PDA

View Full Version : U.S.D.A giving fines to LCO's

KINGjosh
11-02-2004, 11:34 PM
While I'm at the gas station talking with the local LCO's and a pest control guy, they were telling me to watch out for the U.S Department of Agriculture. They said that if USDA see you finish up with a lawn and you don't spray all your equipment parts that came in contact with the grass, down with 50/50 bleach water, and the bottom of your shoes, and your pruning shears. They can fine you up to $1,000. Because all of the lawn diseases and citrus canker. I dont know if theres any truth to this, but they sounded like they weren't jokin! Ever hear of anything like this?

Del9175
11-02-2004, 11:52 PM
About 4-5 years ago I was told about this. Part of my county was considered a quarantine zone. We were supposed to tarp all loads and spray down all equipment like you stated. I used to carry a solution around with me for about a month, but I haven't heard or seen anyone doing these things nowdays. As far as I know they haven't found any canker in some time.

tiedeman
11-03-2004, 12:17 AM
I can picture it that in some locations in the US that there could be a need for this

lawnman_scott
11-03-2004, 12:45 AM
While I'm at the gas station talking with the local LCO's and a pest control guy, they were telling me to watch out for the U.S Department of Agriculture. They said that if USDA see you finish up with a lawn and you don't spray all your equipment parts that came in contact with the grass, down with 50/50 bleach water, and the bottom of your shoes, and your pruning shears. They can fine you up to $1,000. Because all of the lawn diseases and citrus canker. I dont know if theres any truth to this, but they sounded like they weren't jokin! Ever hear of anything like this?
No its not true.

greendave
11-03-2004, 07:47 AM
YES, YOU CAN BE FINED YES THEY ARE CHECKING Go to www.doacs.state.fl.us/canker/canker/index.htm or www.aphis.usda.gov/oa/ccancer.html
and READ UP! It is YOUR responsibility to know if you are in a citrus canker area and what steps to take if you live in these counties in Florida:
Broward Miami-Dade Collier Hendry Hillborough Manatee Martin Desoto Lee Charlotte Glades. There are more......

out4now
11-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Never heard of this actually happening. There would have to be some really serious danger to a crop or something fro them to waste time on a thing like that. How many people do they have to enforce it where you are? I would think it would be unlikely that they would actually do it.

Fantasy Lawns
11-03-2004, 10:52 AM
http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/canker/schedules/ca-q-lawn-land.pdf
Heres the paper work to read

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/canker/menu1.htm

This has been true for years ..... but you have to be working in a "quarantined" area ..... sign a canker agreement n get your decal for work truck .... then they just have to look for this .... the pest guys are 'exempt" if just pulling a hose but if they have equipment i.e. spreader than that has to be clean

There was a story on this in the local TV like 2 summers ago in O town when it was more wide spread n most of the commercial operation added a surcharge to compensate for the extra time

You can see the tags on trees from the last threat if it was in your county ....When we last had it ... they were cutting trees down n getting a lot of people $%$@ off .... the local deputy has to follow Asplundh when they were out removing trees within the 1900 foot area of a found effected tree

After all we are talking of a almost $9 Billon dollar industy to our state