PDA

View Full Version : Where are you going?

tiedeman
11-03-2004, 02:06 AM
So where is everybody going in regards to where they are taking the company? Services, growth, etc. Where do you want to be in general?

tinman
11-06-2004, 09:28 PM
Going to try & get tighter Mowing routes (maybe 50 customers total next year) per tiedeman's advice, push fert program, really push Pressure Washing Service (Hopefully 2 - 3 Houses per week).
May try & get some yards in my part-time helpers area (about 30 miles from my house) & let him do those solo.

Shuter
11-06-2004, 09:31 PM
No loss for next year. I have narrowed most of my work down to one high end neighborhood. I currently service about 80% of the properties.

Smithers
11-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Tiedeman, thanks for starting this thread. I'd love to know what everyone is planning/hoping for next year.

I am a part timer this year and have only 3 solid accounts. I hope to get at least 10 lawn maintenance jobs for next year. I still want to leave my weekends open so that i can do a few small landscaping projects as well - planting bushes, small sod jobs, flowers, trimming, straight fertilizing, etc. I am taking the class for a fertilizer applicator, which is the first step to a license.

Tinman gave me a good idea with the pressure washing service. Some of my clients can definetely use it.

Also, i am thinking about offering "Compost Application" to my clients. I know that it will help the lawns to get really what they need.

George

tiedeman
11-06-2004, 10:45 PM
thanks for the praise guys.

leadarrows
11-07-2004, 10:08 AM
In the process of buying one hundred acre farm. I will be taking in yard waste and composting it. I have two new contracts to provide 1000 and 300 tons of gypsum per year respectively to be available by June of 2005. I only generate 400 tons per year with my construction clean up services so I will be contacting some of my competitors to see if they would be interested in paying less than the transfer stations to dispose of there drywall. The problem with that will be quality control. When hand loading the drywall at the job sites it will be there responsibility to make sure there is no trash in the loads. This may prove to be the hitch in my plans and I may have to find a conveyor belt that has a magnate to help facilitate the removal of the nails.
By next fall any of you in my area that need a place to get rid of yard waste are interested just let me know. I haven't made my price decisions final yet but I will be lower than the local transfer stations.
I'll know if this land deal is going to go through no later than January.
Of course if this happens as planed it will mean that I will be needing to hire at least one full time employee and possibly two. So to answer your question I hope to make the move from full time laborer in my company to more of a management position and only be a part time laborer. At fifty years old I have worked to wards this goal for a long time and I sure am looking forward to it. :)

N.H.BOY
11-07-2004, 10:21 AM
My goal is to just get more lawns. New guy wants more lawns.New guy wants more lawns. I WANT MORE LAWNS. GIVE ME MORE LAWNS. Im part time LCO and I really WANT MORE LAWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lawnguyland
11-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Ahh, the eternal question...
I'm solo so if I stay that way, which I love, I'll just keep culling the herd for the highest profit, easiest, nicest accounts.
If I start hiring I'll have to advertise and grow of course.

JustMowIt
11-07-2004, 12:08 PM
So where is everybody going in regards to where they are taking the company? Services, growth, etc. Where do you want to be in general?

Our goal is to quit phone duty by hiring our first office help ,(outside of family) and adding 1,000 new Just Mowing accounts to our existing 2,000
MJ

rodfather
11-07-2004, 01:56 PM
A couple of things:

1. I am NOT doing the books anymore to include daily input or monthly invoicing. I just hired someone yesterday to take this responsibility away from me. I figured she will cost me less in wages than the mistakes I know I made this year. For instance, I forgot to include a whole day's mowing with 5 guys in the month of May and didn't find out about it until July. No, I won't tell you how much that cost me :angry: And there were plenty of other mistakes I made.

2. We are up 23.8% YTD 2004 as opposed to 2003 (thank God for Quickbooks). And 2003 was a great year for us as well. I figure on adding 2 guys to mow 3 days a week and do prunning, mulch, etc., the other 2 days. In 2004, I had one crew of 3 mowing and another crew of 2 mowing (both crews 5 days a week). Plus myself and a helper 5 days a week doing all we could.

3. I am going to spend more time with sales, PR, and overall management of my company as well. I'll be 50 this Saturday, and although I can keep up with my full timers and college guys, I have to ask myself do I have to be so involved with the physical aspect of it? Nope, that's why I have them.

Guess that's it for now. Great thread tiedeman...

Kelly's Landscaping
11-07-2004, 05:30 PM
To find stable employees and at least one key man that we can grow with. I just got rid of a mistake and it feels damm good and despite the arguments that will follow with my partner I am not taking the loser back. I am going into fall with a virgin crew and it is not worrying me at all I have done that so many times in the past I am use to being the only one in a company with any talent.

Cheesedawg1
11-07-2004, 06:46 PM
To find stable employees and at least one key man that we can grow with. I just got rid of a mistake and it feels damm good and despite the arguments that will follow with my partner I am not taking the loser back. I am going into fall with a virgin crew and it is not worrying me at all I have done that so many times in the past I am use to being the only one in a company with any talent.

Virgins are the worst.

mtdman
11-07-2004, 06:46 PM
I was just thinking about this today.

My aim is to hire at least on part time helper next year. Whether that means in increase in customers or not. I need more time away from working in order to work on the business. I hope to increase the number of regular customers, of course. First year since my partner quit that I am looking to grow.

And I am looking to expand the extras that I offer, looking to do more of those.

:D

BMFD92
11-07-2004, 09:56 PM
I will put the business under my name and not my dads so I will pay the taxes and insurance on my name then I plan on adding more lawns(I hope!!) and purchasing a trailer and the New Exmark Navigator. I also hired a new employee that i will train over the winter and he will work for me while im in college.

simsy71
11-07-2004, 10:02 PM
I have to tighten my route. Doing this part time after work and on weekends I do not have the time to be driveing all over the place.

jajwrigh
11-07-2004, 10:25 PM
This is my final season for mowing and maintenance, so next year brings new challenges my way. I am going the fert/squirt, aerating, and landscape install route. I am moving to a different side of town and need to redevelop my clientele, tailored to my new services. My focus will be on customer growth for sure!

;)

dvmcmrhp52
11-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Add a mowing crew,(2 guys) More snow removal, Push for more trimming jobs (shrubs and small trees) Tighten routes with removal or addition of customers, Get more customers under contract.

CJ GreenScapes
11-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Change all of my customers to bank draft. I am tired of going to the Post Office every afternoon and cussing my slow payers. I don't care if they all choose the 15th or later, just knowing what to expect will make my life alot easier.

That's my goal anyway...