PDA

View Full Version : Customers won't stay away from running mower, need advise.

Tinkerer
11-03-2004, 03:36 AM
Two of my customers have small children. One customer, who I am friends with will let the kids be out while I am mowing. This family has 2 boys that are both very intrigued with mechanical stuff. I have sent out letters to customers about safety, but after a while I'm back to square one with the kids getting as close as 10 feet of me on the mower. The parents act in this way too. This just isn't safe as I know the blades are spinning 180mph at the tip. I have thought of making a simple video showing what a rock can do. I have thought of mailing out a letter printed on red paper just on the safety issue. Does the OPE or some other organization sell a video that I could buy cheaply and send to customers? Any suggestions?

Mickhippy
11-03-2004, 04:48 AM
Give them a letter staighting that while on there property, you will charge them $1(or what ever) per minute waiting for the children to get out of the way!
Tell them that you will not mow while there are children/people anywhere near where your working and if there is, you will shut down the mower and wait till they leave the area..... At there cost!

I wont mow a lawn even if theres a dog that can come near me! Its lock them up or no mow.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-03-2004, 07:40 AM
I think I would have to stress the safety issue alot harder to them or maybe you will have to stop providing a service to them.When I was a part time cutter in the evening there was always kids home from school when I was mowing. Now that I am full time I try to cut the houses that have kids while they are at school.

Tvov
11-03-2004, 07:49 AM
I had one customer who wanted me to scalp (with the string trimmer) under part of his chain link fence. Fine, except he wanted to hold up the fence for me while I scalped! I did my best to be polite, but was very firm that I would not trim/scalp while he was a good 12" away. Similar stuff happens when we do pool areas in summer, having to shoo them inside while we work. This isn't too bad when there are some good lookin' bikinis...

Be polite about it, but stay firm about no kids in the yard. You may end up having to leave half way through mowing just to make your point.

impactlandscaping
11-03-2004, 11:31 AM
This shouldn't even be an issue...either they stay inside, or drop the account.....period.

PLI1
11-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Time to let them know you mean business!!! Tell em one more time they and the kids need to stay out of the way or you're dropping em. Not worth the potential lawsuit, or it being on your concience that you injured a child.

dvmcmrhp52
11-03-2004, 06:57 PM
The mower doesn't run with children in the yard. Period.
There is NO discussion on that subject.
My brother and I have a friend who's nephew lost BOTH legs below the knees because his father backed up the mower not knowing his son had walked up behind him............he was 2 years old.
Put yourself in that position........................

lawnman_scott
11-03-2004, 08:30 PM
I would stop what I am doing and tell the kids to go inside or stay away. I have had to do it many times. Being kids, they wont listen till you yell or swear in most cases. Worst case senerio the parent gets mad at you for swearing at their kid (has never happened). Or the other way, kid with no legs or life.

proenterprises
11-03-2004, 08:38 PM
saftey is an issue which i feel very strongly on. nothing should be near you when you are running equipment, humans or animals. i have seen a number of accident on contruction sites, and all of them could have been prevented. make it very clear to them, either they are in the house or your not working!!!!!!!!! period end of story.

locutus
11-03-2004, 09:21 PM
I firmly yet politely tell my customers that they must keep their children in the house while I'm on their property. 100% compliance, no complaints.

Runner
11-03-2004, 09:52 PM
I would be happy to introduce to an associate of mine who is an LCO. I've known him for years, and he is also known by some other members on here as well as on other forums. He had a commercial property that had a rental unit on iy among some other things. There were kids that always played outside when they were there, and though he spoke to the people that lived there about it, it never seemed to help. The best thing that happened, was that the kids would play on the other side - away from the mowers. Well, one day, he got the call. It was one of his employees saying that "You better get over here quick. When he asked what happened, the employee just replied. "Just get over here."
Well, he left right away and drove as fast as he could. When he arrived, he was told what happened. His guy was coming around the corner of a high fence, slowed down and took caution, and proceeded when it was clear. Well, he hit a stone, and it flew a considerable distance, and hit this kid right square beside the eye. He was told that it didn't look good. The mother was already on the way to the hospital with the child. For a while (about 2 weeks), they didn't know if they were going to be able to save the eye, or if the kid would lose it. Well, they couldn't save it. Now, don't think for a MINUTE that there wasn't a MAJOR lawsuit, because there was. His insurance was somehow able to take care of it, but this kid is STILL without an eye for the rest of his life.
Now, the point is, just because SOME people are to ignorant of what can happen with the power of these units, US, as operators, should know better. If they can't abide by simple common sense, then you pack up and go elsewhere. No ifs, ands, or buts. I don't WHO they are, if they are friends of yours or friends of the popes. All it takes is once, and when it happens, it's gonna happen fast....and it is irreversible. There is NO mowing account worth the liability of this. You'd BETTER TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtdman
11-04-2004, 12:25 AM
Sounds to me like you just have to talk to them. Forget the letters. I have found people usually ignore notices I send them, and the best way to communicate with them is in person, face to face. Just tell them, stay away from the mower.

Tinkerer
11-04-2004, 01:32 AM
While we are on the subject, has anyone found the latest injury statistics. The last time I read it in a newspaper, an average of 75 poeple per year die from injuries related to mowers. Often from them rolling over them on a hill. The most common serious injury is like one guy said, mower backing over a child and cutting off legs. Lots of homeowner riding mowers now have an automatic shutoff feature when the mower goes into reverse.

trying 2b organic
11-04-2004, 01:32 AM
It can be tough sometimes and your freinds eg is a good one. You have a signed contract with an important HOA, you are breaking into a new neighbourhood and maybe even bought a new mower. Then there is that one rental with the parents and kids who wont listen. I can see how tough it would be to warn twice then walk out on the contract. Esp when the general public doesnt know as well as we do how dangerous it is. (broke a shatter proof window this week) That said, I of course agree with the advise and when it comes to saftey say that a broken window is a bad day, a lost eye, a very very bad yr at best.