it might be a long time before they catch up to you. Just have a back-up plan in place.

Little o
11-02-2004, 11:19 PM
mtdman, I know, after I did it, the little voice said, that was dumb. Its not a large city, so if someone is gonna have a cow it's gonna happen, but still dumb. I just used my I didn't know card, and didn't get nothing out of it.

tiedman, Neighbors have been cool, just have my doubts about a couple, it's in a upper end neighborhood, sometimes those type just frown upon the working man trying to earn a living. I can count three other lettered trucks within a stone's throw, as well as the blue tarped boats and trailers on the side of the house.

Runner
11-03-2004, 12:06 AM
Many of locations' ordinances are worded that the equip. must be kept to the back and/or side, so it is not exceeding out from the front of the house. The reason they do this, is a visibility thing. Are you able to atleast do this? If so, it would sort of atleast be back out of the way - sort of low profile.